Quest 2 vs Quest vs Valve Index vs Vive

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Lots of stats to look at here comparing the new Quest 2 to the Vive and Valve index

DeviceOculus Quest 2Oculus QuestValve IndexHTC Vive CosmosHP Reverb G2
Starting Price$299$399$999$699$599
Pixels per eye1832 x 19201440 x 16001440 x 16001440 x 17002160 x 2160
Screen refresh rate72Hz at launch, 90Hz to come72Hz80Hz to 144Hz90Hz90Hz
Weight503 grams571 grams809 grams645 grams550 grams
TrackingInternal camerasInternal camerasExternal SteamVR towersInternal cameras (SteamVR with upgrade)Internal cameras
Battery capacityTwo to three hoursTwo to three hoursN/AN/AN/A
ProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon XR2Qualcomm Snapdragon 835N/AN/AN/A
RAM6GB4GBN/AN/AN/A
Storage64GB or 256GB64GB or 128GBN/AN/AN/A
ColorWhiteBlackBlackTurquoiseBlack
Facebook required?YesNoNoNoNo
Controller chargingAA batteries (2)AA batteries (2)RechargeableAA batteries (4)AA batteries (4)

Reactions: FZD and Bruttle

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Why does valve charge so much more for a clearly inferior product? 144hz is not feasible in VR for most people right now, while resolution absolutely makes a difference in VR right now, right?
2160x2160 per eye at 90hz looks like it could be the best experience among these headsets... ???
I'm not a VR guy as I don't want to adopt it yet, I feel it's not ready... gaming PCs, games, headset technology.... minus a nerve gear situation, if I go VR, I want to get lost in the VR reality

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Why does valve charge so much more for a clearly inferior product? 144hz is not feasible in VR for most people right now, while resolution absolutely makes a difference in VR right now, right?
2160x2160 per eye at 90hz looks like it could be the best experience among these headsets... ???
I'm not a VR guy as I don't want to adopt it yet, I feel it's not ready... gaming PCs, games, headset technology.... minus a nerve gear situation, if I go VR, I want to get lost in the VR reality
Well, maybe because it's not inferior? The Index, while wired, has features that distinctly set apart it's image quality.

IMO, none of them are delivering on the promise yet, and that's as much a software issue as a hardware one. Very little of what's I've seen application-wise has held interest.

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
For me it needs to be wireless, its the selling feature.
Same here. Once I tried VR in a wireless format, there was no going back. VR is just fine wired, but that cord is always on my mind when I'm playing games. This is particularly noticeable when I'm playing an active game like beat saber or superhot. The difference in immersion really can't be understated.

So with that in mind, there is one stat that is missing. That's the wifi capability. Now, I'm no network guy. I don't know near enough about wifi, compression tech, or what precisely they mean to bandwidth. What I do know is that Oculus Quest was capable of wifi 5 (2x2 MIMO, 802.11ac), whereas the Quest 2 is running wifi 6 (Qualcomm FastConnect 6800). Allegedly that means that the Quest 2 has the potential to have up to 250% faster wifi.

It sounds to me like the quest 2 was designed with full wireless pcvr in mind. I don't think they talked about it during the event. At least, I didn't catch anything. They have to be working on it though. This looks like they set themselves up for that capacity, but can't do it just yet and wanted to save that announcement for another day.

Reactions: Bambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Quest 2 is running wifi 6 (Qualcomm FastConnect 6800). Allegedly that means that the Quest 2 has the potential to have up to 250% faster wifi.
That is the biggest selling feature that they completely neglected on mentioning.

Streaming a game from your PC to your HMD with low latency...

I fully expect Oculus to announce their own version of ALVR or Virtual Desktop for this purpose.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
More videos coming out now on the Quest 2 showing the screen vs the Quest 1

This is a massive leap forward in resolution!

1600798499732.png

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Copy paste of the headset I have, the Samsung Odyssey. I picked it up for 300 bucks a year or two ago to replace the original Vive. It does everything I need it to do. The vive tracking was better but I havent found myself doing much roomscale stuff. The picture was much better I just wish it had a bigger FOV. They do have the Odyssey + but I don't think theres much difference. Even though its WMR you can use it with steam.

General
PlatformMicrosoft Windows Mixed Reality
DisplayDual 3.5” AMOLED ; 1440*1600@90Hz/60Hz
InterfaceHDMI2.0+USB3.0 Interface Bounded Cable (13.1 ft. length)
LensSingle Fresnel
Field of View110∘
IPD60 - 72mm range
Camera6 DOF camera * 2
Sensor6-Axis ACC & Gyro ; 3-Axis Compass ; Proximity sensor ; IPD Sensor
Acoustics2 MIC support Cortana ; built-in headphone (AKG Brand)
User InterfaceVolume ; IPD adjustment
Tracking AreaNo Limit (Inside-out)
Built-in MicArray MICs
Built-in Audio Spatial Audio (AKG)
Controller6 DOF Controller / Xbox One Controller Support
ConnectionsHDMI ; USB3.0
Dimensions & Weight
Product Dimensions (W x H x D)7.95" x 5.18" x 4.37" (HMD Body)
Package Dimensions (W x H x D)12.04" x 7.34" x 15.0"
Weight
Product Weight (lb.)1.42lbs. (without cable)
*Cable weight: 0.39lbs.
Box Weight (lb.)4.89lbs.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
It's not necessarily the resolution that's important, but the distance between the pixels. You can have lesser resolution but a shorter distance between the pixels, which makes for a better experience visuals wise.

Secondly, tracking. Index has external towers, which makes for more reliable tracking, cosmos is also capable of this which is good. The rest, well, internal tracking can work, but afaik it still has flaws in certain situations.

Thirdly, weight, and it's distribution. Overall, lighter is better, but then again if all the weight is 5 cm in front of your eyes that'll stress your neck more than having heavier headset but with the weight distributed more evenly.

Now, I'm not going to say which one of the headsets is the best, but I am going to say that the only clearly inferior ones here are Quests.

Forgot your password?