Should I pick Elite Dangerous?

Shinlen

Grand Admiral
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
xShinlen
Hey, guys. Waiting for 3.0 and such I've started to thinking about giving Elite a try. Anyone who played this can you tell me if it's good to buy? I've seen that there are dozens of reviews on internet but they are pretty much mixed.

Reactions: Compton

Loonetik

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Loonetik
Elite Dangerous is a ton of boring Single Player. Lack luster multiplayer when and if it ever happens.

Reactions: StdDev

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I have hundreds of hours in ED Shinlen, It will eventually bore you but heck, everything gets boring in time(even uknowwhat). It is beautiful, sounds great and is incredible in VR. Yes buy it, It will take some time to learn it.

Last edited:

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
Short answer...yes. Took me a few days to learn the controls but after that it was smooth sailing. Space is vast and empty, you feel that playing the game.Many see that as a negative but I felt it added to the immersion.You are whatever you want to be in ED , and its up to you to make your own story. That's what i really love about the game.

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
I've been debating on picking this up for months. Now I regret not getting it during summer sale when the whole package with DLC was $30. I have ED on xbox one, but I got bored with it after 15 hours or so. However, I was obviously using a controller there. I think it would be much more fun on my set up now, I just can't seem to talk myself into buying it again.

There seems to be a lot of cool stuff coming out with the Thargoids making some appearances though that makes me want to buy it.

Never did really like seesaws....

Reactions: StdDev and Compton

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You know, I backed it ?how many years ago? and when it was done, I never even downloaded, or have played it. At some point, I guess I will? But I find the alpha of SC to be awesome, getting to leave the ship and then hang out with people flying around the Crusader system.

That, or playing Zelda is all I do, video game-wise.

James Gunn

Admiral
Jun 22, 2017
RSI Handle
Eyesturnedupwards
Backed that stupid game. It was good until they dropped DLC for it and expected backers to fork out more money for something that was supposed to be included in the main game yet gave new purchasers the DLC included. I bought 2 copies and my friend and I put in hundreds of hours. I admit, I am jaded... but it was interesting enough that I put in 351 hours... if its cheap, its good for some playtime for sure, but I hate the idea of more money going into Frontiers pockets!

Likewise

Captain
Nov 11, 2016
RSI Handle
likewiseone
I bought it on sale a while ago for basically the same reason. I just ended up playing Star Citizen in it's current state MUCH more than I did with Elite.

Maybe I should boot it up again.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
It's a decent game, just lacks serious engagement mechanisms. It has a hard time keeping people hooked for very long so I'd just consider it a game to play when you're bored as fuck.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Meh. Cool for VR, but it's more of a magical mystery tour than anything else. (Write your own head-dialogue) It's exhausting.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
Voice attack adds a extra layer immersion and streamlines controls.Figured i would mention it..Playing in a pitch dark room while listening to house music and getting drunk also adds to the immersion.......

Aug 12, 2017
RSI Handle
F_Tek
Not a bad game (eyes up the time in game expressed in weeks ;-/ ) If you want a help starting out I can wing up with you or drop you some cargo to sell (i've got billions in game so might as well give some away). I've overplayed it but i'll jump back in to help a new starter. There's a pretty active facebook group "Elite Dangerous Community". A guy called Nico runs some meet ups and there are a few other decent player groups.
SC seems to have more potential from my point of view now but ED is certainly worth a go. Message me if you get it and i'll pop in to the ED verse and set you up :-)
Same goes for anyone else considering it.

CrimsonCyclist

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2014
RSI Handle
CrimsonCyclist
I derided it for a long time for being a "Space-Truck Simulator" but I gave it a fair chance recently and I'm really enjoying it. If you take the game for what it is it's very relaxing and atmospheric (especially with a great spotify playlist called Elite: Dangerous by CMDR Ebmocces) and the combat / bounty hunting is also quite fun in its own right.

Plus there's supposed to be an update soon with a strange alien race that should in theory make things a lot more interesting

Forgot your password?