So, Quantum Mining

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
The latest Star Citizen Live includes the first proper information about how Quantum Fuel is going to get mined.

They said that this is very fresh, only just approved by CR and will likely change once hey start implementing. No information about the Starfarer, but this is what they said:
If I give a sneak preview [...]: There are these particles called transients, which [...] can affect space and mass around themselves and they were [...] this really cool discovery, but they were very fleeting and hard to find and then scientists slowly after discovering this [...] were able to detect them in [...] particle colliders [...] and eventually they were able to find that these would be stable and existing temporarily in trans isotopes where these transients would temporarily attach themselves onto atomic particles and exist. And that was the main way we started harvesting them. Certain elements are more prone to this thing as trans isotopes that you can then use to harvest the transients and that gets turned into quantum fuel. So you’ll be able to find those using scanning, like you’ll find a rock that’s Eridium and then, through scanning you’ll see that its five percent of these trans isotopes and you will have to harvest them quickly and if you put in too much energy they’ll devolve back into normal isotopes. So, there is a high risk and you have to be careful with harvesting and then transporting them to make sure you preserve the transients until it is refined.
DISCUSS!

Smithory

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2019
RSI Handle
Sm1tty
From what has been posted and alluded to, you'll be able to mine quantum material and place them in the starfarer. As the Starfarer flies around collecting hydrogen to convert into hydrogen fuel it'll also push the hydrogen pass the quantum material to create quantum fuel.

Christopher Roberts@croberts68
March 31st at 01:00
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/quantum-drives/2031225
The Starfarer will be able to transport and deliver / refuel in flight both regular thruster propellant and Quantum Matter. It will also be able to refine Quantum Matter into Quantum Fuel. The only aspect not decided is the mining aspect as we really don't want to make the Starfafer a heavy duty mining ship but its likely we'll have some smaller equipment; like a hand held mining device to allow you to EVA out to collect Quantum Matter - but we haven't decided this just yet.

Sorry I have been watching this closely because I have a Starfarer and want to make cash hand over fist

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'm thinking about getting an Orion or a starfarer to maybe team up with some Testies to make some money, since I can't fly both at the same time. haven't decided which route I'm going to go

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
sounds like we testies that have starfarers are in for a busy time.

Reactions: Bambooza

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Oh wow I wasn't aware about the Starfarer specifics that is really cool.The EVA mining also sounds like something my DUR (officially the best ship in the verse) would be really good at given the basically unlimited non quantum fuel :like:

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape
Forgot your password?