Queen Elizabeth II passes

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Mostly for members from the UK and Commonwealth countries, but she had a lot of respect and admiration from other countries.
Rest in peace, Your Majesty.

This might be the cause of a lot of debate in the Commonwealth at least, and potentially in the UK. We'll see.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Born in to a life of expectation, ceremony... and as it turns out servitude for an entire country - she rose to the challenge exceptionally and defined the role of head of state.

My favourite quotation I have heard this evening is that she saw her role as 'Easing the passage of change for the British people'. Which sounds about right - a famous example being she beat almost all of us to the internet sending her first email on the ARPANET in 1976...

Like many Britons I have never known an era outside of the Second Elizabethan, and I'm sure I will really never know the actual effect her guiding hand may have had on the country as it traversed uncertain waters over the last seven decades - the details of the conversations in her weekly meetings with the Prime Ministers during her reign, all 15 of them, remaining a closely guarded secret.

A persons passing is terribly sad, but as was pointed out on the radio as I drive home, this monarch maybe more than any who had come before her is notable as not just having been closely known across the country, not just being known across the commonwealth, but known across the world.

Farewell, Big Liz.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
NaffNaff, I'm British. I have never been fan of the Royal Family due to the cost, entitlement and the hangers on, IE Prince Andrew (who is now only still popular in Rochdale and Rotherham) However if you want to live in a functioning democracy, having a head of state who has no day-to-day impact on the elected parliament seems like the best system. I want us to be a republic but have no idea how to achieve it and be better than the system that we have. Therefore,
LONG LIVE THE KING

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
NaffNaff, I'm British. I have never been fan of the Royal Family due to the cost, entitlement and the hangers on, IE Prince Andrew (who is now only still popular in Rochdale and Rotherham) However if you want to live in a functioning democracy, having a head of state who has no day-to-day impact on the elected parliament seems like the best system. I want us to be a republic but have no idea how to achieve it and be better than the system that we have. Therefore,
LONG LIVE THE KING
I totally get where you're coming from, it's an odd little system but it seems to muddle on in some form of compitence doesn't it?

I'm no Republican, I'm no Monarchist (I have no opinion on either, I mean I live in the East Midlands, as if either has any effect on my every day there is nothing here to be effected), I'm just me and the world is whatever it happens to be at this place and at this time I happen to be in it, and it's sad someone who has been a big part of public life all my years has ceased to be.

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
We lived in London when she was crowned. She passed by our house on her Royal Progress through London - we cheered and waved to her from the balcony of the pub next door (our landlords.)

Seventy years on I am still using my Coronation Souvenir shoe shine kit!

IMG_20220908_204333.jpg

Last edited:

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
The passing of an age it seems.
"Kings died, kingdoms fell. I don't regret the kingdoms - what sense in borders and nations and patriotism? But I miss the kings. "

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
We lived in London when she was crowned. She passed by our house on her Royal Progress through London - we cheered and waved to her from the balcony of the pub next door (our landlords.)

Seventy years on I am still using my Coronation Souvenir shoe shine kit!

View attachment 23395
It's a while ago Maynard, but do you recall the name of the pub and its location? I lived in London 30 Years ago and visited many of them

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
It's a while ago Maynard, but do you recall the name of the pub and its location? I lived in London 30 Years ago and visited many of them
it was The Load of Hay, on Haverstock Hill in Hampstead. It dated from the 1600s

sadly it was turned into a fern bar and offices a few years ago

our cottage was converted from the pub's stables - my bedroom was once a horse stall

Last edited:

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Hampstead still is a good place to live, "IF" you want to live in a big city. 32 Years for me, this was my local in 1990. The area has changed a bit, the black and white image is from 1989, the other is from google. I lived just up the road. Do other countries change as much?
320 A1206 - Google Maps

Attachments

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Hampstead still is a good place to live, "IF" you want to live in a big city. 32 Years for me, this was my local in 1990. The area has changed a bit, the black and white image is from 1989, the other is from google. I lived just up the road. Do other countries change as much?
320 A1206 - Google Maps
lol, that could be literally anywhere in the east of the Mississippi, Lake Superior in North America, right down to the one way streets. The only thing that tells me it's definitely somewhere in the UK is the road signs in the second pic. Do those v shaped street markers mean you have to to swerve in jagged lines in case there are pedestrians?

Here, where I live (Texas) and where I'm from (Ontario) they have these red octagon signs with a white line around them and the word STOP in big white letters. Those mean "slow down a bit".

Last edited:

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Varik the "Zebra Crossing" in both photos is one of the most compiled with parts of our road network. I think this is because 99% of drivers are also pedestrians, therefore the social agreement holds. The Zig Zag lines as we call them are a no parking zone to allow unobstructed views of pedestrians. If a pedestrian stands on the pavement next to the crossing traffic will stop to allow them to cross.

Forgot your password?