Phishing links going around on Discord or Why I Learned to Hate Bots.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Hey y'all i've been hearing reports from some friends, including a few of the Bar Citizen Discords, that phishing links pretending to either be official Discord communications, free stuff like Nitro, or changes to the ToS are being sent out by bots. Read any links you get sent carefully, if they don't say Discord.gg, they are not from Discord and it's just an attempt to steal your account credentials.

This is a good time to activate 2 Factor Authentication. (2FA)
You can do that by going to user settings, clicking "Enable 2FA" and putting in your phone number.

Example of fake link:

They are going to ask you to input your discord login information, don't do it, don't click them, don't be stupid. Or do be, it's your choice. I just don't recommend that particular choice.

Last edited:

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
To be fair, a ton of bots, trolls and whatever else join the discord. It's actually why I left the discord server for a while as it lets in anyone. I reported a bot to the mods which was fine and it got booted, but several days later I had 3 new messages from new ones and saw several people previous mention it. I'm not one for spam, trash or trolls. Leaving a discord freely open just invites in trouble after a while.

I haven't been messaged from a bot since

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
1) Do not accept friend requests from people you do not know. Nobody needs to be your on your friends list, they are all in the server you choose and your PMs.

2) Simply set this to "Keep me safe". Problem solved.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?