Ship Talk Blog - Updates and Future Discussions

Continue Ship Talk after Aurora + Variants?

• Yes

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
So this week I'm planning to do a thread on the Aurora + Variants much in the same way I did the exploration ships in the updated thread with segments on structural/propulsion, weapons and finally any extra equipment and compare them all together.

I realize that I started the first one talking about something that is kinda 'out there' on most people's radar because we don't know about how exploration works yet and those mechanics.I apologize but exploration is near and dear to me. I feel there was some good reception to the threads I posted, both the initial one and then the updated version and the Aurora Talk will be something more people can relate to because it is in the game now.

So my question here is 2 parts: After the Aurora + Variants thread, should I continue making these(or am I wasting my time?) and if I should continue, what should I talk about after the Aurora +Variants. I have some ideas including the Freelancer + Variants, FIghters(would take 2 weeks to do lol), and also Mustang + Variants. I would try to make these based on ships that are similar in role or hull.

I'd like to know what you think. I liked doing the first one as I said but I'm looking for some feedback here.

Reactions: Reptar Khan

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Definitely! Aside from the Aurora and fighter editions, I would also be interested in some speculating about the different cargo haulers (Taurus, Hull C, Banu, MAX, etc) and what the advantages of those might be. I also enjoy speculations about which ships might be good at jobs for which they weren't originally intended.

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
As space monkey just said, I enjoy your write ups, they sum up alot of things that I think of when I look at ships/role potentials, I am just a terrible writer to make up my own :D

Reactions: Black Sunder

Jack Firebaugh

Rear Admiral
Jun 20, 2014
RSI Handle
JackFirebaugh
Definitely! Aside from the Aurora and fighter editions, I would also be interested in some speculating about the different cargo haulers (Taurus, Hull C, Banu, MAX, etc) and what the advantages of those might be. I also enjoy speculations about which ships might be good at jobs for which they weren't originally intended.
I'm all for those types of ships.

Jack Firebaugh

Rear Admiral
Jun 20, 2014
RSI Handle
JackFirebaugh
being one that is still waiting for this game to be made (with all the rest of you I know), I like having the speculation. mainly I dont have the time really to read everything that RSI puts out. I am very happy I know there are a few of you guys who can fill the rest of us in with your opinions backed with data.

Eliyahu

Space Marshal
Feb 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Eliyahu2
At some point closer to PU I'm sure a Wiki with analysis will be useful, while everything is still public and open to the world, not so much...

I like these though, if nothing else it gives a different perspective to mine which is never a bad thing

Reactions: Black Sunder

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I also enjoy speculations about which ships might be good at jobs for which they weren't originally intended.
I tried to do a bit of this with the 315P and the Aquila in the last one. Without knowing a lot more about what CIG intends for swapping of modules(limits?) and the useage of hardpoints for sensors, etc(if possible) and swapping entire decks with the increased modularity I'm going to limit myself on this particular speculation. I'll go as far to make small leaps of logic based on available information but not so far to say that a Redeemer can be the ultimate explorer because of ......stuff. Hope that makes sense.

