Show off your rig!

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
So I was dusting out my computer this evening, and happened to notice my camera sitting nearby. I thought to myself, "Self, you should take some pictures of your awesome PC and post them to the intertubes for imaginary points!" Turns out that when you try to cram as many parts as possible into as tiny a case as you can get, it's hard to get nice pictures that show everything off. Still, I took the pictures, so I'm gonna post them, dammit!

Behold Tyrion! Replacing my previous desktop, Wintermute, this represents the endpoint of my quest to build a monster gaming PC that won't take up my entire apartment. The case is an NCASE M1, and wedged into it are the following components:
  • ASRock Z87E-ITX
  • Intel Core i5 4670K
  • Corsair H80i liquid cooler
  • 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce 780 GTX
  • Silverstone 480 watt SFX PSU
..aaaand that's about it. As you can see, there's not a lot of room left for anything else in there:

There's a spot for a slot-loading DVD drive, if I decide to put one in at some point, and I *might* be able to wedge one last hard drive in there if the cable routing works out, but this thing is basically loaded to capacity. You know what, though? It's an absolute beast, and I can still throw it in a tote and drag it to a LAN party without too much difficulty.

I took a few more pictures of the innards, if you want to see how jam-packed it is. How about you guys? What's powering your dogfighting battlestation?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Oooh! an ITX build! awesome. Any problems with heating after long (8-12 hour) gaming binges?

I just call my build Harold...

Reactions: hardroc77

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
As you might guess for a case this tight, thermals are OK but not great. The CPU does fine, but the the GPU runs a bit hotter than I'd like -- though it's stable and doesn't seem to have any heat-soak issues. I may duct the GPU's impeller to try and help a bit. My biggest concern is that my HDD sits nearly in contact with the GPU's shroud, and with that thing sitting at 93°C for hours at a time, I wonder if it's affecting the drive's longevity. No issues yet, though.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
it'll surely affect longevity of your hdd ;) but who cares, the more reason to buy a SSD.

very nice build, i especially like the green GEFORCE GTX letters on the side

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Excellent build! Love the organization in that box! My rig (which is stored at my dormmates home for the summer) didn't have great thermals but my CPU would sit pretty at around 28 since I was in a very cool room. Ambient temperatures definitely help!

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
Thats beautiful!

The 780 GTX fits in there perfectly!
The guys who designed the case did a fantastic job. They set out specifically to fit the highest-power components they could get into the smallest volume possible, and used every trick in the book to make it work. Thank god all of that will run off a 450W SFX power supply, though, or I don't think that I would have been able to get the side panels on.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Since we're sharing

http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=28464

Sloppy cable management, but I've got big fans to move air. Not bad for being built in 2011.
oh yes, that's my rig. I ran out of cable ties when I first built it, meant to put them in later. Instead, we have this monstrosity
20140708_225029.jpg

Luckily, because of my immense cooling prowess, my rig runs beautifully cool. I regularly play 12 hours straight on max settings, I have yet to hear my fans :P

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I got this weird OCD-esque creepy crawly feeling across my neck from all those sloppy cables. If you give me your address Joe and Grammar Gestapo I'll come over to fix it :P

But yeah I had the CoolerMaster HAF X for evaluation during picking my PC Case and hated that it didn't really support cable management (no rubber grommets etc.). Another negative for me was lack of dust filter since I have huge problem with dust in my dorm.

Reactions: Macabre Poetry

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Looks like it's still a very capable machine! Does it handle the DFM well, or are there issues with SLI?
The hangar module was just fine in SLI, but the DFM gives a bunch of graphical artifacts everywhere. The new beta driver also caused an instant blue screen after I logged into my computer, so I have to run DFM in single card mode.

I got this weird OCD-esque creepy crawly feeling across my neck from all those sloppy cables. If you give me your address Joe and Grammar Gestapo I'll come over to fix it :p
I tried so hard but with it being a full case, I ran out of cable! I was so close to getting the power cables to go around back, but it just wouldn't do it and I wasn't about to go find extensions. Was indeed a "fuck it" moment. 230mm fans don't care anyway :p

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I got this weird OCD-esque creepy crawly feeling across my neck from all those sloppy cables. If you give me your address Joe and Grammar Gestapo I'll come over to fix it :p

But yeah I had the CoolerMaster HAF X for evaluation during picking my PC Case and hated that it didn't really support cable management (no rubber grommets etc.). Another negative for me was lack of dust filter since I have huge problem with dust in my dorm.
hey, we both live in Indy, you could fix both our problems with one fell swoop!

Reactions: SeungRyul

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice

also, if I remember from my first Cisco course, if you keep a PC 3 feet off the ground 70% of dust is no longer a problem.

Reactions: SeungRyul

Chris P. Bacon

Admiral
Donor
Jun 26, 2014
RSI Handle
ChrisPBacon
here is my gaming spot.

the guns are just for airsoft. they arent shooting real bullets.

My PC specs:
Graphics card: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC
Motherboard: ASsrock z68 extreme3 gen3
Processor: Intel core i5 2500k
Memory: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Case: Corsair 500R

Screens: iiyama Prolite X2472HD & Acer P235H.
Mouse: Razer Naga / R.A.T.-7
Mousepad: Artisan Shidenkai L
Keyboard: Logitech G19
Headset: Audio-technica ATH-AD700X
Joystick: Logitec Freedom 2.4.
Steer: G25

I hope to buy a Hotas shortly.

Forgot your password?