Quantum Drives explained by Chris Roberts

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Yes, it is TL:DR but is worth the time........

---------------------------------
Please Upvote my comment to Chris Roberts in his post.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/quantum-drives/2031482
Thanks
--------------------------------
Greatly appreciated
That is all...............

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/quantum-drives/2031482
Thanks
Greatly appreciated
Thanks for sharing, I never would have found that on Spectrum :)

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
He does a good job laying his vision out however if there are going to be these 'hard' limits on travel per jump then rest stops need to be more prevalent and offer more than what they do now. They need to be a place you can stop in, put your feet up for a bit and then head out again.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My bigger concern is the "stealth nerf" of the starfarer ships. Now, instead of being designed to harvest and refine quantum fuel, which is what we have been told all along, it's now
The Starfarer will be able to transport and deliver / refuel in flight both regular thruster propellant and Quantum Matter. It will also be able to refine Quantum Matter into Quantum Fuel. The only aspect not decided is the mining aspect as we really don't want to make the Starfafer a heavy duty mining ship but its likely we'll have some smaller equipment; like a hand held mining device to allow you to EVA out to collect Quantum Matter - but we haven't decided this just yet.
I get allowing other ships to collect quantum fuel, but instead of of saying "no, you can't mine quantum fuel with the starfarer", instead say...Quantum fuel requires specialized mining lasers and storage systems that do not work for mining non-quantum materials. Ships like the Prospector and Orion can choose to mount these specialized lasers and collection systems. In the orion, you can choose to replace some or all of the mining lasers and containers with quantum systems. For the prospector, you have to choose one or the other. Both of these ships come with mining lasers that only work on non-quantum materials, but can be changed out once you purchase the needed equipment in-game.

The Starfarer comes with quantum mining-laser and storage systems. They can also change the quantum systems over to non-quantum systems by changing out it's mining laser(s) and containment systems. However, the refinery systems are integrated (hard mounted) and cannot be removed.

Starfarer transfer systems can work both ways, both supplying refined quantum fuel to ships in need, and allowing it to load it's tanks with mined, but un-refined quantum fuel gathered by suitable equipped Orions and Prospectors.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I get allowing other ships to collect quantum fuel, but instead of of saying "no, you can't mine quantum fuel with the starfarer", instead say...Quantum fuel requires specialized mining lasers and storage systems that do not work for mining non-quantum materials. Ships like the Prospector and Orion can choose to mount these specialized lasers and collection systems. In the orion, you can choose to replace some or all of the mining lasers and containers with quantum systems. For the prospector, you have to choose one or the other. Both of these ships come with mining lasers that only work on non-quantum materials, but can be changed out once you purchase the needed equipment in-game.

The Starfarer comes with quantum mining-laser and storage systems. They can also change the quantum systems over to non-quantum systems by changing out it's mining laser(s) and containment systems. However, the refinery systems are integrated (hard mounted) and cannot be removed.

Starfarer transfer systems can work both ways, both supplying refined quantum fuel to ships in need, and allowing it to load it's tanks with mined, but un-refined quantum fuel gathered by suitable equipped Orions and Prospectors.
This ... makes a lot of sense... Had to read it twice, but yeah. There is quite a lot of game play potential if there are inter-ship dependencies like that.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Thanks
Greatly appreciated

I'll read the TLDR when I'm better awake. This being said, I went ahead, read your postings there & upvoted them for you my friend.

Early this morning, while my wacky Ewok mind was moving far too fast to let me get to sleep, I posted a new thread on Spectrum in the Concierge area. It seems to have received a little attention, but it would never hurt to also receive some TEST Squadron love from those of you capable of checking it out if you would be so kind. It appears that at least 1 of us already has. Thank you @TheStoicWhale . I'm also thankful to each of you willing to check it out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/7/thread/something-missing-from-the-vip-concierge-items-set

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
My bigger concern is the "stealth nerf" of the starfarer ships. Now, instead of being designed to harvest and refine quantum fuel, which is what we have been told all along, it's now

This was my big issue all day after the announcement and I'm still going on about it. The Starfarer is sold as "Designed to collect and refine quantum fuel". Now with the new flight model/heat change and their reason they gave in todays article, the ship loses one big aspect of a selling point. It is now but a gas barge for basic fuels that can refine raw quantum material into fuel if someone gathers it by hand or if they decide to allow prospector/orion to mine it (which will involve changes to those ships or modules/attachments). For most I can see them after a while just selling the raw material to trade depots or selling it to the starfarer pilots to refine after. It just takes alot of gameplay away from the Starfarer.

I can for sure see the gameplay perspective from it, it could mean we will see mining ships with Starfarers sure which is good but all these changes to so far 3 ships, maybe more to come because they decide to change the flight models and heat, which is already causing tons of issues in other areas for other ships such as combat ships

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

You should put that up on Spectrum (if you haven't already...)

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So I literally just started thinking about getting a starfarer yesterday. Does this mean if I got one I would have to mine quantum fuel in my prospector (or Orion if I spring for one) and then get a third party to help me load it into my Starfarer for refining and delivery since I can't fly them both at the same time?

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
upvoted them for you my friend.
Thank you.

Early this morning, while my wacky Ewok mind was moving far too fast to let me get to sleep, I posted a new thread on Spectrum in the Concierge area. It seems to have received a little attention, but it would never hurt to also receive some TEST Squadron love from those of you capable of checking it out if you would be so kind. It appears that at least 1 of us already has. Thank you @TheStoicWhale . I'm also thankful to each of you willing to check it out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/7/thread/something-missing-from-the-vip-concierge-items-set
Excellent post.
Upvoyed & Commented.

Forgot your password?