Propaganda - "Where We Go One, We Go Drunk"

KingNewbs

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
KingNewbs
I know it would've been better if I'd made the Aurora crashed into the moon, but I'm not that good at arty stuff.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
delete the one, it just serves to confuse the reader in that context.

KingNewbs

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
KingNewbs
As if confusing the reader was not one of my top priorities! :)

But also I'm guessing you haven't seen WHITE SQUALL? You should watch it.

Last edited:

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
As if confusing the reader was not one of my top priorities! :)

But also I'm guessing you haven't seen WHITE SQUALL? You should watch it.
I understand what you're saying, but the first time I read it, I was completely confused. Any text that requires you to go back and read several times in order to understand should be revised grammatically.

Perhaps something more along the lines of, "Where we go: One, we go drunk. No, wait, I can think of a better one. Something with moons?"

The colon serves to separate the two lines of thought, as well as putting you into a proper position to make a list. Whether that list is completed or not relies on the source material. Regardless, without proper punctuation, the reader will not understand that you have gone into a secondary clause until they have already meshed the "one" and "Where we go" together. The grammar is clear enough after rereading several times, but can be easily fixed by a :.

KingNewbs

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
KingNewbs
Nah, that's not the thought. It's not a list. I see what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree :)

Here's the quote unmodified: "Where we go one, we go all."

Thanks though! I'm glad you're into grammar and stuff, but I'm pretty set in that department. Also in a squardon full of drunks and misspellers, I wish you continued good luck in your stated mission! You'll need it!

Cheers! :D

Reactions: o-BHG-o

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
but, where we go one makes no sense! :'(

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
but, where we go one makes no sense! :'(
I disagree - it is indeed a clumsy sounding construct, but I took it to mean "wherever there is a TESTie, there is drunkenness." And I was entirely unfamiliar with the original phrase.

Plus, the clumsiness of it paired with the second-guessing of the second and third lines helps to communicate the alcohol-induced cognitive impairment of TEST.

Reactions: o-BHG-o
Forgot your password?