Original LTI Ships and Ground Vehicles for TESTies

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
If you are interested at all in trades I would be interested in trading a Banu Defender LTI for one of those Sabre Comets with LTI. If not no worries just wanted to ask.
Hi Herman,
So the short answer to your question...
I'm not comfortable doing ship for ship trades, ever.

It may APPEAR that way, because of all my buybacks, but it's not the case.
I only have 1 Banu Defender warbond LTI in my hangar, it's my baby Banu.. no one else's...
yes I have a ton in buybacks...
But my Banu.. I only have 1 for myself at this time.
And that's what I do usually every concept cycle unless the ships are cheap.. like the recent Nox... where I buy a couple or more for myself. And usually a Warbond version to get the discount.

So here are the four detailed reasons why for me, I don't do ship for ship trades:
#1 Any ship pledge I buy for myself, unless I hit $15,000 total melt value to get completionist, they all stay in my hangar.
#2 My buybacks are not gift-able until they are re-bought.
#3 If I buyback a ship with my own money and you decide to cancel the trade, I'm now stuck with a ship I don't want. This is why 1 to 1 trades aren't a good idea. There's no invoice / purchase through paypal to leverage a dispute through if there is a need for one.
#4 Any gift I receive that I can melt to buyback, I melt and buyback with cash so that it's gift-able and MY pledge (minus my AMD Omega and Physical package) This doubles my cost per traded pledge. I do this because CIG doubles it's income from me and I get a personal satisfaction from pledges being officially mine over gifted. And if by some off chance I need to unload all my pledges, I still can. I'll just be stuck with my gift melt values in credits stuck in my account.

Hope this clears everything up for anyone reading.

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Blind Owl gave me permission to post this, I covered the difference, but may day may day, DO NOT use that calculator anymore @everyone.. something must have happened with PayPal recently that changed the fees.

Anyone know why the fee was higher? I thought PayPal was legally required to send notifications when changing fee rates?

This is what I got when I used the Calc:

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
This seems to depend on where they send money from. For me who live in Norway. the cheaper fee is in europe. then the US and then a higher fee from asian countries etc. It is highly variable. :(
This is why I do 3.9 for everyone instead of 2.9.
This works until someone from asia is paying. then it's not working. So I guess then I would have to go closer to 5 maybe.....

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
This seems to depend on where they send money from. For me who live in Norway. the cheaper fee is in europe. then the US and then a higher fee from asian countries etc. It is highly variable. :(
Thanks Elmy, so then what's the best way to deal with that then? Is there a tool that says what currency the paypal email is based on so to properly calc fees? I guess I never had anyone get a buyback from me outside of the US before. lol

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
Or you could do 3.9 on everyone and hope the + and minus cancel each other out in the end......

What I have done to compensate is I do 3.9 on everyone and then round the sum up to the closest dollar.
So if the sum is lets say.... 77.43usd. It will become 78.00usd
I will still loose on any asian and russian trades. But I will most likely go out in 0 or plus at the end.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Or you could do 3.9 on everyone and hope the + and minus cancel each other out in the end......

What I have done to compensate is I do 3.9 on everyone and then round the sum up to the closest dollar.
So if the sum is lets say.... 77.43usd. It will become 78.00usd
I will still loose on any asian and russian trades. But I will most likely go out in 0 or plus at the end.
I just keep it at 3.5% then if there is a problem with how much was sent I just request they gift that 1 or 2 usd to me to cover the rest of the paypal fee. The only other way to get around this is to be gifted money but I understand if people want invoices. Not sure why paypal cant just tell us how much in fees it will add

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Who knows. As long as I'm buying from someone I trust, I have no issue doing the entire payment in friends and family. That way I pay the fees.

Just an FYI going forward, as I will probably (even though I say I won't) be looking for ships in the future. And I only give my money to TESTies. And CR. Haha

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Who knows. As long as I'm buying from someone I trust, I have no issue doing the entire payment in friends and family. That way I pay the fees.

Just an FYI going forward, as I will probably (even though I say I won't) be looking for ships in the future. And I only give my money to TESTies. And CR. Haha
I think if you send via friends and family you don't need to pay any fees on both sides its so much easier.... If they told you how much fees would be ahead of time from paypal before you sent the invoice it would make life so much easier.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think if you send via friends and family you don't need to pay any fees on both sides its so much easier.... If they told you how much fees would be ahead of time from paypal before you sent the invoice it would make life so much easier.
True story. And sending friends and family costs the money sender a small amount. I've done it with a few TESTies

Matt W.

Commander
Jul 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Skadoosh86
Hi There.
Need a ship but didn't have the cash to get it at the time of sale?
Maybe I have spares of what you need. At cost only for TESTies (mains only) :point_down:
:speaking_head: I do not trade in space cocaine...

