Seung is back and Korea and made us a nice video about the military!

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
I loved running those CS chambers at Irwin So much fun.And for the KATUSA's they have my respect and always will. I always heard from pops about Chosin. Many of my old Subordinates are in places like Casey.

Brilliant message from the Video. Not the make it work part, but the WIll part and the fact that that young man took the positives away from his experience and put it to work for him.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
When I did the gas chamber drill it was one on one. The instructor told me to take my mask off, then strip my rifle. After a few secs, I ran to the door but missed it as I was half blind and hit the wall. The guys outside said they saw the wall of the hut move and heard me hit it.
There was a great video of snot trailing from my nose all the way say 5 feet to the ground.

I've still no clear idea why I had to do it.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I was surprised, the gas chamber didn't affect me nearly as bad as everyone else. No panicking, no intense pain, I coulld breath okay and just kinda stand around watching other people panicking. Once out the door it wore off pretty quick. The thing that did give me the hardest time however, was this damn low crawl up a hill in this dirt. If you want to test your endurance, I'm pretty sure that does it. I know this isn't Seung, but when he goes, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST MAN. MAKE BEST KOREA FEAR YOU.

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
The intentions of the Chambers are manifold. So in order to clarify and help I will go back to the days of WWI (No I wasnt there im not that old).

Humans have fight or flight. It works well enough for us against what we know or if we have an avenue of approach or escape. NBC is like drowning you must stay calm as exercising fight or flight will get you and your buddies killed as FoF is contagious.

You have to know a few things and learn them instinctively to the point where you do these things instead of FoF.
1. You learn to Trust your Mask
2. You learn the importance of a good seal
3. You learn why shaving is a good idea see number 2 above
4. Things like reciting the Phonetic alphabet backwards condition you to complete needed tasks after steps 1,2,3 are done.
5. You learn to maintain your mask and keep it serviceable as at anytime your Training NCO can ask a Question to Top in regards to the NBC Chamber. And BAM it's up on the T3 Tracker.YAAAAAAAY!!
6. Your initial exposure to this "unknown" will stay with you forever and to this day if you had a mask if some one yelled GAS GAS GAS you would instinctively do steps 1,2,3 and then proceed to steps 4.

This was learnt the hard way at Verdun.

And to answer Jolly Green Yes some people have an immunity to the low levels of CS that is burnt in the Chamber. We cannot exceed the recommended amount as it could be very very very bad.The reasons why I won't discuss here.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
2. You learn the importance of a good seal
3. You learn why shaving is a good idea see number 2 above
Interesting fact there, before WWI it was very fashionable to have beard.

When all the soldiers returned from war clean shaven, the trend caught on and men started to shave their faces.

We saw the opposite recently as troops returned from countries where beards are a sign of manhood and the only non-bearded males are children.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Pete that makes sense, I'm clean shaven and know that the mask works v CS gas (or whatever it was) at least.
We had a guy who said his religion required him to have a beard join us just B4 I left.
He made a bit of a fuss about being made to shave ( because of having to wear a mask) Our leadership had taken advice from both Israeli and the Kuwait armed forces, on how to be inclusive to religious beliefs, they both said that they make people shave them off.

I visited the site of the first gas attacks in WW1 (in Belgium).
There is a fantastic monument to some Canadian troops, they had no gas masks and stood up on the top of their trenches, waist high in gas but keeping their faces above the gas and continued to fire rifles on the advancing enemy whilst exposed to enemy fire.

Belgium is an underrated country but has a lot of fantastic WW1 and WW2 history which the locals respect.
My favourite fact about Belgium though is the fact that it carried on with no government whilst I was there.

'
On 1 June 2011, Belgium matched the record for time taken to form a new democratic government after an election, at 353 days, held until then by Cambodia in 2003–2004.[1] On 11 October 2011, the final agreement for institutional reform was presented to the media. A government coalition was named on 5 December 2011 and sworn in after a total of 541 days of negotiations and formation on 6 December 2011,[2] and 589 days without an elected government [3

Last edited:

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
We used to use CS Powder on the dirt roads of places like AP Hill and Hood during Maneuvers. A few days later Everyone would get the great Idea that those routes were the best ones to Conduct a Ruck March on. Other times like in the Sapper Leader Course a CS Grenade would be Lobbed into the HC8 Smoke. And guess what the mask wasn't on the Packing list or even mentioned in OPORDS/FRAGOS/WARNORD. Surprise Surprise surprise.

TO all that serve.. No matter where you serve.. O7

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
TO all that serve.. No matter where you serve.. O7
Haha, Chimo to that. o7
We used to use CS Powder on the dirt roads of places like AP Hill and Hood during Maneuvers. A few days later Everyone would get the great Idea that those routes were the best ones to Conduct a Ruck March on. Other times like in the Sapper Leader Course a CS Grenade would be Lobbed into the HC8 Smoke. And guess what the mask wasn't on the Packing list or even mentioned in OPORDS/FRAGOS/WARNORD. Surprise Surprise surprise.
Sounds like the goddamned bright idea fairies are always present, no matter where you serve.

PS - Sapper Leader course? Kudos to you good sir. When I was a Combat Engineer here in Canada, it was a goddamned honour to get on a Sapper Leader course. Tough as fuck from what I hear.

Forgot your password?