Signature size limit?

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
For the sake of sanity, other places I've been to have actually had to institute forum rules regarding sig sizes. I think phpBB actually has a plugin to enforce a max size, too, though I'm not sure about XenForo. Another option is to disable images in sigs entirely, but encourage tall vertically, elaborate avatar images. That actually made for a really cool look on a couple of forums I used to frequent.

Ideally the sig image should serve as a bit of personal flair that divides your posts from the ones below. It should not be an obnoxious, blinking highway billboard that takes up half the screen.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Most forums I visit have the sig size limit set at 400x400. Not very big, but that's the point. To go along with this, they usually enforce a rule about maximum images in sigs as well.

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
Most forums I visit have the sig size limit set at 400x400. Not very big, but that's the point.
To my mind, that's huge. The vertical dimension is the killer here - the farther I have to scroll to get to the next bit of interesting content, the worse. most folks are going to be browsing the forums on 1080p-class screens, so after you take into account menu bars and the like, 400px vertical is easily 1/2 to 1/3 of the entire vertical screen area. That sig is interesting maybe once per thread, max, but it appears every time that person posts, taking up half the screen, Every. Single. Time.

Most forums also let you turn off sigs for every post a person makes a thread after the first, but that hurts the ability of people to recognize other posters at a glance.

500-600px horizontal does not bother me, but I'd suggest 250px or less max in the vertical dimension.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Yeah, you guys need to resize your images.

I think its nice that you found a picture you like, but don't force the rest of us to have to look at your 900x600 picture of the month.

I suggest standard banner sizing in the 900x100 range

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
download (7).jpg

To me, that's not that big, but I see where you could find that takes up too much space. 200 in the vertical size would probably be good.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I honestly forget if I have a signature here at the moment, but normally I don't use signatures at all. They're silly, frivolous, and... and... a forum signature killed my father. There, it's out. Hate me if you want, but I'm not changing my opinion.

*EDIT* I totes don't, so I didn't even erode my integrity upon revealing my secret hate of forum signatures.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
I honestly forget if I have a signature here at the moment, but normally I don't use signatures at all. They're silly, frivolous, and... and... a forum signature killed my father. There, it's out. Hate me if you want, but I'm not changing my opinion.

*EDIT* I totes don't, so I didn't even erode my integrity upon revealing my secret hate of forum signatures.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
No clue how massive mine is. Will have to check. 4k FTW

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
I always disable as much of the cruft on a forum that I can. Usually have some custom stylesheets to handle it. I don't really want to be aggressive about it but I think forum signatures are idiotic and serve no purpose but to annoy everyone.

If you're on the forums at www.neogaf.com, that is what I consider the ideal layout. A forum is for the discussion, the main thing should be the content, not any other nonsense around the posts.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
919x138 now. About as close as it will go while keeping the detail and aspect.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Damn saw this thread today, don't worry folks as soon as I saw Antisqueaker's signature a few days ago I added some css mumbojumbo to resize all images to 950px by 150px.

Forgot your password?