Silent Death

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So according to this, the Eclipse carries 3, Argos IX radar cross section S9 Torps, that lock at 31km, have a range of 29 km, are 3X faster to target than S1 and S2 missiles and do 12,000 points damage on impact.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SPwKk5FsOH3dyMBIQrELpQRW6f1vzqrbJtMHg_bVZLM/edit#gid=63043860

Which is what we see here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYauColnqiw

The Eclipse was able to see the Tally at 40 km minimum. It locked missiles at 31 km and notified in range at 29km, so one supposes he could have launched then and in ten seconds the Tally would have gone up in a ball of flames.

Yes to Eclipse. I'll take three please.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I bet they end up costing 500k UEC each with a second hand value of Zero as they'll be restricted to sell/own/buy and you won't be able to buy any more without a Rep of at least 7.5 with the UEE.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Is that a real thing--restricted ownership based on UEE rep?
Theory-craft, but it stands to reason any weapons that have suprior stats are going to be restricted.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So a couple of things I'm interested in...
a) How is the torpedo able to lock when the Eclipse's weapon system wasn't active?
b) how does the Eclipse move around and target ships with such a low ER and EM output level?
c) what was the guy doing targeting ships on the repair pads at the old Cry-Astro?

I'm guessing there will be a lot of rebalancing in the future in the game. Right now, this just seems to be a ship that is OP that will be scaled back in future updates.

Kaiserz

Commander
Oct 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Kaiserz
Eclipse will probably be a ship for organizations because of the expensive it'll be to re-arm(this is so far away that most people won't even worry about this), to attack multiple targets from distance, also, this is the "slogan" of the ship, so i don't think it will be modified, at least not that much, about the questions... well...

A, weapon system is off, but radar is not, on the modern aircrafts, the targeting is based on the radar, not the missile or bomb, once this is fired, it "locks" the enemy and follow it until hit.
B, is an stealth ship so... probably is made to keep a low "heat" signature or radar siluete.
C, only he knows.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Eclipse will probably be a ship for organizations because of the expensive it'll be to re-arm(this is so far away that most people won't even worry about this), to attack multiple targets from distance, also, this is the "slogan" of the ship, so i don't think it will be modified, at least not that much, about the questions... well...

A, weapon system is off, but radar is not, on the modern aircrafts, the targeting is based on the radar, not the missile or bomb, once this is fired, it "locks" the enemy and follow it until hit.
B, is an stealth ship so... probably is made to keep a low "heat" signature or radar siluete.
C, only he knows.

It is a good question if orgs will utilize Eclipse that much. While it is stealthy and very good at the first attack it lacks the ability to follow up the first strike with anything more. Doesn't really have the legs to go far away from a carrier. Where ships like the Retaliator and Polaris solve both of those problems.

What the Eclipse does have is the possible ability to disable the enemies capital ships prior to the Orgs main force jumping in allowing for the advantage in field positioning given the enemies capital ships will not be able to move for some time and reduce their ability to cover each other.

Still not sure its worth it as the limiting factor will always be player pilots and would you rather have an Eclipse or a Polaris?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Balancing also remains to be seen. I'm not even talking damage, but the lock on times. I remember in all the wing commander games the bombers with torpedoes took an unholy amount of time to lock on while you made your run.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I think it's more a question about how Orgs will use the Eclipse, than a question of if they will use them. It might be held as a limited use weapon in larger engagements or used just for smaller 'hit' rather than all-out attacks. It seems a lot of people are in the mindset of using this as an alpha strike, and it should do well in that role, but why not use it as an ambusher. Maybe send in the Tali's and Polaris first to try and route and enemy ship towards the pair of Eclipses that are waiting. The initial wave of Tali's can wear down the countermeasures of the target and force them out of an area, then they are more susceptible to the Eclipse.

Or you could just send like 5 Eclipses at a fleet and have them execute an alpha strike since they apparently are very satisfied with their current long distance provider and can really reach out and touch someone.

I think they would probably make decent stealth scouts too, get in and get out of an area quickly and see what's there so you can plan ahead. I guess the point is, there are going to be enough uses for this thing that I think any combat-related Org operation is going to need a couple of these on the roster.

Forgot your password?