From what I gather here people would really like to see me do something with the other currently available fighters next. I haven't fully decided what the next Talk will be after the Aurora but Fighters is certainly in the running. The problem with them is that pretty much every 'Fighter' is just a ship with a gun and is a single or double seater. I'll have to do some limiting and lay some rules out or even split it in 2 parts for 2 weeks. Hope everyone is ok with that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
For the fighter discussion, there is certainly a great variety between speed, agility and weapon/power load-outs. Choosing the right ship for your flying style becomes very important. This is especially important for someone that is starting out that may not even know what skills they should learn and why. I was listening to a discussion last night in battle royal of the difference in flying strategies between the 300 series and the hornet. The hornet was described as a bulldog meaning really powerful but slow compared to a 300 but depending on the emphasis of the pilot, they could be well match in a fight because the strength of one fighter were compensated by its inadequacies. I would think that in that case, a discussion about the available weapons, their strengths and drawbacks would be pretty great.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
For the fighter discussion, there is certainly a great variety between speed, agility and weapon/power load-outs. Choosing the right ship for your flying style becomes very important. This is especially important for someone that is starting out that may not even know what skills they should learn and why. I was listening to a discussion last night in battle royal of the difference in flying strategies between the 300 series and the hornet. The hornet was described as a bulldog meaning really powerful but slow compared to a 300 but depending on the emphasis of the pilot, they could be well match in a fight because the strength of one fighter were compensated by its inadequacies. I would think that in that case, a discussion about the available weapons, their strengths and drawbacks would be pretty great.
Unfortunately I'm unable to give any feedback on how a ship' feels' or handles because I don't even have a computer capable of running the game(SOON!ish). I can only go off the on paper stats which apparently still do a great job of describing the ships in this capacity if we look at mass, engines and thrusters.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I know they are being reworked, but a Cutlass thread would be cool. Aside from the Mustang variants, I plan on acquiring all the Cutlass Variants as well. I think its a great hull and deserves more credit.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Did some thinking today and this is how the Fighters Talk will work after the Aurora + Variants is done:

1. 8 Ships: Mustang Delta, Gladius, Aurora LN, 300i, 325A, F7C Hornet, F7C-M Super Hornet, Avenger. If your favorite like the Xi'an Scout or Hornet Tracker isn't on there there is a reason. The listed ships are the most 'pure fighting' ships we have right now and I have to start somewhere. I apologize if one of these isn't your favorite 'fighter'. This may be split over 2 weeks, unsure.

2. Some of the comparisons made will be very unfair. But SC isn't fair. Its never going to be a fair fight if you're in a 300i against a Super Hornet for example but I will try to be as objective as possible and highlight unique strengths and weaknesses of each ship from my research..

3. At the end I will ask for people who have flown these ships in combat to give their impressions on how their ships handle against the others. Am I completely off my rocker? That kind of thing. This will add to the conversation far more than anything I can interpret from stats alone. Also I don't have a computer that can run SC(SOON!) so I'm limited to the paper stats here.

Yes no maybe so? Thoughts? Opinions? Fighters WILL be next after the Aurora.

p.s. We have no solid info on the Vanguard at this time but I'll get to it when it does come out.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Current Ship Talk Roadmap

*disclaimer these may change dates or topic depending on time allowance and what I feel I can write about*

Friday March 20th - Aurora + Variants

Friday March 27th - Fighters edition, 8 ships see post above

Friday April 3rd - Hauler cargo ships

Friday April 10th - Cutlass + Variants

Guess I should actually write about the Auroras tonight instead of play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade lol. I have the pictures and intro done though.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Update!

Wrote more last night on the Auroras. Made a new section talking about the role and description of each ship. Not much more than 1-3 sentences really for each one. So far my favorites are the Deluxe, the Clipper and of course the Legionnaire. The MR(Marque) honestly confused me being labeled as Interdiction. I'm an Eve Online oldie so Interdiction meant stopping someone from warping while no similar mechanic in SC exists like it.

Reading some more where Interdiction means to destroy, disrupt and delay I can kinda see how it would work but the whole thing leaves me wondering because an LN could do it far better.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Finished writing about the Auroras. Tomorrow will be spent proofreading, polishing, formatting and uploading pictures. It will be a bit longer than the Exploration Ships thread due to having 5 ships but not by much.

Added a couple new sections to the Talk so be on the lookout for those. Should be up tomorrow evening sometime.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Updated title and I'll use this thread to post updates for Ship Talk and future plans. You can see the current road map a few posts above.I wish I could get rid of the poll or update it to something else.

Tomorrow I'll begin the process of making the composite pictures(I like doing this) and reading the stats a few times to get an idea.

As stated.....somewhere I plan to do a mini-Talk on the Vanguard. Don't know the format it will take but I'll try to have it done the weekend of the sale.

Forgot your password?