(solved) Skype blocks my online games?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The problemwent away, for now at least, thanks for the answers! Feel free to use this thread for shitposting as usual

Hey all,
so I had to install this piece of trash software (Skype) for work reasons, and if it's running on the background, my online games like Star Citizen, World of Tanks and such won't connect to the servers. SC launcher can log in but then it stays blank, WoT launcher works but the game won't connect to the server and so on.

What the hell is going on? Is Skype doing this on purpose or I need to change some port setting or something?
Tried searching Google myself, but all I get is how to play games through Skype....
Please advise, thanks!

Last edited:

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I usually use Skype daily to communicate with my GF daily and nightly ( We are separated due to virus and travel restrictions) and haven't had any issue gaming wise with it

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I usually use Skype daily to communicate with my GF daily and nightly ( We are separated due to virus and travel restrictions) and haven't had any issue gaming wise with it
Yeah it's really weird. I had it installed a while back, had no issue, then removed it.
A year or two later it's just does this mad thing. Dunno what's happening lol

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It's weird, it now seems to work fine. No connection issues at all while having it on. Strange.

And yes I did try turning it on and off again multiple times, looked at device settings, ports, and whatever. It wasn't anything obvious. I guess it just fixed itself druing one of the restarts.

Could it be due to Skype's default setting being to take exclusive control of the sound device?
Nope, not it.

Yes. Very.

*Tin-foil hat on*
Did you use an installer from Skype's site or one that your work provided you?
*Remove hat, but eye it suspiciously as it sits on the desk*
Not a bad guess at all, but in my case it doesn't apply.
I used the one from skypes site, double checked the address even to be sure it's legit. We are using it to transfer some theoretically slightly maybe confidental stuff, although no one could really use it for any gains if it leaked. Would make for a bit of extra advertisement at most lol
Unless there is a very specific reason, I always download my own stuff from the most official source/website if possible, cos security and latest updates blah blah...

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Glad you solve it, but I'll like to know the very cause of the problem (I'm a sysadmin, could be usefull...).
Keep in mind the M$ is going to dismiss skype in favor of MS Team (a better crap with less functionality and more bug... good choice M$....) so that could be related to this.
I've also see Skype do some weird stuff if not updated, that could be the couse (you can check the last update date in the install program list...)

Forgot your password?