Railen Q&A, Hull B Change

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
There was an interesting tidbit buried in the Railen Q&A.

The Hull-B is the dedicated small-crew cargo ship and, as such, has a much lower capacity for onboard living for its two crew
Previously, the Hull B was listed as having a Max Crew of 1.

What are they expecting the second crew member to be? Stevedore, gunner, engineer, etc.?

Does this also mean it's only going to be a short range ship as well?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
stevedore
/ˈstiːvədɔː/
noun
  1. a person employed at a dock to load and unload ships.
Interesting, learned something new there.

Anyhow, I kinda figure that anything with less than 1k SCU would be more of a in-system or neighboring system trader, don't see how taking 300 SCUs on an hour long perilous journey could possibly be profitable.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
They didn't know for sure what they want to do with the Hull series and the C is the only one that's seen development, however; I think Hull B was always planned to be 2 people. It has both pilot and turret weapons. The main issue with the A, B and C is small, medium and large components. The B is the largest cargo carrier that appears can be stealthed. We'll see.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
There was an interesting tidbit buried in the Railen Q&A.

Previously, the Hull B was listed as having a Max Crew of 1.

What are they expecting the second crew member to be? Stevedore, gunner, engineer, etc.?

Does this also mean it's only going to be a short range ship as well?
Welll tecnically a crew of 1 is defenetly a "small crew"... smaller then this is called drone....

Considering that ships like the Freelancer, and the Cutlass has a crew of 4 and 2 respectivly and that old concept ship have the tendencies to grow in size do to re-adjustment of the metrics I don't see so strange that the Hull B will grow to accomodate a crew of 2.

I'll expect for the future to see single man crew ship to be limited to small fighter or dedicated small ship, like the Hull A, the Prospector, the Volture etc... just a bit bigger and they'll jump into 2 crew member if not more.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Wait wait wait wait wait
You put standardized cargo boxes INSIDE those triangular pods?
Sounds like this one will be extremely painful to load up manually.

And what, There are like 40 of those triangular thingies. For 320 SCU capacity, it'd be something like 8 SCU per container. This means you can't load those large standard containers, which means it'll take 12 times longer than if you could (moving 1 SCU at a time instead of 2*2*3 SCU at a time). (Since they're triangular, if you could load up large SCU boxes, each would need to have a capacity of 36, or 3 large SCU containers.)
Somebody seriously didn't think this one through. Hope they'll fix that in the future, it's such a nice ship in every other aspect.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Wait wait wait wait wait
Mmm wait till they release the Vanduul's trapezoidal pods or the Tevarin's torus pods 😜 I've even heard my barber told the story of the man who saw the man, who saw the Thing about some new race fractaloid pods, this one will be a challenge 😅

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I always suspected that there would be a potential crew of 2 for the Hull A & B since you have the pilot & somebody to handle the engineering or other tasks for the pilot.

In regards of the triangular pods on the Railen, I'll do my best to offer Xi'an cargo handlers free use of my Railen's scratch wall after they finish loading me up as a tip for a job well done. It might not get done as quickly, but it'll be done with pride & care by them.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Placing square pegs in narrow square holes is harder than placing square pegs in triangles that have more corner space than needed?
Not quite sure what you mean? Anyhow, I'm just saying, loading up 40 areas instead of 1 area is already pretty bad, but if on top of that you have to move 640 boxes (320 out, 320 in) instead of 52 (26 out, 26 in), well, manually loading up Railen seems like an experience mainly targeted at masochists.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wait wait wait wait wait

And what, There are like 40 of those triangular thingies. For 320 SCU capacity, it'd be something like 8 SCU per container. This means you can't load those large standard containers, which means it'll take 12 times longer than if you could (moving 1 SCU at a time instead of 2*2*3 SCU at a time). (Since they're triangular, if you could load up large SCU boxes, each would need to have a capacity of 36, or 3 large SCU containers.)
Somebody seriously didn't think this one through. Hope they'll fix that in the future, it's such a nice ship in every other aspect.
Placing square pegs in narrow square holes is harder than placing square pegs in triangles that have more corner space than needed?
I feel like this is pertinent . . .
1624633466194.png

Forgot your password?