Shopping for new gaming headset

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
As the title says. My old Steelseries are starting to short out, and I'm looking for something of decent quality that doesn't break the bank. Amazon is packed with too many brands and options to even begin filtering through, and I know nothing about brands/styles etc.

So I'm looking for name brands, specific models, wired or wireless . . .basically whatever you've got for suggestions. I'll use y'all for my baseline.

I'm looking for comfort, and if wired, I'l love a set that doesn't twist up as I'm sitting there geeking out. That's probably one of my biggest pet peeves from my current set.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

Owl

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee
i Recently bought the Steelseries Arctis 7.. https://www.amazon.ca/SteelSeries-Lag-Free-Wireless-Headset-Headphone/dp/B01LYBKGL3

I don't know much about sound quality, but they are super comfortable and can hold a lot of hours without charging.
Has a few cool features on it as well and the price is reasonable.
I started to hate not having wireless so was looking for a pair that didn't break the bank. Had them for 4-5 months and so far it was worth the money.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
i Recently bought the Steelseries Arctis 7.. https://www.amazon.ca/SteelSeries-Lag-Free-Wireless-Headset-Headphone/dp/B01LYBKGL3

I don't know much about sound quality, but they are super comfortable and can hold a lot of hours without charging.
Has a few cool features on it as well and the price is reasonable.
I started to hate not having wireless so was looking for a pair that didn't break the bank. Had them for 4-5 months and so far it was worth the money.
I highly recommend this one.

I had an A50 headset for 1 week before returning them. The A50 is a $300 set (like $350 CDN) and it just wasn't up to par.

This Arctis 7 has just as good audio but much better connection. Feels comfortable too and has a metal band that goes across the top for maximum durability.

Easy mute and volume contros. A mic that hides away when you just want headphones. Also connects with PC or PS4. I'd get the black one.

I have sensative ears and I can wear this for 4 hours before my ears start to hurt. That's incredibly long for people like me. With the A50, it's closer to 30 minutes before it hurts.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I went through a lot of headsets, both wired and wireless. I need mic integration in the headset. I am not going to use a mic that isn't integrated in my headset because echo and feedback are a nasty things, and the primary cause is exactly that, or cheap equipment.

Wireless is nice, but I wasn't getting the same performance as i was getting from wired USB. Things happened, like I couldn't do Discord and game audio simultaneously. Good grief. I liked a relatively expensive wireless Logitec headset, but it got heavy. I tried a pile of brands over the last 2 years. What I ended up with is a Logitec 540 USB headset. Under 50 I think, from Bestbuy. For me it's comfortable, and just works.

I should say, I'm 80% deaf in my left ear due to a doctor underestimating how much pressure my ear drum could take when i had an ear infection, so fidelity is just a bunch of phooey to me. BTW if you ever break your ear drum that way, it hurts for only a second. Then whenever you sneeze, it whistles. Mine did. True story.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I bought the A50 about a month ago, I love them so far. I'm pretty sensitive to touch and they work for me decently well.

Some of my friends with large heads don't really like them though.

Ever since switching to wireless last year I cannot imagine wearing a wired headset.

Last edited:

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I've been using the Corsair Void Pro wireless for a while now, upgraded from the older model of Void headset. It's a great headset, the wireless performs really well, sound quality is great, the battery lasts forever and the ear cups are really comfortable. They are not round so they fit around my ears comfortably and they have memory foam. I highly recommend.

Oh, and almost forgot, the mic auto mutes when you swing it up. Very useful.

Forgot your password?