PSA: 1060 owners DO NOT Update your NVIDIA Drivers to 397.31

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I used to just click on Update when ever the GeForce experience update prompt popped up, but that usually happens like a week after release for me, some kinda bug I guess, so I got lucky so far. It didn't prompt me to update for this patch, I just saw the article in my news feed.

Reactions: Radegast74

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So far (knock on wood) I haven't been affected. The best source of info right now is this article at https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidias-39731-geforce-drivers-are-causing-a-pc-reset-loop-for-some-users

If you are impacted, these are the steps to take:
Right now there appears to be a working method to roll back to v391.35. Affected users need to download the older driver and the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) software. The next step is to reboot into safe mode and uninstall the v397.31 driver using DDU, you can then boot normally and install the older v391.35 drivers.
Reading the reddit Nvidia subforum and the Nvidia support forums it is hard getting a sense of what is really going on. It has been affecting primarily 1060 cards, but also has been impacting others, as well. The primary OS's have been Win10 and 8.1. I'm running Win7, not sure if that is what has saved me. Also, note that the Nvidia removed support for Fermi cards with this update...but still gave them the automatic download, which caused a whole bunch of problems, until they fixed that. That has made it harder to sift through the problem reports on the forums. Sheesh...

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?