Single pilot exploration

Preferred single person exploration ship

• Total voters

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
What are your thoughts on the Reliant SEN as a personal exploration vehicle? I really like the design of the ship, but I have not rented the Kore to test out the flight characteristics. It is next on my list to rent.
The Freelancer DUR?
The Terrapin?
I've yet to rent any of these. I'm still new, and I've only been racing for enough credits for 1 ship at a time. I'll then use it until it expires, rinse and repeat. I don't like the feeling of grinding in racing just because its highly rewarding. Seriously, 1600 credits for an 11 minute race. There's no point in playing anything else for credits, which is a shame.

Being able to hire NPC's certainly opens up the options for the larger ships, which is awesome, but I assume that will be late game and expensive. So I am keeping options "humble".

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Reliant Sen -
I don't really have much interest in this ship, so I haven't done much research. It's easy to shoot at, it's got no real defenses, it's just.... meh, fancy I guess.

Freelancer DUR -
Ah, a real solid ship. Not my favorite but not a bad ship. It's meant for more than one person, but a single confident captain can do well in this ship. Room for an exploration vehicle (as long as you buy the add-on plated for it) and come cargo. This is a GREAT ship! It's got guns, range, living area, and more.
Great for exploring planets, great for long travel, great solo or with friends, and great for just about anything. You can even do come cargo runs if you find an area that sells stuff for real cheap or sells rare equipment. The view hurts people the most, though it doesn't bother me. It's well protected even though it can act a little slow at times.
As for defense, it's based off of a merchant ship that's meant to fight back. You'll have no problems shooting at NPC pilots in this ship and the shields will keep you safe.

Terrapin -
It's made for 1 or 2 people to scout ahead for enemy ships. It's got long range (as long as you don't need cargo space for food). It's got big shields and lots of armor. It's slow, so you'll have plenty of time to look around while you're exploring. Sadly, there's no room for a vehicle, which will kill your exploration planet side if you can't park next to the thing that you're exploring.
As for firepower... it's got 2x s2 guns. Some people think that it's going to be awesome since you can divert power to them and make them much more powerful than a fighter's guns, but I think that isn't going to help it much. Take the Freelancer. It has 4x S3 guns under the pilot's controls. The Freelancer has the same size powerplant that a Terrapin would have since the Terrapin has a larger powerplant for its size. The freelancer can divert power too, only the Freelancer has twice the guns and they are bigger. The Freelancer doesn't even need to use all 4 of them. The Pilot can easily turn off 1 on each side and just use 2 overpowered S3 cannons with more range than an S2 would bring. I think that the Terrapin is a sitting duck.
As for actual exploration capabilities, the thing has 2 massive sensors and a special chair for searching. So if you're into exploration so that you can work the scanners, then the Terrapin would be your favorite ship. If you're into exploration for the adventure, then I think that there are better options for you.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I concur with @Stevetank: you're best option for solo exploration will be the DUR (Great break down Tank). You can load a Nox or DF in it, use it to haul shit you find, and it has big guns. Win win.

The Terrapin is, well, a terrapin. I own one. I'm not sure why I own one. But I do. Don't know what I'm going to do with her though.

Get the DUR. Best baby for your buck. Just ask @CosmicTrader. He'll sort you out.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Of the choices you listed there is IMO only one option that is the DUR..
I flown the Reliant a lot I like that ship, it's strange, cool and fly pretty well, actually a lot more nimble than the DUR..

But if we talk about exploration and all that come with the DUR will beat every option available for the Reliant SEN.
Then SEN probably do just great in short explorations not so much in star system exploration where the DUR would do just great.
So I would go for the DUR every time from the choices you listed..
( My personal favorite is the Carrack, Aquila and DUR in that order.. then any other exploration ship after that in any order.. )

CHEERS! :beers:

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
On live release I intend to use a Connie Phoenix as my primary explorer. In the mean time, I'll be flying the Aquila.

I also have a Terrapin, but the inability to hold a snub/rover is a real downside for me. Seems like it will be good for recon/scanning/space exploration, but not necessarily planetside.

I used to have a DUR, but after flying the andromeda in the PU, I decided to upgrade it to a Max for light hauling and lean towards the Constellation series for deep space travel/exploration. My final decision will really come down to what mechanics are there in the end and what I enjoy the most. If I decide I really like rock melting, I'll be terrapin & prospectoring in advance of the Orion. If melting is boring, I'll be spending more time in the Connie exploring. There is a very real possibility I end up back in a DUR.

