Star Citizen - Promises made, promises kept

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
So, in order to avoid things that I actually should be doing, I figured I'd take a look at what was Star Citizens original scope for that original 2014 delivery date.
(Yes, I may have ran into another person complaining about how "Star Citizen was supposed to come out in 2014 and it didn't".)
What was promised​
What we had in 2014​
What we had in 2015​
What we have now​
(From main video)​
Fly off a carrier, fight heroic war​
no​
Yes-ish​
(Not the bengal, but some smaller ships)​
Huge Universe​
no​
port Olisar & surroundings​
a system​
PvPvE​
no​
yes​
yes​
Singleplayer campaign with co-op​
no​
no​
no​
Open world​
no​
Yes-ish​
yes​
Dynamic universe, player effect​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
Jump points, discovering systems​
no​
no​
no​
Constant updates​
Yes-ish​
yes​
yes​
Graphical detail, very detailed​
yes​
better​
even better​
Everything in cockpit works​
no​
no​
some ships​
Character interacts with stuff in cockpit​
no​
some​
some​
detailed flight model​
yes​
yes​
yes, several times​
Level of scale from 2m tall character to kilometer long carriers​
no​
some variation in scale​
we've seen that carrier​
PC game​
always​
always​
always​
User designed ships​
No-ish​
No-ish​
No-ish​
(Redeemer?)​
(From description)​
Combat​
yes​
yes​
yes​
Exploration​
no​
very limited​
some​
Trade​
no​
no​
some​
Smuggler​
no​
no​
some​
Pirate​
no​
Yes-ish​
Yes-ish​
Merchant​
no​
no​
No-ish​
Well, you can give items and
receive payment from other
players, so sort of peddling​
Bounty Hunter​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
(combat) pilot​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
Scanning anomalities​
no​
no​
No-ish​
You can scan and find things, just not
jump points​
Selling data (jump points)​
no​
no​
no​
Alien raiders​
No-ish​
No-ish​
No-ish​
(There is vanduul swarm playable but like... )​
Ship upgrading / components​
yes​
yes​
yes​
Distress beacons​
no​
no​
yes​
Combat instances with slots reserved for friends​
no​
no​
think we're planning for something better now​
Friends can man turrets, repair systems, switch to pilot chair​
no​
Yes-ish​
Yes-ish​
(Apart from repairing)​
Like a whole lot of polygons​
yes​
yes, very much​
like too much​
Advanced peripheral support​
yes​
yes​
yes​
VR support (seated)​
yes​
yes​
yes​

Things that weren't initially promised but we got anyhow
Player equipment
Player inventories
Hunger system
Suffocating due to lacking oxygen
Temperature system
Fully explorable planets (yes, we were promised exploration, but this would usually mean something like, you fly to a planet and then that's a location)
Mining
Atmospheric systems
Physicalized ship inventories (We weren't even promised access to every part of every ship, just that you could walk around some real huge ships and access the cockpit/bridge, flight deck and get to turrets)
Racing
Ground vehicles
Fashion (We got like a ton of clothes now)
Cities (Yes yes, exploration was a thing, and visiting places, but we were also told “Star Citizen will feature gameplay similar to the original Wing Commander and Privateer,” where locations were just static images that pop up with galgele style dialogue. Actual, detailed cities are much more than what I expected)
Harvesting entitites
Detailed ecosystems (Kerbal Spaceprogram also allows you to land on planets. SC takes it just WAY beyond that)
This whole lawsystem & prison gameplay
Visual damage and degregation
Oceans
Reputation system
Ship to ship docking (though we were promised you can land on ships, what with there being that whole carrier thing)
Ship to station docking

And then there are things that we weren't promised initially but are now in the works, a whole bunch of them too

EDIT: Whoops, I hit save. Anyhow, I was going to conclude that, yes, we didn't get everything we were supposed to get in original scope with the 2014 release of Arena Commander module. We got something, sure. Also some more detail than we initially bargained for. And no, not everything was there for the 2015 release of Persistent Universe either, though we again had some bonus stuff instead.

And sure, the game is still not released, but we have almost everything of the initial scope and then all this other stuff on top of that. Though a lot of things need way more work.

All in all, I know I'm biased, but still, I'm pretty happy where we are currently, I wasn't too disappointed about where we were a couple of years ago either. The game has been quite playable ever since 2014.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So, in order to avoid things that I actually should be doing, I figured I'd take a look at what was Star Citizens original scope for that original 2014 delivery date.
(Yes, I may have ran into another person complaining about how "Star Citizen was supposed to come out in 2014 and it didn't".)
What was promised​
What we had in 2014​
What we had in 2015​
What we have now​
(From main video)​
Fly off a carrier, fight heroic war​
no​
Yes-ish​
(Not the bengal, but some smaller ships)​
Huge Universe​
no​
port Olisar & surroundings​
a system​
PvPvE​
no​
yes​
yes​
Singleplayer campaign with co-op​
no​
no​
no​
Open world​
no​
Yes-ish​
yes​
Dynamic universe, player effect​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
Jump points, discovering systems​
no​
no​
no​
Constant updates​
Yes-ish​
yes​
yes​
Graphical detail, very detailed​
yes​
better​
even better​
Everything in cockpit works​
no​
no​
some ships​
Character interacts with stuff in cockpit​
no​
some​
some​
detailed flight model​
yes​
yes​
yes, several times​
Level of scale from 2m tall character to kilometer long carriers​
no​
some variation in scale​
we've seen that carrier​
PC game​
always​
always​
always​
User designed ships​
No-ish​
No-ish​
No-ish​
(From description)​
Combat​
yes​
yes​
yes​
Exploration​
no​
very limited​
some​
Trade​
no​
no​
some​
Smuggler​
no​
no​
some​
Pirate​
no​
Yes-ish​
Yes-ish​
Merchant​
no​
no​
No-ish​
Bounty Hunter​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
(combat) pilot​
no​
no​
Yes-ish​
Scanning anomalities​
no​
no​
No-ish​
Selling data (jump points)​
no​
no​
no​
Alien raiders​
No-ish​
No-ish​
No-ish​
(There is vanduul swarm playable but like... )​
Ship upgrading / components​
yes​
yes​
yes​
Distress beacons​
no​
no​
yes​
Combat instances with slots reserved for friends​
no​
no​
think we're planning for something better now​
Friends can man turrets, repair systems, switch to pilot chair​
no​
Yes-ish​
Yes-ish​
(Apart from repairing)​
Like a whole lot of polygons​
yes​
yes, very much​
like too much​
Advanced peripheral support​
yes​
yes​
yes​
VR support (seated)​
yes​
yes​
yes​

