Ratfeast in Wonderland, or the Travels of Astro-boy in Space

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
I had noticed an interesting bug while doing an EVA. I shut the door fo the Origin 315P on my head as I was getting in and the spacecraft was immediately thrown away from me at great velocity, ending up, when I located it again, over 1200km from me, and moving rapidly away.
I thought, "that's odd" and reported the bug. Some time later I came to realize, with my long history of getting myself in strange places in games, that must be the way this game handles collision detection (when your body and a solid object intersect). Then I thought "If I could do that on a planet, it might throw me quite a ways". So I went looking for bugs in Area 18. And, as expected, I found one fairly quickly (this is an alpha build).

If you go to the information desk in the Astro Armada building, then jump onto the plant to the left of it, then jump toward the wall blocking the desk from the plant, you end up like this:

with your body intersecting the wall. From there you can walk a short distance with your body half in the desktop. If you get down and crawl from that area, strange things start to happen. The first is that you can crawl part way into the area behind the desk, and if you stay within the wall, you can get even further behind the NPC.

If you stay crawling within the desk you go into Wonderland!

At first, you'll move into a transparent desk. If you keep crawling around under there, it will eject you into the air, and you can end up some interesting places, like on top of a light fixture:

You can move around some in the walls and jump onto the invisible bubble around the spacecraft:

Sometimes you'll just end up in mid-air, much to the amusement of those passing underneath you:

But, as I predicted, sometimes, if you get it just right, it will throw you thousands of feet into the air.
the first time I was so startled to see the spacecraft flying underneath me, that I didn't get any pics , and I have yet to jump that high again. Although, I did jump well out of the building:

This is real high. The space lanes are just above me,

This is looking to the side over the rooftop, and I start falling...

and falling... and falling... and falling... and falling... and falling...

AND KERSPLATTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..........................................................
..........................................................................................................
..................and then you wake up behind the locked doors of the ER:

and, you jack with their computers....

Go try it, it's a blast, particularly the first time it throws you out of the building.

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
That's some impressive game breaking!

Kirk B

Commander
Donor
Apr 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Kirk B
It's my job!!!
Love your dedication! I followed the steps you provided and arrived in wonderland! By the time I got back I had missed my child's birth. And his funeral! In fact, everyone looked at me funny when I mentioned a game simulating spaceships. Because spaceships are real now! I am writing this to the past using a wormhole I discovered while flying what I can only call an Aurora. Star Citizen is prophetic in more ways than I thought possible! Greetings from the distant future. I thought I would find my place here, but I think my only real home is in the sun.
--Kirk B -- Signing off
p.s. the real life future TEST organization is pretty boss. The original 9000 Org members have libations poured for them whenever a beer is drunk. Apparently they all perished when the first version of the aurora was released in 2040 (Elon musk and space x delivered) and they promptly purchased every one and flew them into Sol, cementing their place in history.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Love your dedication! I followed the steps you provided and arrived in wonderland! By the time I got back I had missed my child's birth. And his funeral! In fact, everyone looked at me funny when I mentioned a game simulating spaceships. Because spaceships are real now! I am writing this to the past using a wormhole I discovered while flying what I can only call an Aurora. Star Citizen is prophetic in more ways than I thought possible! Greetings from the distant future. I thought I would find my place here, but I think my only real home is in the sun.
--Kirk B -- Signing off
p.s. the real life future TEST organization is pretty boss. The original 9000 Org members have libations poured for them whenever a beer is drunk. Apparently they all perished when the first version of the aurora was released in 2040 (Elon musk and space x delivered) and they promptly purchased every one and flew them into Sol, cementing their place in history.
Very cool, welcome to the future. Sorry about the kid, he'll get over it. Did you go flying? Did you get some pics?
:D:D:D

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Here's a teaser:
What it actually did was push the planet 1200m away from beneath you.

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroSam

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Yeah, that took me 10-15 tries before I could record that, It's always a surprise because it happens so fast, you're crawling around under a desk and suddenly you're up the clouds.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Hm, can't get into it.Three times I had the infinite loading screen. I'll try it again later or tomorrow =/

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch
Forgot your password?