So a family member asked..........

Pug76

Captain
Nov 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Pug76
....why the hell have you sunk £300 into a Game in Alpha ?

Answer 1 .

I wish to support SC as I think it will be fantastic when it's finally finished .

( Sarci Mode on )

Answer 2 .

I got it for my grandchildren so in the year 2025 it will be a investment for their gaming future as I expect by then they'll have a i25 running 16 cores as 10gb with 256gb of DDR 12 Ram on a 20 TB SSD with transfer speeds of 10GB a sec . I also left note saying this may still be minimum specs , so you may need to upgrade .

Still love the game , grandkids should be able to cast it the Cloud as i expect to long gone and upstairs :ghost:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
My reasoning is, I got some 700 games or so. I haven't played 500 of them at all, and looking at the logs it seems that the 10 titles I've played for the longest, constitute like 90% of the total time spent playing games.

So I figured, I'll start to invest more in the select few titles that I actually play rather than hoarding as many games as I can get my hands on.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Its simple for me I grew up on Star Trek and Star Wars and the thought of being the Captain of a starship has always been a dream. This game has brought the possibility of being able to do more than just one or two game modes like dog fighting or trading etc.... this is the first time that I have seen where a person can immerse themselves into a complete world and virtually do almost any job and still be viable to the community and that is where the heart of this game lies in my personal opinion is the community, when this game is finished the community will be deciding factor on whether it fails or succeeds. Games like Star Wars galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot and a few others had strong communities and were some of the best gaming years I have had and to me current games like WoW fail to grasp what a community can provide to a gaming experience, just look at the orgs and how people have already come together if the community ends up being as strong or better once the game launches it will be a huge improvement over other games already.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My other half used to spend real money on Facebook games - £2.50 here for another thousand Woo-Goo or whatever was needed for their Monster Garden, £3 there for another fifty caffien-points or whatever it was to get the stamina back to continue their investigation in CSI the facebook game...

I never asked exactly how much she spent on micropayments, but all I know is it was "enough" to make her knock it on the head like someone quitting smoking. Might have only been £15 a month, but when it's on games which subsequently were closed due to lack of interest from the rest of the facebook community... it really kicked her in the arse, all the money she paid and nothing to show for it. Nothing at all.

...If she ever found out i'm a shade over $100 from concierge on a game that hasn't been finished yet, she would rip my scrotum off like it was a paper towel.

Some things are better left unsaid. I hope she doesn't read this forum.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My reasoning is, I got some 700 games or so. I haven't played 500 of them at all, and looking at the logs it seems that the 10 titles I've played for the longest, constitute like 90% of the total time spent playing games.

So I figured, I'll start to invest more in the select few titles that I actually play rather than hoarding as many games as I can get my hands on.
This.
For me pledging to SC is as much about the journey and community as it is about the end game.
And a lot of this.

Thanks for saying those pretty words for me gents. Saves me having to type more than necessary. Wait, why am I still typing?

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I have a friend who won't even tell me how much he has spent only "thousands" and his wife was fine with it.

I'm not that close to Concierge but when I first pledged I thought getting the 325a was expensive enough but being a fighter that it would put me way ahead of others when the game releases but now I have a Buccaneer and every Cutlass and a Cat, and a few other smaller ships. I spent too much.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I have a friend who won't even tell me how much he has spent only "thousands" and his wife was fine with it.

I'm not that close to Concierge but when I first pledged I thought getting the 325a was expensive enough but being a fighter that it would put me way ahead of others when the game releases but now I have a Buccaneer and every Cutlass and a Cat, and a few other smaller ships. I spent too much.
I started similar to that. I pledged for an Arora... Upgraded to a 300a and thought that will be it. Then I upgraded to Gladius and that was going to be it. Long story short, over 4 years I am well past concierge and still being tempted to spend more.

My family knows I have spent a lot but not an exact number.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Sarcasm is always the answer.
Exactly!

Next time, tell them:
"I was going to spend it all on blackjack and hookers, but I thought buying jpeg ships was a better idea.
Wait minute...is it too late to get my money back?"

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I started similar to that. I pledged for an Arora... Upgraded to a 300a and thought that will be it. Then I upgraded to Gladius and that was going to be it. Long story short, over 4 years I am well past concierge and still being tempted to spend more.

My family knows I have spent a lot but not an exact number.
"I bet he has spent $300 so far" is what they are thinking.

I want to hit concierge but it's just more ships. I want to know I get more than ship ownership. Maybe in 3.2 or 3.3 I will buy more and hopefully play much more. I definitely want a bigger exploration ship like a Connie or 600i. But not right now.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Exactly!

Next time, tell them:
"I was going to spend it all on blackjack and hookers, but I thought buying jpeg ships was a better idea.
Wait minute...is it too late to get my money back?"
Or "it was either that or gambling... So I flipped a coin".

Forgot your password?