Things that weren't initially promised but we got anyhow
Player equipment
Player inventories
Hunger system
Suffocating due to lacking oxygen
Temperature system
Fully explorable planets (yes, we were promised exploration, but this would usually mean something like, you fly to a planet and then that's a location)
Mining
Atmospheric systems
Physicalized ship inventories (We weren't even promised access to every part of every ship, just that you could walk around some real huge ships and access the cockpit/bridge, flight deck and get to turrets)
Racing
Ground vehicles
Fashion (We got like a ton of clothes now)
Cities (Yes yes, exploration was a thing, and visiting places, but we were also told “Star Citizen will feature gameplay similar to the original Wing Commander and Privateer,” where locations were just static images that pop up with galgele style dialogue. Actual, detailed cities are much more than what I expected)
Harvesting entitites
Detailed ecosystems (Kerbal Spaceprogram also allows you to land on planets. SC takes it just WAY beyond that)
This whole lawsystem & prison gameplay
Visual damage and degregation
Oceans
Reputation system
Ship to ship docking (though we were promised you can land on ships, what with there being that whole carrier thing)
Ship to station docking

And then there are things that we weren't promised initially but are now in the works, a whole bunch of them too

EDIT: Whoops, I hit save. Anyhow, I was going to conclude that, yes, we didn't get everything we were supposed to get in original scope with the 2014 release of Arena Commander module. We got something, sure. Also some more detail than we initially bargained for. And no, not everything was there for the 2015 release of Persistent Universe either, though we again had some bonus stuff instead.

And sure, the game is still not released, but we have almost everything of the initial scope and then all this other stuff on top of that. Though a lot of things need way more work.

All in all, I know I'm biased, but still, I'm pretty happy where we are currently, I wasn't too disappointed about where we were a couple of years ago either. The game has been quite playable ever since 2014.

Ackshually, you are wrooong!
This game is a scam! We have way less polygons then we used to have, even though in the very first pitch CR PROMISED everything will be modeled and not faked just by being a texture!

No, really. Apart from the planets/buildings inflating poly counts, a lot of early ships have been reworked to use much less polys. They had to optimize them because it was just not feasible to keep every little detail as real geometry. It was basically pointless when modern tech can do it faster with mapping.
All the the reworked and newer ships now use the usual cheats, like normal and parallax mapping through textures to keep the perceived detail high while not having real polygons to calculate.

See?! Seeee!?!! CR lied, it's a SCAM!

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
This game is a scam! We have way less polygons then we used to have, even though in the very first pitch CR PROMISED everything will be modeled and not faked just by being a texture!

No, really. Apart from the planets/buildings inflating poly counts, a lot of early ships have been reworked to use much less polys. They had to optimize them because it was just not feasible to keep every little detail as real geometry. It was basically pointless when modern tech can do it faster with mapping.
All the the reworked and newer ships now use the usual cheats, like normal and parallax mapping through textures to keep the perceived detail high while not having real polygons to calculate.

LOL... and that 's actually true (the poly count I mean, not the scam...) and that's fine: the idea of more polyequal better visual died probabily with DOOM 3 where the visual quality was achived basically only with texture trics... and that's fine becouse allow even not top noch rigs to run the game in an aceptable way.

Another thing that I'll like to point out is the carrier idea: well we don't have ships like the Bengal or the Pegasus in the PU (yet??), but eitehr the 890J and the Carrack does have an hangar.
Also the Hercules series fell preatty like an Idris deck if you'll like to use it as a carrier...
For the "epic battle" part well that's up to player, but I think the new dinamic events are going in the right direction

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD

Oh, damn. That really fooled me, because everything looks just so much more detailed now. The 2012 demo was looking... very 2012.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Another thing that I'll like to point out is the carrier idea: well we don't have ships like the Bengal or the Pegasus in the PU (yet??), but eitehr the 890J and the Carrack does have an hangar.
Also the Hercules series fell preatty like an Idris deck if you'll like to use it as a carrier...
For the "epic battle" part well that's up to player, but I think the new dinamic events are going in the right direction
Yeah, that's what I meant by "Yes-ish (Not the bengal, but some smaller ships)" because we certainly can lift off from some ships. I'd still say it's going to feel lot different lifting off from an actual carrier, with several wings of fighters following you, but 890 is cool AF as well.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?