Question about Joysticks/Yolks

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Hey everyone, so I decided I was going to get me a joystick finally! My issue though is I play a lot of MS Flight Simulator 2020. I am currently working on my private license and I was told to get the yolk and start making a set up to practice flying from home. I was just curious if the yolk, pedals, and throttle would be compatible with star citizen or if I am better off getting a separate joystick and throttle for star citizen? Just wanted to see what you all use. Thank you.

Reactions: Deroth

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Right now the prices are through the roof for any kind of flight gear. If you can wait for prices to get back down to retail, I recommend it.

Yolk throttle and pedals would work for SC, though you are missing a couple of degrees of freedom in most setups.

In flight sims you are only talking about pitch, yaw, roll and thrust. In space you also have strafe left/right and strafe up/down. Also thrust in space can be negative.

This is why I like the Logitech X56 and why many people recommend dual sticks for Star Citizen.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yolk would work with SC and would be immersive if you were running freight in a starfarer or freelancer!!

Not so good for dog fighting though.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Hey everyone, so I decided I was going to get me a joystick finally! My issue though is I play a lot of MS Flight Simulator 2020. I am currently working on my private license and I was told to get the yolk and start making a set up to practice flying from home. I was just curious if the yolk, pedals, and throttle would be compatible with star citizen or if I am better off getting a separate joystick and throttle for star citizen? Just wanted to see what you all use. Thank you.
Sayora asked the same question few day ago. Might read all the good tips there !

Reactions: Hero9012 and Deroth

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well, the yolk whould sure funcion inside SC, but your concern are right: as pointed out by @BUTUZ it maybe more suitable for a relaxed flying, like in cargo run or exporation, I don't see it work well for combat or more active flyiing since you need to use both the trottle and the stick quite a lot.
You could of corse try it out and get the feel of it, if you decide to go for a separate joystick as Vahadar mentioned Sayona asked for advice just a few day ago and the tread is preatty exaustive on the options and considerations.

Reactions: Hero9012 and Deroth

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
flying in real life is nothing like what SC/space sims are in general. I would advise you use a yoke for one and a joystick for the other to differentiate them in your own head

Reactions: Radegast74
Forgot your password?