RSI Mantis Thread - Tuesday update posted - New Pics and Article inside, Page 10

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I know we do group mining, it was just an example of a group activity that you might be able to jump into on a day you only have 2 hours to play but there is a group doing it. But I also said I could see how some people ( not myself) might find something like that boring. The same holds true for other activities, like trade runs or bounty hunting or PvP that could be going on at a given time, you might like one but have no interest in the others. or it could be none of the above are going on, even in an org this size.

I was more pointing out the fact that if in the above example you only have 2 hours play time for the week, and you do luck out and something catches your eye you still have a problem. Especially if you can't plan when during the week you'll get those two hours meaning you can't join events reliably.

Supposing that you find a group you still need to gear up, get the appropriate ship (or wait for someone to pick you up if you're going as crew), and travel possibly long distances to wherever the group is before you're actually ready to "play", eating up a lot of your limited play time. And that's for what would most likely be an ad hoc PUG, likely less organized than a prearranged group activity, and how long do those take from the planned start time to actually beginning the objective? Grouping up sounds like fun, but if things are moving more towards "having" to group and you only have a couple hours, finding a group doing something you like uses up a significant portion of your play time, but they seem to make it less viable to do much solo instead so you can use your limited time actually playing the game.
These are exactly the thoughts I was trying to articulate. Group play is amazing, yes, but we shouldn't be forced into it.
There is no requirement in TEST to join a group activity, or any activity. Right now SC is not a really good group game, certainly not a really good org game. We can only have 50 players on a server, and generally that space is shared with other players from other orgs too. You can't put a lot of people on your friends list either. It kinda sucks the way they do that, but CIG runs that part of the game there way. They will be working that out eventually, just not now.

We have the forums here, and in Discord to communicate. And ... I forgot the name of it, the place that hosts the calendar in the menu. Click on that link to get there. But you can just do things with people you know in the org too. Discord is open to use 24/7/365, and there's almost but not quite always someone online. Often entire groups online. Those groups are usually just people online at the same time. Nothing organized, and they might not even be in the same server because of the server limitations.

I personally don't join these often right now but I have a good reason. lol. Seriously my reason is better than yours. Everyone says that. Only 1 TESTie really understands, and maybe 2 or 3 others would if I told them what happened. A few others know what happened, but I don't know how much they understand what it means. Not anyone's fault, like this is something that totally took me by surprise. I had an injury that affects the way I see, read, and sometimes how I talk. It makes it difficult, but if I know when someone wants to be online, I sometimes can arrange that.

EDIT: I edited that ☝to include some people who have been incredibly supportive. They know who they are. TESTies are amazing from @Montoya on down.

Last edited:

Photonz_SC

Captain
Donor
Sep 10, 2019
RSI Handle
Photonz
Probably going to have weak weapons and armor , won't want to be caught alone in it . People will probably KOS that ship as much as possible also , and if EMP disrupts it then i find it even weaker . maybe 150$ but more than that no thanks , but then again not interested in it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There is no requirement in TEST to join a group activity, or any activity. Right now SC is not a really good group game, certainly not a really good org game. We can only have 50 players on a server, and generally that space is shared with other players from other orgs too. You can't put a lot of people on your friends list either. It kinda sucks the way they do that, but CIG runs that part of the game there way. They will be working that out eventually, just not now.

We have the forums here, and in Discord to communicate. And ... I forgot the name of it, the place that hosts the calendar in the menu. Click on that link to get there. But you can just do things with people you know in the org too. Discord is open to use 24/7/365, and there's almost but not quite always someone online. Often entire groups online. Those groups are usually just people online at the same time. Nothing organized, and they might not even be in the same server because of the server limitations.

I personally don't join these often right now but I have a good reason. lol. Seriously my reason is better than yours. Everyone says that. Only 1 TESTie really understands, and maybe 2 or 3 others would if I told them what happened. I had an injury that affects the way I see, read, and sometimes how I talk. It makes it difficult, but if I know when someone wants to be online, I sometimes can arrange that.
Jesus. Sorry to hear of your injury brother. I think I can ascertain what your talking about. Wifey worked that area for a while as a nurse.

Yeah, I can't wait until this game is fleshed out. Group play done seamlessly, ability to hop in a just play. Until then, I either keep not playing, or start playing and accept that she's not always going to be fulfilling.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
There is no requirement in TEST to join a group activity, or any activity.
Damn right, but still it is fun 😁

Right now SC is not a really good group game, certainly not a really good org game. We can only have 50 players on a server, and generally that space is shared with other players from other orgs too.
That depends on your activity. If you have a plan and people arrive in time, then you just can do a clean party launch. You will get an instance where every party member fits in. It demands preparation. Contact lists have to be correct before you can invite everybody in the party. Initially this consumes time, but when people start to know the drill, the process speeds up.
Let me check... yeap, Vavrik in my contact list.

You can't put a lot of people on your friends list either.
250 is the limit. That is a lot of scrolling to check if you have someone in your list!!!!! Luckily CIG put ATC on top of the contacts list. At first they put it at the bottom, all contacts show up in game so that was another scrolling menace. Some ingame filters would be great!!!!

Guilded, but it seems like Guilded isn't a huge success.

