Cryptocurrency world - Selling hashpower, mining, and making money

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
You don't need to sync to make wallets or transactions.

To make a wallet just use the Bitcoin Paper Wallet JavaScript app. It's super easy and you can import it into any other wallet software you want.

To buy and sell you can put a thin client on your phone. No sync needed. Just don't put the password in until you're ready to sell.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
The main wallet is a pain in the bum for sure. It's soo slooo at the moment - I have no doubt it will get faster over the coming years.

If you want a main wallet to store crypto the fastest one is litecoin - very fast syncing compared to the others.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Fourthly, never store your crypto online if you are keeping it long term. There is no website that is safe, exchanges can disappear, web sites can be hacked, or the owners can just plain disappear one day and take all your crypto. Always store your "keeper" crypto in a proper wallet, preferably the "core" wallet of your coin, or a physical hardware wallet. Keep it safe my precious!!!
Arrgghhh nooooo! How much did you have in there?

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/comments/7i0s6o/official_press_release_statement_by_nicehash/

So it may turn out that all my nicehash wallet balance was stolen with everyone else's.
I hadn't withdrawn yet because I figured I'd wait till I hit a decent amount to withdraw.
fml.. this sucks.

62.6 Million stolen according to a reddit reply
All while this happens:
upload_2017-12-7_17-29-9.png

I only had about 0.4 mBTC (unpaid) in my wallet, so not a lot of money. But I'm kinda pissed since I now need to set something new up, where I don't know if the work my computer is doing is actually being registered/is transferred to a wallet or not. (And that what little BTC I had didn't get to ride the wave from $9000 to $16000)

Reactions: DirectorGunner

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
yeahh... I was due for a deposit tomorrow, with already $160 CAD (at the time, probably over 200 now). I guess it's a good thing I have my wallet externally (valued at 550+ now, 450 last week)

I'm looking into mining Vertcoin directly (since Lyra2REv was the most profitable algorithm even with NiceHash) but it's a lot more complicated to get started.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Never ever ever leave your crypto in someone else's wallet/exchange/whatever.

A lesson you've now learned the hard way. :(

Welcome to the club. Last year I lost 40% of my holdings due to the Bitfinex hack because I forgot to transfer it out to my own wallet after trading - went on vacation, lost a ton of money.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter

A lesson you've now learned the hard way. :(

Welcome to the club. Last year I lost 40% of my holdings due to the Bitfinex hack because I forgot to transfer it out to my own wallet after trading - went on vacation, lost a ton of money.

What do you use?
(as an offline/local wallet)

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I really don't like how Monero wallets can be randomly generated without much complicated securities...
in theory someone could try a billion generated monero accounts and eventually get access to at least one person's account I think.

I'm using Bitcoin armory, blockchain.info, and I'm trying to figure out Jaxx and Exodus...

I want to find a pool with daily direct payouts with good activity.
All the ones I've looked at for ETH, Monero, MinerX, etc have 0 activity shown on their website pages.
I've been not generating any crypto income... need to find something.

Reactions: DarthMatter

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I've been looking into how to get started with MiningPoolHub.

There's many different Pools available with many coin choices. In particular VertCoin. It also has AutoExchange and AutoSwitch which is helpful whenever other coins become more profitable.

ALL altcoins seem to be down 20-25% today, while BTC gone up another 20% If you want to start, now should be the time, as many are thinking they'll balance out very soon.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
I want to find a pool with daily direct payouts with good activity.
All the ones I've looked at for ETH, Monero, MinerX, etc have 0 activity shown on their website pages.
I've been not generating any crypto income... need to find something.
That's what I fear, not getting any income with no way of seeing what the problem is. With NiceHash I could easily see my unpaid balance and see it tick up. I generate currency so slowly that I would only get paid once every other week (if the pay-out is at 1mBTC like NiceHash). That is way to long to keep track of my GPU temp and worrying without knowing if I am actually getting anything from it.

I have a Claymore miner set up to Etherpool* with a "MyEtherWallet", but without some sort of "live feed" that I am generating something (and preferably being sent to the correct wallet) I'm too scared to let it run.

*Edited from Nanopool which I though I used due to me reading a thing wrong.

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
What do you use?
(as an offline/local wallet)
I use Bitcoin Paper Wallet. I keep the paper in my fireproof safe.

I also keep a backup in an encrypted password manager.

When I'm ready to trade, I scan the password into my phone, transfer the entire balance out of the account and then never use the account again. Make a new one for each transaction.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If you want to use the CORE wallet you can choose where you install the block chain data it the first time you run it - for the sake of the lord install it on an SSD drive if you have one with the free space, I get 3% progress increase per hour which makes the wallet so much more usable.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I use Bitcoin Paper Wallet. I keep the paper in my fireproof safe.

I also keep a backup in an encrypted password manager.

When I'm ready to trade, I scan the password into my phone, transfer the entire balance out of the account and then never use the account again. Make a new one for each transaction.
If you don't mind, why do people make a new wallet for each transaction? What benefit is there to that?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I'm back in business baby!
This is 1 of my 3 workers, this is my streaming PC

And this is why you always precise benchmark your GPUs

For some reason equihash won't bench in this app... I think it's a bug.. but.. at potentially $6 a day per 1080ti... that's more than nicehash!
Figures crossed I start seeing deposits into my paper wallet at anywhere close to this rate.

Reactions: DarthMatter

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm back in business baby!
This is 1 of my 3 workers, this is my streaming PC

And this is why you always precise benchmark your GPUs

For some reason equihash won't bench in this app... I think it's a bug.. but.. at potentially $6 a day per 1080ti... that's more than nicehash!
Figures crossed I start seeing deposits into my paper wallet at anywhere close to this rate.
What programs are these? I'm still so lost on how to properly mine. I have a couple new exchanges to try to buy into today.

Forgot your password?