Spectrum? Waste of Assets or Beneficial

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Hey. @GojiraSamurai , saw you talking about this on Twitch chat.
I think it's beneficial to the orgs, trying to replace Discord and keep everyone in touch. It's an immersive, in-fiction Discord, if you will. Also, it's going to have a ton more functions than just Discord, like browser-to-game interface.
Also, Spectrum is worked on by Turbulent, which only do web-based stuff (they're the guys who did the Starmap), so there isn't anything else for them to do at the moment.

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
I like the concept - makes communicating with people who aren't as commited to the game a lot easier - as well as opens up a whole host of organisational options - Need help? Drop a message into the inevitable SOS channel & someone else in game will get an in game ping, letting them know you need help. No Tabbing out, or searching around. If we utilise it properly, this is going to be bloody excellent.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I love connectivity and if I can open up my mobiglass and see someone responded to my post then it'll feel as if I'm in the digital world. No need to switch windows or have multiple monitors!

Some people were bitching about it saying in game e-warfare could take it out. I'm not entirely sure if that's a thing or if they made it up. But I'm excited to see it launch with SC integration. If they launch before it works in game then it'll be a bit of a letdown.

GojiraSamurai

Space Marshal
Jul 22, 2016
RSI Handle
GojiraSamurai
I think itll be a one-stop-shop which is a good thing, no more having to open up multiple windows, one for discord, one for the game, one for the forums... Look at the modern day smart phone and how many things it can do.
lol ..to be totally honest i use my smartphone for what it is, a phone... Galaxy s7...

Last edited:

Ryonin Shonin

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
RyoninShonin
I think in theory everything CIG has led onto about spectrum sounds amazing but, they did mention intercepting transmissions and or data shared through spectrum which has raised some questions. If they make voice communication not secured, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. Most voice coms is BS anyway but having to use code to talk could be awesome for immersion but also a pain in the ass and easily circumvented by using discord anyway.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I guess I'm in the wait and see camp. When I first heard it announced, it kind of seemed like they were making something no one was asking for. I'd expect it to be most useful to new and smaller orgs than ours, but I'd just be speculating. I'm no compooter wizerd, so I don't really know what all goes into keeping the TEST forums and Discord going (time, effort, money? you wizerds are appreciated :)!), so maybe it would benefit TEST also.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
seems like I'm the lone naysayer so far

'immersive' is overrated IMO

all comms outside of fleet / intra-crew comms during missions are immersion-breaking by their very nature

Discord is adquate for our needs ATM

so I see building 'immersive' comms as an exercise in futility and a distraction

I would much rather see developer resources directed toward the hard problems CR outlined at CitizenCon

a shiny comms suite can wait until the game has gone live and a few balance passes implemented

bah humbug

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
so we can kiss 'immersion' goodbye from the get-go
I definitely see your point. I would have been satisfied with just some kind of proximity voice channel, and leave the rest to the fan base to decide what they would do. I was hopeful when they were talking about how your mobiglass got damaged, it would have less and less function. But now, it does sound like you will be able to press a function key and trade rare Pepes. Bye-bye, muh immersion.
Not that there weren't all sorts of "suspension of disbelief" elements already (lasers, force fields, aliens, etc.), but every little bit that can tie it back to reality helps. That's why I still think the fan in the Cutlass's cockpit is most immersive and genius thing in game yet.

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
I have no experience with spectrum, but discord works great with voice quality and room management. The only drawback since I use a single monitor, I can't see who is talking when I'm ingame. I always confuse knax and mromutt. Their voices are similar.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I vote all three...
I think there are programs that exist already which fill the niche, and that CIG should be working on completing the game.
I think that it's beneficial to the ORG as it will help the ultra lazy "I already joined CIG, now you want me to join Discord and some Forum, I'm too lazy to do all that hard work..." types get into the overall community. But do we really want to get to know those other 9500 members of TEST that were too lazy/drunk to sign up for the Forums or Discord?
And Discord does work fine. Facebook works fine. Testsquadron.com work fine....

Forgot your password?