[solved]Star Citizen keeps crashing every time I load into the verse

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Solved
So after all that, I reseated my hardware. Now it works..

So, I hadn't played star citizen in a while (like a year or something?) and decided to start it up again, so I started the update from the RSI launcher and waited patiently.
It was downloading along and along until I got an error. The disk I installed on was full, I only had 2GB left on the disk before I started the update and it was trying to download like 17GB IIRC.
I didn't know that disk was the one that SC was on. So I made room, and restarted the update but this time it was over within a minute, odd I thought. But the game started fine.

I made my character, got PU starting options (where the 3rd one is New Babbage) I click New Babbage, load load load, I see the bed I spawn in, but parts are missing and I can see open space around me, then crash.
I try to load it again, and now I only have 1 PU starting option, Stanton, so I click it, load load load... same thing.
So I thought well that install is messed up and uninstalled and deleted all star citizen files (uninstalled rsi launcher, deleted star citizen folder, deleted the rsi launcher and star citizen folders in %appdata% and %appdatalocal%)

Then I reinstalled, same thing happens.. darn. So I reset my character through the website (on a tip from Rangolier on discord). I tried logging in again but it said I couldn't because char reset blabla, so I went to bed.

Come to today, I was expecting the reset to work but.. nope. The first time I started I had to remake my character, and I got the 3 initial choices for the PU again, clicked New Babbage.. same thing.
Restarted again, I now only have 1 PU starting option again, Stanton.. I load in and crash.

I recorded this last crash and uploaded it to youtube, I enable r_displayinfo 3 during loading and check the console just before the crash, maybe someone can make sense of it?

Someone has any other tips? Or should I just open a support ticket? =) (one thing I am going to try now is reset again and choose another starting location from new babbage)

/ninjaedit I also did verify game files in between

tl;dr I keep crashing when I load into PU, halp (watch video)

View: https://youtu.be/JdEwAAphXjc

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky Captain

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
How big is your star citizen LIVE folder? It should be about 61GB.

Reactions: mindfart

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Mines a fresh install as I built this PC only 4 weeks ago.

1592414257388.png

This is not including my screenshots folder. Seems you are missing some files?

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
I copied the folder over to another disk, changed RSI launcher to that location, deleted a bunch of files and ran verify again, it restores stuff just fine

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have you made sure your Operating System is fully updated and your graphics drivers are as up to date as they can be?

A few patches ago I had huge trouble with an older graphics driver the game would just not cooperate and then I updated my OS and drivers and bam, sweet as a nut.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Did you download the latest launcher? I had some issues with that in the past
Yes I did after I uninstalled and removed everything. Used it to install current install.

Have you made sure your Operating System is fully updated and your graphics drivers are as up to date as they can be?

A few patches ago I had huge trouble with an older graphics driver the game would just not cooperate and then I updated my OS and drivers and bam, sweet as a nut.
Yep, all updated. Memory checked. SSD checked.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes I did after I uninstalled and removed everything. Used it to install current install.

Yep, all updated. Memory checked. SSD checked.
I notice in the video you used "Best" for the server, have you attempted choosing a specific server in case it's specific to just one? During the first Aerospace Expo I could mostly only log in on the AUS server.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
I notice in the video you used "Best" for the server, have you attempted choosing a specific server in case it's specific to just one? During the first Aerospace Expo I could mostly only log in on the AUS server.
I have not! I am in the process of reinstalling again on my 3rd ssd I haven't tried for the installation yet. I now also removed all star citizen/rsi registry keys which wasn't system stuff(like latest app, audio bindings, firewall bindings etc.) in addition to %appdata% and %appdatalocal% stuff.

Will try this after I downloaded everything again!

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Nope! Didn't work. I don't even get to spawn anymore now even;
I think this is the problem actually (even after restting my character 2!!! times now)
1592431376251.png

1st attempt after a fresh install (having character creation + Lorville, Area18 and New Babbage space ports, and selecting EU)
View: https://youtu.be/AvTaxO5FlWA

2nd attempt (doing a verify files first + having only Stanton System as space port + leaving it on selecting Best)
View: https://youtu.be/wsEF0jDUiPo

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
So, I hadn't played star citizen in a while (like a year or something?) and decided to start it up again, so I started the update from the RSI launcher and waited patiently.
It was downloading along and along until I got an error. The disk I installed on was full, I only had 2GB left on the disk before I started the update and it was trying to download like 17GB IIRC.
I didn't know that disk was the one that SC was on. So I made room, and restarted the update but this time it was over within a minute, odd I thought. But the game started fine.

