So I melted my Prospector and got a Mole.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I love the industrial look and feel.

I dont mind going up and down the ladder solo mining. I've been eating and drinking too much so the exercise is welcome.

I also dont mind the paychecks.

I don't miss my prospector.

ScreenShot0103.jpg

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I "tried" mining a few times here, mmm maybe I should give it a try again.

I have a prospector sitting in hangar for ages but I think I never took it out so it's totally covered by dust and rust now hehe.
The only time I tried mining it was with a rented one, that I could not modify mining heads, and I concluded that I am really not into it. Instead i am so waiting for better trade system, love to haul stuff.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Damn dude, dunno how you filled that much up in a Mole. I also don't mind the going up and down ladder for mining cause it holds so much more than the Prospector.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
@BUTUZ damn good run out there... 87% of quantanium... you ware really luky on the scouting!!

I "tried" mining a few times here, mmm maybe I should give it a try again.

I have a prospector sitting in hangar for ages but I think I never took it out so it's totally covered by dust and rust now hehe.
The only time I tried mining it was with a rented one, that I could not modify mining heads, and I concluded that I am really not into it. Instead i am so waiting for better trade system, love to haul stuff.
I've initially tried that with a renting one too and with the same result, prolem is that mining is not like BH, it require more time to familiarize with the mining mechanics, not the actual mining itself, but in the form of what valueable mine and where...

Changing the head is good and a requirement for mining some type of material (quantanium is one of them), but if you stick to some "less valuable" one (like Agricium for example) you should be able to have a good profit even with a standard head.
That sayed with mining gaining 100k for the Helix head require just few run...

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hi guys, yeh I know i would like to put it down to my massive TEST balls of steel but actually it was 95% luck lol.

My mate was already in CRU 1 with his prospector, I jumped in in the mole on my own and turned 90 degrees and started scanning. It was the 2nd rock I stopped and scanned properly. I think it was 19% or 20% in a 5100 rock. It was hard to crack even with my Helix II. I sent my mate 100k for being in the right place at the right time!! :D

So yeh I basically jumped in found the rock cracked it, got lucky with the crack as there were several large chunks of 100% quantanium, hoovered it all up, ran back up my ladder and went back to port olisar with the beeper beeping at me.

During this entire time there were 3 red NPC's fighting each other about 3k away from me lol. And on the way back couldnt get the starmap to work properly and has to do a random jump or two before I could select port olisar lol. My butt cheeks were clenched so much on that run i couldnt sit down for a week!!!

I was expecting 100-200k as i'd had before but those 100% rocks must have been bigger than I expected as 500k in 30 minutes I was gobsmakked!

I am not an expert but heres some tips for miners that i've noted.
1. ALWAYS get a helix. It's faster to mine, faster to hoover, more stable, more powerful, increases the green window to make it a bit easier to crack hard rocks. There are literally no bad points to it. it pays for itself in 1 run of Agricium usually.
2. If you have time to be picky dont bother with rocks under 10% if you get a 10-20% of agricum or laranite or quantanium then you've hit the big time baby!
3. If using the mole - walk towards the ladders backwards and you'll fall down them like a fire man, saves 5 second here and there!
4. A load like I have may come along once a month or it may never come along!

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hi guys, yeh I know i would like to put it down to my massive TEST balls of steel but actually it was 95% luck lol.
Well, in my humble experience, mining is always a good % of luck!
Konowing where to mine and what to mine is always helpfull, but if you can't find any suitable rock all of that is useless... and on top of that you'll have to take into account random attack by player/NPC, server crash and so on.

I am not an expert but heres some tips for miners that i've noted.
1. ALWAYS get a helix. It's faster to mine, faster to hoover, more stable, more powerful, increases the green window to make it a bit easier to crack hard rocks. There are literally no bad points to it. it pays for itself in 1 run of Agricium usually.
2. If you have time to be picky dont bother with rocks under 10% if you get a 10-20% of agricum or laranite or quantanium then you've hit the big time baby!
3. If using the mole - walk towards the ladders backwards and you'll fall down them like a fire man, saves 5 second here and there!
4. A load like I have may come along once a month or it may never come along!
Those are good advice!
Personaly I don't pick a mined rock if is under 20% of valuable mineral, Quantanium is an exception and of that I go down to a 10%.
Another important thing to consider is also the overall valuable of the rock: for example a 20% agricium rock is not really a valuable one (agricium tend to brake in hight % chunks), but if the remaining 80% is not inert but, let's say, titanium, that make the chunk more interesting.
The ultimate thing you'll always whant ot avoid is inert: at the end doesn't matter if you find some good valuable if you fill half of your cargo space with dust..sometime is better to leave something behind and search of an overall more valuable rock....