Here's what I have available: :tophat:
SHIP | quantity available | ship melt cost each
  • AEGIS DYNAMICS - SABRE - REGULAR NO LTI | 1 | $170
  • AEGIS GLADIUS VALIANT - LTI | 1 | $110
  • AEGIS SABRE COMET - LTI | 3 | $185
  • ANVIL CRUCIBLE - REGULAR NO LTI | 1 | $350
  • AURORA CL - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 2 | $45
  • AURORA ES - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 5 | $20
  • AURORA LX - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 2 | $30
  • AVENGER TITAN RENEGADE - LTI | 5 | $75
  • BANU DEFENDER PACK (includes BMM and Defender) - LTI | 22 | $515
  • CCU 85X TO 350R | 5 | $75 :rocket:
  • CCU 85X TO CARRACK | 1 | $300
  • CCU 85X TO ENDEAVOR | 1 | $300
  • CCU 85X TO GENESIS | 1 | $350
  • CCU 85X TO KHARTU-AL | 1 | $120
  • CCU 85X TO M50 INTERCEPTOR | 5 | $50 :rocket:
  • CCU 85X TO MERCHANTMAN | 1 | $200
  • CCU 85X TO TERRAPIN | 2 | $145
  • CONSTELLATION AQUILA - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $275
  • CONSTELLATION TAURUS - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $150
  • CUTLASS BLACK - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $100
  • CUTLASS BLUE - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $150
  • CUTLASS RED - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $120
  • DRAKE CATERPILLAR - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $295
  • DRAKE HERALD - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $85
  • ESPERIA PROWLER - LTI | 1 | $425
  • KRUGER P-72 ARCHIMEDES - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 2 | $30
  • MISC RELIANT MAKO - NEWS VAN - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $85
  • MISC RELIANT SEN - RESEARCHER - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $75
  • MISC RELIANT TANA - SKIRMISHER - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $65
  • ORIGIN 85X - LTI | 20 | $50
  • RELIANT KORE - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 1 | $65
  • RSI AURORA - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 2 | $25
  • RSI AURORA LN - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | 2 | $35
  • RSI ORION - ANNIVERSARY 2016 | x | $325
  • RSI POLARIS - LTI | 3 | $750
  • STARFARER GEMINI - REGULAR NO LTI | 1 | $340
PLEASE NOTE: These ships and CCU's are in my buyback list, so there could be a 24 hour cooldown to gift them if I hit my gifting limit for the day.
To calculate your paypal fees you can use this link http://www.gregledet.net/ppfcm.html
for invoices, PayPal's fee rate is 2.9% + $0.30.
Also please be PayPal verified, especially if you don't have reddit trading history (flare) and active posting history on the forums here.

Quick tutorial on how to pledge when you want and how you want.
Simple solution is to have the value of the most expensive ship you want or more in RSI credit which you can use to juggle ship purchases. Simply put, 24 hours after you buy, melt your ships (NON-warbond) and repeat until you build up your buyback list with all ships you want in your fleet.
Your buyback list is now your long term pledge plan!
Let me explain.
You can take your time now and buy your ships back with cash,
and then finalize your RSI credit on that most expensive ship you wanted...
OR keep the credit floating to continue to secure yourself concept ships.
There is one caveat... CIG says they do not want the buyback list as long term storage (which IMO is counter production for generating more income) and they will eventually do away with it all together. However when that time comes they'll give us plenty of warning. So keep this in mind as you create your long term pledge plan. It also helps to create a spreadsheet of all your buybacks with their quantities and costs.

For example, I've calculated via using a spreadsheet, that once I finalize my RSI credit to secure a Javelin, my long term pledge plan would be somewhere over $7,630 for the rest of the ships that I want. With this info I can plan how much to set aside a month over the next two years... which comes to about $318 a month... For me.. that's a bit too much to spend on entertainment each month.. But add in tax returns and eBay sales and some other bonus income... and it turns out to be more manageable over a 2 year period. Then if I consider the possible utility (econ term) that my pledges will provide me over the course of Star Citizen's lifespan... it may actually become a great use of my income for entertainment purposes. But I digress.

