Star Marine team assault strategies and briefing

Hydro_Axis

Space Marshal
Mar 3, 2015
RSI Handle
RedBeerdz
As the fps module (AKA: Star Marine) nears release, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread to brainstorm on strategies, tactics, and tools that would give TEST members an edge.

I'm not sure how many of you guys have played Counterstrike 1.6, Source, or GO presently or in the past, but a few FPS junkies including myself who are anxiously awaiting the release of Star Marine have been playing GO on a pretty regular basis to feed the FPS addiction.

During my years of playing competitive CS:S, we had a few tools at our disposal in order to plan routes, meeting points, ambush tactics, and defensive maneuvers. One such tools was a small piece of software known as cstrat. A topographical map of any given game map that allowed you to devise stratagies to attack and/ or defend. It included timestamps so that teammates could plan exact times to be in certain locations, and even when and where flashes, smokes, etc should be thrown in order to achieve a desired outcome.

I guess what I'm wondering is that when maps are release and folks get the layouts, if there are any techie neckbeards out there that could find the time and a way to retrofit or modify the cstrat software for use w/ SC.

If anyone thinks they are up to the task I would be happy to get the software and collaberate on ways we could use it to make TEST an unstoppable force to be reckoned with in FPS and eventually the PTU.

Hell, maybe we could hit up CIG w/ the idea and they could whip something up.

Lemme here your thoughts and ideas

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
As the fps module (AKA: Star Marine) nears release, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread to brainstorm on strategies, tactics, and tools that would give TEST members an edge.

I'm not sure how many of you guys have played Counterstrike 1.6, Source, or GO presently or in the past, but a few FPS junkies including myself who are anxiously awaiting the release of Star Marine have been playing GO on a pretty regular basis to feed the FPS addiction.

During my years of playing competitive CS:S, we had a few tools at our disposal in order to plan routes, meeting points, ambush tactics, and defensive maneuvers. One such tools was a small piece of software known as cstrat. A topographical map of any given game map that allowed you to devise stratagies to attack and/ or defend. It included timestamps so that teammates could plan exact times to be in certain locations, and even when and where flashes, smokes, etc should be thrown in order to achieve a desired outcome.

I guess what I'm wondering is that when maps are release and folks get the layouts, if there are any techie neckbeards out there that could find the time and a way to retrofit or modify the cstrat software for use w/ SC.

If anyone thinks they are up to the task I would be happy to get the software and collaberate on ways we could use it to make TEST an unstoppable force to be reckoned with in FPS and eventually the PTU.

Hell, maybe we could hit up CIG w/ the idea and they could whip something up.

Lemme here your thoughts and ideas
My advice is to not use csgo as an example of the anticipated game play in Star Marine. Comparable games would be SWAT 4, Arma 3, and the like.

The idea of having a way to lay out strategies is not a bad one. But I am of the mind that we should be able to fight on the fly without needing a central strategy. That is to say, we should be able to condition ourselves to respond to various scenarios appropriately.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
We will have the ability to have free roam. There is a lot of potential as things get going to maybe make some videos or top down maps later on this. I'm sure after a bit of time playing we will know what to do in certain situations and then can simulate that in free roam or private matches then record them and maybe password protect them on youtube or vimeo for main org members if we choose to not share it with the world. Not sure how lock and key this will end up being but with only one map and a huge Reddit community I'm sure everyone will know the tricks just like Source, BF234 or COD after a few weeks. I haven't played CS:GO and almost refuse to at this point but I don't know how worn out or memorized the maps are. Either way really excited to see how this expands and how quickly they'll add Star Marine content.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
My advice is to not use csgo as an example of the anticipated game play in Star Marine. Comparable games would be SWAT 4, Arma 3, and the like.
Coincidentally, I actually ordered SWAT 4 recently. If anyone else has it I'd be up for coop.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Arma series, operation flashpoint series, pretty much any of the more sim-like combat games should be way higher up than they are on any "training" list.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Coincidentally, I actually ordered SWAT 4 recently. If anyone else has it I'd be up for coop.
SWAT 4 is not playable online since the Sierra servers went down back when the company went under. :( There are workarounds, but they take a bit of working to do.

Just do the singleplayer campaigns and you'll see just how it emphasizes certain points of combat.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
SWAT 4 is not playable online since the Sierra servers went down back when the company went under. :( There are workarounds, but they take a bit of working to do.

Just do the singleplayer campaigns and you'll see just how it emphasizes certain points of combat.
Huh, well that sucks. I guess I could figure a way around it, but I'll be happy with singleplayer if not!

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
As it gets even closer, it might not be a bad idea to spool up a smallish (~20-30 slots) Arma 3 server and to develop some missions that focus on teamwork and proper clearing techniques for multi-story buildings. Of course it wouldn't hurt to do some other missions too. :D

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
If we can as a group, just take up a whole game instance, we should be able to free roam and investigate the crap out of the maps. Also develop some ideas for what strats would be good to learn and invest in. Beyond that, do some finger reflex exercises as well as something that helps build hand eye coordination (like juggling!). Worked for me back when I used to play CS 1.3-1.5 competitively.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I have both ArmA 3 and Insurgency. I'd be open to playing TEST matches on either/both of those games in preparation.
Arma 3 and Insurgency I'm down.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
This is how I imagine TESTies in combat:

Forgot your password?