RSI Constellation Series - Pilot Chair

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

I once went in a Connie to Levski to get some (full cargo hold of) beer :beer: home, just for usual Friday.
After coming back to my Hangar, I've been sitting in my comfy Pilot Seat, leaning back, looking up with my head on the head rest.

Then I suddenly got it: the chair should be able to move forward, but the functionality is not there.
It actually makes a lot of sense: the view is so much better, and you can see what's above and below you through the glass ceiling and floor, like in Aurora.

I'll give you an example with Aquila.

Here's the mechanism that should move your chair, right in the middle of the cabin:

The chair should slide forward:

Like what's we've been told is going to happen with Carrack:

Then the view is something like this:

Looking down, and the view is like this, much easier to land and navigate when you need to see what's below:

Looking up also opens a good view:

Whereas currently looking down the view is like this, not very helpful in navigation:

Looking straight is also a bit more cramped:

What do you think?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hi All,

I once went in a Connie to Levski to get some (full cargo hold of) beer :beer: home, just for usual Friday.
After coming back to my Hangar, I've been sitting in my comfy Pilot Seat, leaning back, looking up with my head on the head rest.

Then I suddenly got it: the chair should be able to move forward, but the functionality is not there.
It actually makes a lot of sense: the view is so much better, and you can see what's above and below you through the glass ceiling and floor, like in Aurora.

I'll give you an example with Aquila.

Here's the mechanism that should move your chair, right in the middle of the cabin:

The chair should slide forward:

Like what's we've been told is going to happen with Carrack:

Then the view is something like this:

Looking down, and the view is like this, much easier to land and navigate when you need to see what's below:

Looking up also opens a good view:

Whereas currently looking down the view is like this, not very helpful in navigation:

Looking straight is also a bit more cramped:

What do you think?
The central chair is for the Captain, not the navigator/pilot, so he needs access to those HUDs better.
I believe that you both have great points on this. This being said & CIG willing, at the end of June, I'll still prefer the view from the 600i captain's chair myself . ;p

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I think it makes sense. I'd have to experience it before i decided whether or not it was an improvement tho.
What I mean is the chair should have the functionality to move front and back, so that when you need to have more control over the multiple displays, you stay at the back, but if you need more visibility when navigating in difficult conditions or for landing, you should be able to move the chair forward.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
What I mean is the chair should have the functionality to move front and back, so that when you need to have more control over the multiple displays, you stay at the back, but if you need more visibility when navigating in difficult conditions or for landing, you should be able to move the chair forward.
What? Scoot yer chair forward?!? What new madness is this?

Thoriam

Admiral
Feb 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Thoriam
I've had very similar thoughts about the middle (Captain's) chair on the 600i concept art. It feels like it's too far back to be an effective Pilot's chair. I'm hoping (because that's all we can do) that they allow for some adjustments like that, depending on personal preference.

Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?