If I had to pick one and only one ship from your list, it would be the DUR. It can haul a bit of stuff, carry a dragonfly/nox for planetside roaming, has room for friends, and can defend itself (or at least convince others to seek a softer target).

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
Thanks for all the responses.

So, It seems the Freelancer DUR is a clear favorite. Do we think the Freelancer will hold its appeal after the Cutlass Black rework? The ability to specialize gives it a slight edge in certain areas, sure. But will the Cutlass Black be "right up there" with it? I am still learning the upgrade capabilities of all the ships and how that works, so I'm not sure if you could put the scanners or drive suitable for exploration on the Black.

I see the Black currently has a -1 power plant and shield in comparison, but I'm not sure what the new one will have, the ship is much bigger now. The "additional equipment", seems like the only real make or break between the two. How modular is this equipment going to be? Can I throw a larger fuel tank, or long range scanners on a Black? --Say in place of the turret, or by giving up some cargo room

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Thanks for all the responses.

So, It seems the Freelancer DUR is a clear favorite. Do we think the Freelancer will hold its appeal after the Cutlass Black rework? The ability to specialize gives it a slight edge in certain areas, sure. But will the Cutlass Black be "right up there" with it? I am still learning the upgrade capabilities of all the ships and how that works, so I'm not sure if you could put the scanners or drive suitable for exploration on the Black.

I see the Black currently has a -1 power plant and shield in comparison, but I'm not sure what the new one will have, the ship is much bigger now. The "additional equipment", seems like the only real make or break between the two. How modular is this equipment going to be? Can I throw a larger fuel tank, or long range scanners on a Black? --Say in place of the turret, or by giving up some cargo room
We really don't know what components the new cutlass will have and since the rework of the new component sizes. I think that they will both have the same size components.

As for using a Cutlass for exploration, I'd say don't bother. I'm a Cutlass fanatic and own all 3 but I would not take any of them over a DUR for exploration. You can have quite the adventure in a Cutlass, but if you're looking to earn money from exploration then don't take a Cutlass.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I think I've just got high hopes of the Black being our Millennium Falcon do-it-all lol. Its damn close. Wish the Freelancer was available with REC right now.
It would be nice to be able to rent a Freelancer but I think that the REC ships are the ones that CIG wants us using in AC. Like the racers and the fighters. Once we get to 3.0, just steal one from someone and put it in your hangar. Then you'll be able to use it till someone blows it up or steals it back.

Miasmic

Commander
Jul 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Miasmic
It would be nice to be able to rent a Freelancer but I think that the REC ships are the ones that CIG wants us using in AC. Like the racers and the fighters. Once we get to 3.0, just steal one from someone and put it in your hangar. Then you'll be able to use it till someone blows it up or steals it back.
But that would be...illegal :smile:. Borrow sounds much better.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
But that would be...illegal :smile:
What? No it isn't! Illegal is that word that officers use when they want to fine you for random things.

"How many beers did you have tonight?"
"As many as I wanted... officer."
"Are you aware that you have been flying under the influence?"
"The influence of our dictator? Not a chance."

Just 'borrow' one from a testie who won't put in an insurance claim on it since they hardly play. Then you'll get one plus you won't attract the UEE scum from following you around. They should mind their own business!

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
You forgot the CamperStang (Mustang Beta) which was ostensibly sold/promoted as a great little solo explorer.

But since CO hasn't had any love since the release of the Mustang's, and given how the Delta has been repeatedly nerfed it is probably best to choose something else.

Frustrated.

'Gimp

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
You forgot the CamperStang (Mustang Beta) which was ostensibly sold/promoted as a great little solo explorer.

But since CO hasn't had any love since the release of the Mustang's, and given how the Delta has been repeatedly nerfed it is probably best to choose something else.

Frustrated.

'Gimp
They may not fix the Beta till... well... the Beta. The other stangs will have to wait as well :P

I never see a stang in the verse. I see many more Auroras and Xican scouts.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm a Sen fan but don't know what its range will be like. The Dur is nice, but is a flying target. The 315P looks like it will be customizable enough to make it feel like home, and it can outrun almost anything.

One key issue though, is what is the scan range. If the Dur scans twice the range, that is 4X the width when flying a grid. Even though the 315P might fly the grid faster, it will not fly 4X faster. Dur is hard to beat and you can take some NPCs along.

Forgot your password?