Replaced some parts on my laptop and its almost like new

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
So a long time ago my kid dropped my laptop onto the floor on its side and it broke the powerport a bit and my old charger. i replaced only the charger back then and didnt do anything about the port. Since then he dropped it probabbly another 10 times and it ended up making the power port loose from the inside and cracked it along the side all the way to the headphone jack. Since this computer was 2k back in its prime and it still works great for 90% of what i do on this machine i decided instead of replacing it i would give it a go and fix just the base shell and the power port. After 3 grueling hours of misplacing screws and taking the whole thing down to barebone litterally i took out the base and replaced it. then reassembled everything took about 3 hours and 110 usd now the power cord fits nice and snug no more giant crack and it all came together fantasticly. I think i gave this machine another 5 years on its life(as long as the minnion doesnt drop it anymore). only thing i may still want to do is replace the audio controller as it seems its a bit loose and not to expensive.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
The last laptop that I bought for myself years ago was great at the time but was a bit slow after a couple of years. Spent the money on a nice SSD and some more RAM for it and the thing was like new after that. Of course this was like 8 years ago when you could still do basic upgrades on a laptop. Now I just let work give me a laptop and I do most of my stuff on my PC.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
The last laptop that I bought for myself years ago was great at the time but was a bit slow after a couple of years. Spent the money on a nice SSD and some more RAM for it and the thing was like new after that. Of course this was like 8 years ago when you could still do basic upgrades on a laptop. Now I just let work give me a laptop and I do most of my stuff on my PC.
You can still do upgrades but you have to be a bit more savy your options for upgrades though is alot more limited though unless you want to take a chance to break the system and go all out modding chips and what not.

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Nice work!

I've got into the habit of stripping my dead machines for bits and bobs. I'm not at the point of being able to do more than replace a keyboard or a screen, but I've an SSD that has been in three laptops and counting. For internet I now find second-hand netbooks/laptops and run them into the ground, don't need anything more than that for the majority of the time :)

Forgot your password?