I made my character, got PU starting options (where the 3rd one is New Babbage) I click New Babbage, load load load, I see the bed I spawn in, but parts are missing and I can see open space around me, then crash.
I try to load it again, and now I only have 1 PU starting option, Stanton, so I click it, load load load... same thing.
So I thought well that install is messed up and uninstalled and deleted all star citizen files (uninstalled rsi launcher, deleted star citizen folder, deleted the rsi launcher and star citizen folders in %appdata% and %appdatalocal%)

Then I reinstalled, same thing happens.. darn. So I reset my character through the website (on a tip from Rangolier on discord). I tried logging in again but it said I couldn't because char reset blabla, so I went to bed.

Come to today, I was expecting the reset to work but.. nope. The first time I started I had to remake my character, and I got the 3 initial choices for the PU again, clicked New Babbage.. same thing.
Restarted again, I now only have 1 PU starting option again, Stanton.. I load in and crash.

I recorded this last crash and uploaded it to youtube, I enable r_displayinfo 3 during loading and check the console just before the crash, maybe someone can make sense of it?

Someone has any other tips? Or should I just open a support ticket? =) (one thing I am going to try now is reset again and choose another starting location from new babbage)

/ninjaedit I also did verify game files in between

tl;dr I keep crashing when I load into PU, halp (watch video)

View: https://youtu.be/JdEwAAphXjc
heya OP,

Would it be possible if you can post your Rig's specs? CPU, RAM, Disks, Disk-types & corresponding Free space
Graphics card Spec would also help.

Also can you type this in the command line interface (cmd / Dos) and post an image of the results? :
systeminfo | find "Virtual Memory"

Do you experience problems on other games?

Last edited:
Reactions: bedoinitusa

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
heya OP,

Would it be possible if you can post your Rig's specs? CPU, RAM, Disks, Disk-types & corresponding Free space
Graphics card Spec would also help.

Also can you type this in the command line interface (cmd / Dos) and post an image of the results? :
systeminfo | find "Virtual Memory"

Do you experience problems on other games?
What are you fishing for? VM is fine, but what do you need the specs for even? It has run fine in the past. No other issues.

/edit (if you ask me about free space on my SSD's or VM after this I will slap you)

Here's my set-up (SSD's are samsung 840, 850, and 860, tried all 3) ;
1592440398578.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Eiyron

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
What are you fishing for? I'm a systems engineer. VM is fine, but what do you need the specs for even? It has run fine in the past. No other issues.

/edit (if you ask me about free space on my SSD's or VM after this I will slap you)

Here's my set-up (SSD's are samsung 840, 850, and 860, tried all 3) ;
View attachment 16761
Sorry bout that OP. I should have minded my own business :) good day to you

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Sorry bout that OP. I should have minded my own business :) good day to you
In stead of acting all high and mighty, you could just simply say what you are actually fishing for.
Asking for virutal memory at a random point in time (as opposed to when the game is running) is a faulty proposition from the get-go, which made me very weary.

Asking for disk space and type, for what? A HDD would yield the same result but slower. Free space? For what? Do you know where my pagefile is, or how it's configured? Did I not specify that I made enough room? And tried all three disks? On which I made enough room.. else I couldn't even try to put a 65GB install on them.

I can't even imagine asking about other specs unless you want to go on a google spree for all cases concerning any component of my hardware and posting them here.

So yeah, you should have probably minded your own business. And a good day.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Something that helped me in the past: disable the damn windows10 xbox gaming overlay! It did cause crashes for me, also stated on SC website as being an issue.
I'm sure you know the drill of stopping all non essential background clutter, disabling antivirus, yada yada...
Random idea, do you have some hotas, controllers or something hooked up? Maybe those are messing up? (had an issue with an old joystick before in a patch but that was ages ago)
As for the install size difference, SC does create some texture cache files and such, so it may vary. Mines showing 61gig (not 60.9), and it's a recent install, but I've played quiet a lot.

Forgot your password?