I personally don't join these often right now but I have a good reason. lol. Seriously my reason is better than yours. Everyone says that. Only 1 TESTie really understands, and maybe 2 or 3 others would if I told them what happened. I had an injury that affects the way I see, read, and sometimes how I talk. It makes it difficult, but if I know when someone wants to be online, I sometimes can arrange that.
Unless something has to be said, I usually listen.
and sometimes how I talk
I talk like a Dutch guy, sometimes searching for the correct words, often just use the not so correct words but explaining what I actually meant. It works fine, as long as the message is delivered.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I wasn't implying TEST requires group play, TEST doesn't actually seem to "require" much of anything except to not be an asshat lol. I was referring to SC and what I personally am seeing as the implications for the game at release. They are coming out with a lot of interesting mechanics and as @Blind Owl said "niche ships" that require grouping and advance coordination to use effectively which is great if you can coordinate in advance. I'm just saying that for some, soloing may frequently be all they have time for if all they can do is pop in for a couple of random hours. I dunno, maybe these are just the things that they have ready because they need the mechanics ready for SQ42. Then again, there are some things that they haven't released yet that maybe you will be able to do solo. I can't imagine that "science" is a group sport. Just talking about what we've seen so far I guess.

Having an org this big is absolutely an asset for finding a pool of people to do things with no doubt, having the numbers is not an issue. What I was getting at is that come release people are probably going to settle on the core things they like to do in game once all the mechanics and systems are in and the trend so far is that you will probably need a group to be effective for many activities. For someone logging in at infrequent times with little play time available it can be luck of the draw hoping that someone is also doing the type of things you want to do when you're available to do them if you don't know in advance when you'll be on. Knowing in advance that a group is doing X activity on Y day and time doesn't help if you don't even know if you'll be able to play then until the day of.

I personally don't join these often right now but I have a good reason. lol. Seriously my reason is better than yours. Everyone says that. Only 1 TESTie really understands, and maybe 2 or 3 others would if I told them what happened. A few others know what happened, but I don't know how much they understand what it means. Not anyone's fault, like this is something that totally took me by surprise. I had an injury that affects the way I see, read, and sometimes how I talk. It makes it difficult, but if I know when someone wants to be online, I sometimes can arrange that.
I sympathize brother. I was lucky. I spent most of the last decade on disability but it's no longer debilitating to the point where I was recently able to re-enter the workforce. I'm hoping that that project you're working on gets traction

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I wasn't implying TEST requires group play, TEST doesn't actually seem to "require" much of anything except to not be an asshat lol. I was referring to SC and what I personally am seeing as the implications for the game at release. They are coming out with a lot of interesting mechanics and as @Blind Owl said "niche ships" that require grouping and advance coordination to use effectively which is great if you can coordinate in advance. I'm just saying that for some, soloing may frequently be all they have time for if all they can do is pop in for a couple of random hours. I dunno, maybe these are just the things that they have ready because they need the mechanics ready for SQ42. Then again, there are some things that they haven't released yet that maybe you will be able to do solo. I can't imagine that "science" is a group sport. Just talking about what we've seen so far I guess.

Having an org this big is absolutely an asset for finding a pool of people to do things with no doubt, having the numbers is not an issue. What I was getting at is that come release people are probably going to settle on the core things they like to do in game once all the mechanics and systems are in and the trend so far is that you will probably need a group to be effective for many activities. For someone logging in at infrequent times with little play time available it can be luck of the draw hoping that someone is also doing the type of things you want to do when you're available to do them if you don't know in advance when you'll be on. Knowing in advance that a group is doing X activity on Y day and time doesn't help if you don't even know if you'll be able to play then until the day of.

I sympathize brother. I was lucky. I spent most of the last decade on disability but it's no longer debilitating to the point where I was recently able to re-enter the workforce. I'm hoping that that project you're working on gets traction
You've once again articulate the things that have been bothering me, lol. Thanks for that.

As I think more about it, I'm starting to believe that the Mantis may be a prime example of a delivery mechanism through which they can test a new mechanic. I think they wanted to get player quantum enforcement into the game, so they punched into a small ship that will probably be affordable to the masses. That way they get a good number of people testing it, see the results, hear the general salt from the community, and start balancing. I'm thinking the mechanic may be integral to SQ42.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I talk like a Dutch guy, sometimes searching for the correct words, often just use the not so correct words but explaining what I actually meant. It works fine, as long as the message is delivered.
I have to do that too lol, and I've spoken English almost my whole life. I've been to Rotterdam, The Hague, and a few other places by the way, that was a while ago but I have a pile of friends and colleagues there. The Netherlands and the history of Lotharingia was a big part of what got me interested in medieval history (... as a hobby... I'm not a total masochist.)

I totally agree with this, even right up to I'm only available random hours. Friday and Saturday evenings and may be Saturday morning but afternoons are out of the picture for a while. It is what it is. Sometimes there are others floating around different instances, but you can't always get into the same instance, and the mechanic to get there by group is kind of way too involved.

Yeah, life can deal us a pile of crap hands for sure. 10 years is a long time to have to be on disability. Right now, I work about oh, 60 or 80 hours most weeks, but I do what I love too. I'm often working with the design of a new program instead of playing SC. Sometimes it's the AI but often it's just a new way of solving an old problem. I get to work with groups of scientists too, so there's that... to me, weird as it sounds that's a big bonus.

Forgot your password?