Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've actually been looking at the NViDEA HGX-2 for some time, for use in future spacecraft as a flight computer. The HGX-2 is a 2 petaflop machine that draws about 10KW. There are no spacecraft that have ever been designed that have a power budget that can run such a machine, but we expect that to change in the years ahead. We're looking at it running 3-5 simultaneous calculations with NASA's Copernicus program, which is a General Relativistically correct trajectory optimization simulator.

The point behind using such a powerful computer is that it needs to run several simultaneous simulationss in the event it is struck by gamma radiation in one of the cores and screws up a calc. If you run 3-5 at once, gamma can only screw up one at a time so you use the others.

NASA has been using Copernicus for years, but they never keep data on how long it takes to run a calc, and we are looking for a system that can run such simulations spontaneously as the need arises, for a craft designed for a dozen different kinds of missions. So though we don't know yet how long such calcs would take, we know we need answers in minutes instead of hours or days. The cool thing about the craft is it actually has the 10KW needed for the HGX-2, but now with the new AMD 7nm CPUs, GPUs and their soon to come exaflop machine, we can likely improve upon what we'd hoped to do by running even faster and with less power. So. . .very cool stuff!

CPU https://www.techspot.com/news/80243-amd-next-gen-navi-gpu-debuts-july-radeon.html

GPU https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-7nm-radeon-rx-5000-navi-ryzen-3-zen-2-computex/

Supercomputer https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/cray-amd-to-build-1-5-exaflops-supercomputer-for-us-government/

IIRC, Intel is still stuck trying to get their 9nm tech to market, so 7nm tech is really crushing it! Intel will be in trouble if they don't get their new tech to market soon.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Overall it seems like a very good cpu. We will see how the RX5700 will be. I'm very curious about the real world benchmarks.

the shown PCIE Test is absolute bullshit. All it does is writing as fast as possible to the GPU/CPU. GPU/CPU doesn't need to do anything with that data.

A single 2080 TI is hardly using the PCIE3.0 X16 slot. You loose a couple percent when switching to PCIE 3.0 x8 or PCIE 2.0 x16 (https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_PCI-Express_Scaling/3.html)

I'm not saying there might be some edge cases where you would require PCIE4.0 but for us gamers in the near future its bs.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
For games the single core speed is most important still right? As a gamer, why would I be excited about a cpu that has the same clockspeed as my overclocked 8 year old 2600k?
Serious question!

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
For games the single core speed is most important still right? As a gamer, why would I be excited about a cpu that has the same clockspeed as my overclocked 8 year old 2600k?
Serious question!
My 2600k is overlocked @ 4.5 ghz, so I guess I mean frequency ?
There is IPC (Instructions per cycle) and clock rate (your GHz).

So basically your computing power is IPC x clock rate x cores.
So a high IPC at a low clock rate can be better than a low IPC at a high clock rate.
Usally modern CPU have a higher IPC and the same or similar Clock rate. (Best is if you can raise both)

Usally high clock rate means high energy consumption, less energy efficiency and more heat. So your CPU is harder to cool and your energy bill is higher.

Your 2600x has a lower core count than the follow up model which is good for multithreading.

Games usally are bad at multithreading so they prefer to run on one or two cores of your CPU. Also this goes for most single player games and it seems like this is slowly changing in the gaming industry.

Star citizen wants to rely on more cores and already does. Also multithreading still usally depends on one main thread which all other threads speed depends on.

It's like having a motorway which gets reduced to a single lane every couple of kilometres. So you still want the highest possible speed on that lane (IPC and clock rate)
This is oversimplified why gamers prefer(ed) Intel, as Intel had a high IPC and clock rate but low core count. (As stated this is currently shifting in the gaming industry)

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'll be fascinated to learn how the new 7nm tech tests out. Certainly if Oak Ridge is already putting cash down, they expect something big here. Seems odd to me they would place an order for an exoflop machine unless they had already done extensive testing. So my guess is the new tech holds great promise. It could be, they just want to take advantage of the very low prices from AMD, but I can't imagine them spending millions unless it is delivering nicely.

• o7

Gr33nh0use

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gr33nh0use
AMD! my brand!

• o7

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I'll be fascinated to learn how the new 7nm tech tests out. Certainly if Oak Ridge is already putting cash down, they expect something big here. Seems odd to me they would place an order for an exoflop machine unless they had already done extensive testing. So my guess is the new tech holds great promise. It could be, they just want to take advantage of the very low prices from AMD, but I can't imagine them spending millions unless it is delivering nicely.
I don't think 7nm tech is something of a key importance in "exoflop" machine .. I'd rather believe that infinity fabric connecting multiple GPUs is a secret ingredient

• o7

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The size of the switches isn't just that it makes the processor smaller. It requires much less power. So for a single Ryzen3 on turbo it's burning 100 watts instead of the i9's 165 watts. That's a huge difference when you need to cool them by the thousands.

• o7

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Honestly the new gen Ryzen might just be the gamers choice for performance with a dedicated CPU, GPU etc. Intel is at last bringing out the 10 nm version of its chipsets and a better integrated GPU. Also now supports built in wifi 6 and Thuderbolt 3 (i.e. 40 gig per port to upto 4 ports) which is directly linked to the chipset. Earlier Thunderbolt versions used to require the use of a PCIE slot and so shared that slot splitting the 40 gig carrying capacity if more connections were made. The new sunnycove chipset directly links the Thunderbolt 3 to the chip supporting upto 4 slots each able to carry 40 gigs of info.

Performance bench marks remain to be seen but intel might be able to still keep its lead though the future looks very much Ryzen.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?