[Semi-Serious Not Really] The Economy of Likes

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Since the start of TEST Squadron in October 2013, we have shown a very healthy growth in forum activity despite the rising competitiveness of alternate social platforms such as Discord. Even when accounting for "stale" periods in SC development, we have shown constant growth.

Figure 1: Cummulative Users Active / Posts from Origin of Forums to Current Day

Recently, I have noticed a quite sudden popularity in Like/Meme Central threads where it is common behavior to Like the posts of those above you after replying to said thread. I was curious on how this is affecting the economy of "Likes". I present to you the following graph which includes like stats.

Figure 2: Holy F$#& (our annual quota of F&$@s given has been depleted go blame Snakey)

We see a sudden exponential increase in the number of likes being given out starting in around Jan/Feb of 2016. We see that there is little positive correlation with the number of posts/threads going up so we are currently devaluing the "like" market by by at least 8 times (so a like today is worth around 12.5% of a like in Jan 2016).

I ruled out the creation of "Don't Like Me Thread" as a culprit for this exponential increase as that was introduced in July 2015 and we don't see the increase until early 2016 (nearly 6 months afterwards).

Well, it turns out a few select active forum-users today signed up in the January~March of 2016 and almost single-handedly caused the rampant increases in the number of likes being given out. Not only handing out I could release the names but won't due to privacy concerns. So I let you off the hook this time @Sam K Macer , @Grimbli, @marcsand2 , @CrudeSasquatch , @Zapp Brannigan , @Han Burgundy , @Phantomoftruth , @Thugari , @GeneticPredator , @NaffNaffBobFace , & @Accented .

so you all might be asking...
HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS IMPACT ME?
Also do I get free pitchforks and torches?

Well...it doesn't. Go shitpost more you fools.

And thanks to all the forum users to making this the most active Star Citizen forums (filled with the best memes and the best drama and the best shit posts):)

Last edited:

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
So... will we getting a double thumbs up button in addition to the single thumbs up button we have now? Will the inflation be worth it, given what amounts to three likes for every shitpost? Could we ride this three-thumb mutation bubble and prove all mathematics and biology wrong?
I say, if anyone can do it, TEST Squardon can do it.
DEMAND MORE THUMBS, PEASANTS! KEK VULT!
deadwood_thumbs_up-360x200.gif

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
According to the graph, Likes start to dip again around August 2016, just when I joined...
I would like to apologize for my lacking performance.
I thought I was liking enough posts to pull my share of the workload. I see now that that isn't the case.
As a part of S.H.I.T. I will do my utmost to get past "Peak-like" and get Likes on the rise again!

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
There is one thing we can do to get the likes back up a bit... It has been seen around in the depths of the "PDLMTC" thread.
The infamous "."-post. It is risky, to the point of self harming. But it just might work...
That would be akin to trying to give a drunk herd of yowling cats a bath in frigid waters.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
According to the graph, Likes start to dip again around August 2016, just when I joined...
I would like to apologize for my lacking performance.
Don't think it was about you. I'm pretty sure @Blind Owl took a break there.

Also, YAY! I was mentioned!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
before I started farming 'likes' in the PDLMTC my likes-to-posts ratio was around 40%

now it's 177%

what surprised me was that now I get a lot more 'likes' in all the threads I post in

the 'likers' from PDLMTC seem to be indiscriminate about handing out 'likes' even though I am not nearly so generous in return

please look forward to more K-pop shitposts in the future

Last edited:

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
before I started farming 'likes' in the PDLMTC my likes-to-posts ratio was around 40%

now it's 177%

what surprised me was that now I get a lot more 'likes' in all the threads I post in

the 'likers' from PDLMTC seem to be indiscriminate about handing out 'likes' even though I am not nearly so generous in return

please look forward to more K-pop posts in the future
the PDLMTC has taught peace and love to the shitposters of the forum, they are spreading the word and teachings to the others.

Forgot your password?