Real game play

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
I’ve been doing cargo runs to earn credits. Staying around Crusader, nothing high profits just ore and medical supplies. I wanted to workout how long it takes to earn enough to buy a ship in game. It’s low stress, and repetitive. So I was in my Freelancer heading off from the pad and I noticed another ship coming in. Not sure what it was, but it was an Agis design I noticed the cockpit. That was cool as hell to me CIG has checked off the ships from one manufacturer should have shared designs. I wasn’t worried to much, lots of traffic in and out, traders just trying to make a buck. I was to busy geeking out that I could tell it was an Agis ship by glancing at it. That’s when this guy/girl decides to pop my loot piñata. Suddenly I’m getting lit up from behind. I have my QT pulled up and all I got to do is break atmosphere. I know I’m no match for a dedicated fighter, if it’s a Warden about that size I’m done for. So I move my shields full aft and start strafing left, right, up, down. I see shots flying past as he/she is trying to lock me down. I have slammed my throttle limiter full up and just keep slowly gaining speed. Then what seems like an eternity I break atmosphere and the indicator flashes blue. In my best Han Solo I shout punch it, and everything stretches as I pop into QT...

That was by far the most fun I have had is a game in forever. Picking out the ship on sight, feeling the stress of having someone gunning for me and making the conscious decision the best bet is to run. Watching the shots fly past wide, as I was successful in evading. Then which all that excitement the flash of blue and jumping to QT. Just awesome! Even now as I am telling the story it has currency for me. I could imagine reliving it with friends over drinks... The take away is they have brought this game to an amazing place already, iron out some bugs sure, but it’s starting to get real fun. The fact that it will only improve from this point is great. To my would be assailant, better luck next time, I hope sucking my con trails didn’t taste to bad.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That sounds like a very typical kind of situation to be in, and I would note had you been flying a slower bird like the Connie, you'd have bought the dirt nap.

Good for you, choosing to run and fight another day. Sounds like a wise decision to me that worked out well. I am curious though, had that player waited to open fire until they were <2km behind you, would you have noticed them on your six and run, or would you be recounting how you lost your cargo? A Hoplite wearing an Absolution Distortion Scattergun would have imoibilized you in his first shot, and you'd have been at the mercy of his boarding crew. So question is whether you would have noted you were in a high risk situation in time to avoid the boarding?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Indeed it's only going to get better when they can target your subsystems when they start working together with an emp disruptor or jump inhibitor. Or even better when you have been running your ship on minimal maintenance to squeeze every last UEC and the jump drive fails to initialize. So you continue to bob and weave while your co-pilot goes back to smack it with a wrench.

It really is tales like this that will give this game its longevity and a healthy player population actively engaged. While some have brought up the lack of content, story missions, and overall progression, I have always seen the game as being so much more. It's the stories we get to write, the adventures we can share over a beer of our close escapes, or losing everything on a high-risk trade route. Of getting caught up in the moment of awe when coming in from freaking space to land at dusk at area 18. From watching @mr-hasgaha latest videos to reading others stories and screenshots of training the test way.

To think they are almost done with the last major engine modification with the server side object container streaming which will free up the development teams to go back to making new gameplay features that will only enhance the gaming experience.

But in the end even with AI and flushed out features and missions the heart of the game will always be our stories our adventures of victories, defeats and drunken shenanigans. And so I thank you @Duhb for sharing your adventure and I look forward to hearing more.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
While some have brought up the lack of content, story missions, and overall progression, I have always seen the game as being so much more.
Honestly, I can't keep up with all the detail being released about the SC universe, and I don't even play! I just want to be well informed when the time comes I can play. Given my status as unable to keep tabs, I have to wonder whether any players who complain about content are actually digesting all that regularly becomes available. For instance, these folks who complain about lack of content, have you ever asked whether they have actually watched all the Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy series? I don't even know how many vids there are, but it is a LOT!

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
That sounds like a very typical kind of situation to be in, and I would note had you been flying a slower bird like the Connie, you'd have bought the dirt nap.

Good for you, choosing to run and fight another day. Sounds like a wise decision to me that worked out well. I am curious though, had that player waited to open fire until they were <2km behind you, would you have noticed them on your six and run, or would you be recounting how you lost your cargo? A Hoplite wearing an Absolution Distortion Scattergun would have imoibilized you in his first shot, and you'd have been at the mercy of his boarding crew. So question is whether you would have noted you were in a high risk situation in time to avoid the boarding?
Nope never would have realized till it was to late. It was like my tenth plus trip, I had seen bunches of folks coming and going. I had let my guard down and almost paid the price. If I was playing the pirate role, man a place like this would be a golden goose... just wait and pick a fat Connie or Starfarer and snag it on it’s way out. But that’s the gameplay, this time I got away, next time I may not. My next run was to different location for a couple trips. Then back, and yup was way more observant. I’m just happy that for a couple moments there it was, the game as it is coming together, and two citizens having a good time playing the game we have all backed. Not a one sided blow out, not a hopeless shutout. I hope that distortion stays in, but I’m a fan of having to strip shields to distort and EMP them. So it’s not just a cheap one shot gun, but I also think if you let someone get in tight on you you should pay the price. I think it would have been hilarious if he had blocked me being able to QT and we just ended up too speed running across deep space till one of us ran dry on fuel. Whoever makes the first big mistake looses.... now I’m curious, how far is it worth a chase to pop a small cargo ship? I know depending on what your loaded it’s not a huge cargo, but 27 per unit, and 66 scu is a lot of credits. Once you can load cargo by hand it will be worth a lot I would guess.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Nope never would have realized till it was to late. It was like my tenth plus trip, I had seen bunches of folks coming and going. I had let my guard down and almost paid the price.
This is the best part of PVP. It doesn't let you get complacent, dull or autopilot in your actions.

now I’m curious, how far is it worth a chase to pop a small cargo ship? I know depending on what your loaded it’s not a huge cargo, but 27 per unit, and 66 scu is a lot of credits. Once you can load cargo by hand it will be worth a lot I would guess.
I think this will always be at the back of the mind of any pirate when picking targets and reevaluating how the battle is going.

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
@Bambooza I agree, I like playing on pvp servers for that reason. When CIG and CR talked about how they wanted to handle pvp I was stoked, no way to completely avoid it. I think that will build a certain amount of good stress. You could put all your credits into the cargo your about to run, but what if pirates? Maybe it’s not a good idea. That’s the mind set that will drag people into the universe. And give them the immersion so many want... I said immersion, everybody drink! Feeling connected will be what keeps people in the game, and make the grinding enjoyable.

Denerius

Admiral
May 17, 2019
RSI Handle
Deneriuss
@Bambooza I agree, I like playing on pvp servers for that reason. When CIG and CR talked about how they wanted to handle pvp I was stoked, no way to completely avoid it. I think that will build a certain amount of good stress. You could put all your credits into the cargo your about to run, but what if pirates? Maybe it’s not a good idea. That’s the mind set that will drag people into the universe. And give them the immersion so many want... I said immersion, everybody drink! Feeling connected will be what keeps people in the game, and make the grinding enjoyable.
I think this is the best reason to play with groups and crews and maybe rotate what who does and when so everyone has a chance to do it all and make the credits. It's one of the main reasons I jumped in. The social aspect and ability to have these adventures and share them is the key. However, nobs like me will always need some guidance.

Forgot your password?