So this one snuck up on me

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I have been looking around for a MMO VR experience for a while now. VR is amazing but unfortunately, it hasn't really taken off yet. It's part price tag and part "how good could it be". The combination of which puts it really far back on everyone's to buy list.

I couldn't help myself though. I had to have it on day 1. I had been dreaming about it since I was a kid watching Johnny Mnemonic and Lawnmower man. Technology just never allowed it. That is, until now. It's finally here and it's here to stay. It just needs to get a little lower ($350atm for the rift and touch controllers), and people will start realizing how amazing it actually is.

I digress though. This isn't about how amazing VR is. This is about what I have wanted since the very first time I logged into my first MMO. I wanted to see it in VR. Now that I have my Rift, I have been looking a bit more regularly. I saw some stuff in development, but no dates. Even then, there was only one that really stood out as a traditional MMO template. The rest were more... interactive stories.

So the only one was Orbus VR. There was no release date, but it looked promising. I didn't really look into it though because I had plenty of other games going on. I wasn't really on the market. A couple weeks ago though, I dug into it and found that it's not only amazing from a gameplay standpoint, it's also coming out this weekend (12/15/17).

The graphics aren't groundbreaking, but they don't need to be. The Nintendo Wii had really basic graphics, but amazing gameplay. I still fire it up when I have friends over for drinks (copious amounts of alcohol). It's just plain fun. This game immediately reminded me of that. Honestly, with all the amazingly shiny games turning out to be collosal dissapointments lately, I'll take gameplay over graphics any day. So here's the demo:

Some of the major selling points for me:
  • Group raids
  • No cheesing the mechanics (no flailing around like the Wii, you actually have to swing the sword for good damage).
  • Combos (full swing left, then swing up, swing left again, then right = special attack and bonus damage)
  • Spell casing is drawing runes in the air (sometimes a series of runes, one after the other).
  • You actually block attacks with your shield by moving in front of you
  • Crafting is not just combining items and waiting on a bar. For instance, alchemy requires timing and skill around the cauldron. You drop an ingredient in too soon and your potion gets fucked up.
  • Looking for group mechanic (bulletin board style)
  • Fishing. Fucking fishing is a thing!

The last and most important thing for me was their vision. I watched a cool dev interview. They actually held the interview in the game, in vr, with an audience that was also in vr. They talked about where they wanted to take this thing. They're in it for the long run. The funding model is buy to play with additional purchased expansions. No P2W needed or planned. It's a small group and a small game, but they plan on building from here. (the link to that interview video is HERE. It's a bit long winded but is really good info)

Honestly, my fond memories of Everquest and my first steps in an MMO is all I needed to sell me on this game. Much like EQ was, this game could be the beginning of something amazing. I can't resist the chance to be part of it, even if it fails. Anyone else on the same boat?

Reactions: Radegast74
Forgot your password?