Star Citizen nameable ships?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think it really helps with immersion. Also, I think having a named ship will help (some people) connect with said ship, make it more theirs. Perhaps prevent people from making arbitrary / reckless decisions.

I dunno, I really like the idea.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
How important or valuable do you think that the fact that you can name your ship really is? Honestly, I don't know, then again my gaming experience is very limited, hence the search for enlightment from Testies.
If I can help it my ships name will become famous/infamous.

The Millennium Falcon is unmistakably a different beast to the other YT-1300's that came out of the Correlian shipyards.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Really depends on your reputation. Surely everyone has heard of Dread Pirate Roberts, but that's because he has a reputation to keep. As you play with your ships and impact the society around you, your ship's name will start developing noteriety.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You'll have to register them?? I cant say ive heared much about the subject
So far only the 600i and the Drake Corsair has had model-specific reservable names in their concept sale, so you can call your 600i or Corsair the "Serenity" and no one else could call theirs that... their 600i or Corsair, that is.

CIG has said if they limited names across the board you'd end up with "S3r3n1ty", "Sirenetie" and all sorts of other combinations which would look stupid and suck all sorts of nuts (paraphrased, not their actual words), so although it is a Warbond perk on the 600i and Corsair, it's not across the board... add to that it's only going to be for those warbond pledges, everyone else in the game who gets a 600 or Corsair can all call it the same name, as long as it isn't a reserved name, so there can still be twenty "Devils Donut" Corsairs in the 'Verse if that isn't taken in the Concept Warbond stage.

Every other model of ship in the 'verse could have a Serenity, in fact they could have twenty Auroras all called that.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks for the info NafNaf 🍻
No problem, as with everything CIG thats just the plan up until this point, so keep in mind it's always all subject to change.

Also, 32 ASCII characters is your limit so don't call your ship Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis as it won't fit.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I had a list of awesome ship names ready to go, but I've changed my method now, to a bunch of names that are nonsensical but deeply meaningful to me. Should be good for a laugh.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Also, 32 ASCII characters is your limit so don't call your ship Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis as it won't fit.
It's kind of hard to think of 32 character words, but heez I was going to call mine Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicov because it reminds me of Slavic names. The I thought, Naw... I can't even remember that and used a 5 letter Anglo Saxon name that means Hunter.

You don't have to name a ship right away. Just whenever one strikes you is fine.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I was under the impression that CIG was going to use a similar method to ship naming as STO. I'm curious to see how this looks in it's final form.
I'm showing my inexperience here,

1) What is STO's ship naming method?

and

2) What is STO?

:)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Star Trek Online

In a nutshell.. many people can have the same ship name, what is different are the registration numbers
Ahhh, many thanks, yes that does sound exactly what they plan in CIG, interesting to know it exists already :)

Forgot your password?