Reactions: Deroth and BUTUZ

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
Whether it's a good idea or not, the Mole is a damn cool ship! Like some industrial labouring machine from Aliens, it would look perfectly happy with Ripley's Power Loader standing next to it. I salute you for you decision, Sir!
:o7:

Reactions: Deroth and BUTUZ

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You guys are making me tempted to try this, you really are.

I was just wondering, if the mining laser is a utility point item would I be able to fit one to the front of a 315p?

I mean, a mini-miner is cool and all but with the Origin speed it might be good at getting in close and fast to mine up some ship hulls, too...

Reactions: BUTUZ

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus

I was just wondering, if the mining laser is a utility point item would I be able to fit one to the front of a 315p?

I mean, a mini-miner is cool and all but with the Origin speed it might be good at getting in close and fast to mine up some ship hulls, too...
315p has a tractorbeam on the front right? It's not interchangeable, is it?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
315p has a tractorbeam on the front right? It's not interchangeable, is it?
I was under the impression utility points could be interchanged, but realize I have no grounds to have based that on beyond it being a utility hard-point and assuming they work the same as weapon hardpoints...

We will have to wait and see!

Reactions: Firebrand

Alia_and_Gotin

Vice Admiral
Donor
Sep 1, 2020
RSI Handle
Alia Traprunner
Well, in my humble experience, mining is always a good % of luck!
Konowing where to mine and what to mine is always helpfull, but if you can't find any suitable rock all of that is useless... and on top of that you'll have to take into account random attack by player/NPC, server crash and so on.

RNG has its hand! I've had times when I QTd in, dropped down toward the surface of some moon and the very first rock I scanned was 20% Laranite and big enough to fill my prospector's hold. Or come into an asteroid belt with the Mole and the first cluster of rocks are all above 15% good ores. And I've had times when I've had to spend a couple hours to find anything above 2 or 3% .

That one big strike though.......man......silly fighter pilots don' t know a rush until you scan that 22% Quantanium rock with your bags already half full and you're as far away from a place to sell it as you can get in the current 'verse. :P

Edit: Sorry typed my response inside the quote....silly me :D fixed it

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ

Sorry naff. Size 1 mining attachments only fit the Propspector and Mole. Size 2 attachments only fit the Mole.

Prospector is about 150 bucks I think - if you can buy it with store credit that would be the way to go as you can keep it for 6 months, earn millions then melt it if you move onto something else or they change the mining attachment rules?

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Prospector is about 150 bucks I think - if you can buy it with store credit that would be the way to go as you can keep it for 6 months, earn millions then melt it if you move onto something else...
Mmm just to clarify (if it was a typo) ship insurance is not implemented in game untill final release. So a prospector bought with store credit with 6 months insurance will be in your hangar till final release of game.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Think I'll have me a borrow of one during the Expo and see how I like it. I can CCU one of my LTI tubs i'm not using, feels like a lotta clams for something I may or may not mesh with 🙂

I know I can rent in the 'Verse but I 'aint got time in my life to drag my ass all the way across the system again, it's only by her wonderful good grace Mrs. BobFace is letting me waste time attending the IAE when I gots all this other stuff to be getting on with :-D

One question, what happens when you hit a ship with that size one mining lazor? Just curious...

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I was under the impression utility points could be interchanged, but realize I have no grounds to have based that on beyond it being a utility hard-point and assuming they work the same as weapon hardpoints...

Pretty sure you won't be able to fit a mining laser on a 315p, however, the tractor beam would make it a perfect companion ship as it could pick up the dropped bags of ore and transfer to a larger cargo ship allowing you to stay out for more extended jobs.

Although you'd need friends to help fly them as I don't think you will be able to fully crew any ship with NPCs. (maybe)

But if you liked mining enough to make it a career or simply do it for fun every once in a while, then I'm sure Rock Raiders will have the ability for people to jump in and out of their activiies.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus

I asked only because I didn't know. If utility hard points CAN be interchanged, that would add to the flexibility of choice in how we choose to equip and fly our ships and I would support that.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?