Some things to consider first and while continuing to pledge:
  1. I know I may never be able to fully attain my long term pledge goal before the buyback list is done away with. Keep this in mind while building your long term pledge plan.
  2. I don't yet know how NPCs and player ship renting will work in the PU. So if I'm the only one able to fly or use my own ships then I'll have to adapt my pledge goal. Keep this in mind if you're building a large fleet.
  3. Long term pledging in this fashion is not for everyone. But consider this... If you do micro-purchases on mobile games.. if over time you find yourself spending hundreds to thousands on games like that (like myself)... Star Citizen would be a good alternative candidate for your micro-purchase spending... which will actually do some real good (supporting this game's development) and in some cases may even be tax deductible (speak with your CPA).
  4. Some ships are haul limited. Such as idris, javelin, etc.. if you melt these you may not be able to buy them back. Keep that in mind when building your long term pledge plan. see replied comments below
MY THOUGHTS ON GREY MARKET
In my opinion, there is a REALLY DUMB stigma when it comes to grey market trading of ship pledges.
Most of that stigma comes from people making a profit from selling their pledges and scammers.
Here's my views.
  • YES you take full responsibility when trading pledges and CIG is not able to intervene if issues arise.
  • YES it's much much higher risk than just pledging directly.
  • NO buying a pledge from someone's buyback DOES HELP CIG, all that money for the buyback goes directly to CIG. And so long as the trade was only for cost + pp fees, the only thing that doesn't go to CIG is the small pp fee so that the seller doesn't incur a loss.
  • Once a concept sale ends, that's it... no more shiny concept LTI (except incomplete ugly packages via CCUs) until the ship is bundled with a new concept during a new concept sale. THIS created the need for the grey market. Making pledge types a scarce resource did this. And people tend to want the most bang for buck. Compare, for the same price, a base ship with 24 months insurance to the same ship with lifetime insurance. What has more inherent value to the pledger? I rest my case.
  • You can melt the pledges you acquire by trading and buy them back with cash. This resets the date acquired for the pledge BUT allows you to gift it if so desired. And the added benefit of DOUBLING the income CIG would otherwise make because of you MELTING a GIFT and BUYING it back... AGAIN.. directly through CIG.
  • I agree advertising WHERE to get grey market items on Spectrum is inappropriate as it can create an issue where people can claim CIG at fault for bad trades which.. is not the case but CIG needs to limit liability anyway.
  • I disagree that grey market DISCUSSION is a fine line on Spectrum as it's a situation CIG created with the pledge system as it is, so long as no promoting is happening but rather DISCUSSION... DISCUSSION should be allowed on spectrum. THIS DOESN'T MEAN ASKING WHERE TO GET A SHIP OUTSIDE OF THE WEBSITE! DON'T ASK FOR SHIP TRADES ON SPECTRUM, YOU'LL GET MOD RECK'T. ASKING to trade on spectrum is not discussing, it's facilitating a trade. And doing such on spectrum may increase potential liability to CIG, which none of us want!
  • Instead of referring to the subreddit, I am now simply telling people to find a friend or an ORG mate who has a buyback for the ship they want and ask if they'll GIFT it. The terms of such to be discussed privately between the two of them. This way I am not referring to a "greymarket platform" and encouraging the CIG gifting system to be used within the confines of the personal agreement between the two parties trading.
  • In my opinion, selling ship pledges for a profit is disgusting. Because you're not fairly ENABLING fellow SC fans to acquire what they missed out on. You're instead increasing the penalty of missing out on a pledge. And the fallacious rationality of "well it's rare and this is what others are selling it for" is dumb and selfish. In my opinion "OTHERS" selling for a profit, or turning pledge trading into a business NEED TO FIND ANOTHER BUSINESS to get into. Selling any pledge for a profit is not within the spirit of what the pledge system was for. The pledge system was made to SUPPORT CIG... NOT YOU. So find another hobby or "business". #triggered
  • Just be honest, responsible, and respectful (seller and buyer) to each other and all will go well!

I hope the tutorial part of this post was helpful.

Post will be updated to reflect new additions and trades:
  • 11/25/2016 Day 8 of anniversary sale not yet reflected in available ships
  • 12/10/2016 Added notice about 24 hour cooldown period to gift ships purchased of buyback list. I forgot some people don't know about that. Also added a link and info to calculate PayPal fees. And also added PayPal verified requirement.
  • 01/08/2017 Sold Endeavor x1 General Research & x1 Science Research modules to halfsane

For those that don't know,
here's what a proper invoice should look like for doing trades...
This one has already been completed which is why $0 is due. And sensitive info has been blurred out

Do this ship have LTI since it is an Anniversary edition?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Do this ship have LTI since it is an Anniversary edition?
Hi,
No all anniversary ships (anniversary in the title of the pledge) have a 4 year insurance period.
So depending on how long you plan on playing the game or how long you think the game will run for,
4 years insurance might be enough. Me personally, I prefer LTI for piece of mind, but to each his own in that regard lol

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hi,
No all anniversary ships (anniversary in the title of the pledge) have a 4 year insurance period.
So depending on how long you plan on playing the game or how long you think the game will run for,
4 years insurance might be enough. Me personally, I prefer LTI for piece of mind, but to each his own in that regard lol
That being said, 4 years in game time (because insurance IS in game time, so it only counts when you're actually playing, much like REC'd ships/equipment) is a HELL of a long time.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
All I know, I'll paraquote Elmy (thank you)
For USA base sellers
Europe 3.9% instead of 2.9%(Both with the +0.30)
Asian countries. possibly 5.4% +0.15

So no idea on Canada yet, I'll call PayPal customer support and ask later.
There needs to be a published post from them with all the rates, or there is already and haven't found it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
All I know, I'll paraquote Elmy (thank you)
For USA base sellers
Europe 3.9% instead of 2.9%(Both with the +0.30)
Asian countries. possibly 5.4% +0.15

So no idea on Canada yet, I'll call PayPal customer support and ask later.
There needs to be a published post from them with all the rates, or there is already and haven't found it.
Yeah, it's fucked. I've been looking, but everything circles around the damn subject. Nothing definitive

Forgot your password?