Super Hornet, Attrition Repeaters and Power Failures

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

I've been TESTing (in Arena Commander) fully overclocked standard loadout Super Hornet [Regulus, AllStop (x2), Bracer (x2)] + [Bulldog (x2), Badger (x2), Scorpion (x2)] versus the same, but with Attriion-1 (x2) and Attrition-2 (x2) repeaters. Fully overclocked means overclocking everything: power plant, coolers, shields, weapons.

The good thing is that when overclocked attrition repeaters fire much faster (gatlng gun rate of fire) and do much more damage than Bulldogs and Bargers, so that Buccaneer ships get evaporated instantly. However, at some point the power just shuts down, so it gets difficult to take down something like a Cutlass Black or a Constellation Andromeda. You can see how Attrition guns tear through shields and armor in seconds, and then it's the ship power down. If you power up again, you need to remove overclock, otherwise it will be a perpetual power down few seconds after every power up.

In comparison, Bulldogs and Badgers cause the same but much later into combat.

In theory (from weapon stats) Attrition repeaters (size 1 and 2) draw less power and require less cooling than Bulldog and Badger repeaters. Also, in theory, if your systems draw too much power, so that your power plant can't supply enough, your will have to wait until every system gets enough power and you may use the power priority to choose which system gets it first. In testing it seems to the contrary.

I wasn't able to find any stats on how much attrition repeaters increase their damage, as well as heat radiation and power consumption when fired continuously, - the only data is "sustained DPS", which doesn't seem valid for Attrition repeaters, since those do the more damage the more heat they generate.

Even if you only leave the weapons overclocked, the power down still appears to happen.

So, have anyone experienced the same power downs? Any root cause and workaround?

Also, does anyone know how much attrition repeaters increase their damage, as well as heat radiation and power consumption when fired continuously?

🍻

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Interesting findings!
The only thing I have experience with is adding two size1 lasers to an otherwise stock Mustang Alpha. The extra weapons draw so much power that it's unable to fly if you turn on those guns.

Reactions: Deroth

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The Aegis Regulus is one of the weakest S1 reactors. I suggest you pull it and replace it with a StarHeart. Should clear up your troubles completely as it provides 50% more power.

Reactions: GarikDuvall

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Have not found anything that lists the increase in damage, but this one shows the heat generation and power consumption:

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Have not found anything that lists the increase in damage, but this one shows the heat generation and power consumption:
Great link, thanks for that.
Indeed, from the details ("the theory") Bulldog seems the same as Attrition-1, even better on DPS. However, there must be some logic used to increase performance for Attrition when the fire is sustained.

The weapon descriptions say (I underline the main features):

Attrition 1: "The Attrition-1 laser repeater features Hurston Dynamics' unique cascade technology which provides increased performance while sustained laser fire is maintained. The result is a size one weapon that rewards a deft operator. "

Attrition 2 : "When the battle is heating up, that's when Hurston Dynamics' cascade laser technology really shines. With the size two Attrition-2 repeater, an operator can utilize sustained bursts of laser fire in order to translate excess heat into greater weapon performance. "

Attrition 3: Rather than limiting their weapon's performance to increase stability, Hurston Dynamics' cascade technology allows the operator to decide. While overheating is a risk, longer periods of sustained fire with the Attrition-3 laser repeater will increase performance as excess heat is translated into greater energy output.

Attrition 4: Hurston Dynamics has fully integrated it's cascade laser technology into their Attrition-line of repeaters. The size four Attrition-4 is no exception, operating at peak performance when near its maximum thermal capacity.

Attrition 5: More than a simple size five laser repeater, the Attrition-5 from Hurston Dynamics features advanced cascade technology to allow the weapon significant performance improvements the longer it sustains its energy output.

Attrition 6: With Hurston Dynamics' cascade technology, the Attrition-6 laser repeater maximizes it's combat potential. It's common for weapons to heat up when used heavily in combat, but what sets this size six repeater apart is that thermal energy is translating directly into increased offensive strength.

In testing I can see Attrition repeaters speed up when fired continuously, it's a bit difficult to see the damage increase, so I can only base it on the descriptions above. Attrition is a laser repeater (as stated by the description), and it is likely to be an infrared laser, which diverts built up heat into something, see below. Not sure why infrared beam is visible though, maybe it's the glow of the matter the beam is traveling through.

The main hypotheses I have are:

1) Attrition diverts built up heat into higher rate of fire to remove excess heat faster. Can see this in Arena Commander, as rate of fire significantly increases with sustained fire.

2) Attrition diverts built up heat into more powerful beams. Can't really see this in Arena Commander, but can notice the time it takes to destroy a target.

3) Both 1 and 2 are true.

Can't do a good video capture, having some issues with FRAPS, - doesn't seem to record video from 3.6.0 - 3.6.1 (no issues with other games). Windows capture works, but the quality isn't good.

• o7
Reactions: Zookajoe

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Interesting findings!
The only thing I have experience with is adding two size1 lasers to an otherwise stock Mustang Alpha. The extra weapons draw so much power that it's unable to fly if you turn on those guns.
The Aegis Regulus is one of the weakest S1 reactors. I suggest you pull it and replace it with a StarHeart. Should clear up your troubles completely as it provides 50% more power.

Interested in hearing your new results, if you swap out the reactor with one Shadow Reaper mentioned.
Thanks for the advice. I did a bid of research via SCDB as well as via Star Citizen DPS Calculator

Indeed StarHeart is the best size 1 power plant by the power generation. I thought that Regulus has a high overclocking capability, as well as reliability, due to being a military grade. Maybe it's the current iteration that doesn't show the wear and tear much. According to the DPS Calculator if my weapons are firing and shields are charging, and ship is moving, even StarHeart won't produce enought power. However, when using the overclocked StarHrart I haven't experienced any insufficient power supply or power downs. The only other couple of systems that may change this would be shields and coolers - there are models with greater power consumption, other than default Bracer and AllStop.

I have also made a video on this. Sometimes an enemy ship is evaporated instantly, sometimes it takes a bit more time to take down. Not sure why, more TESTing required.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
My Sabre is currently sporting a quad of Attrition-2, pair of star heart reactors, pair of endo coolers and 3 bulwark shields. Overclocking everything I don't seem to have any heat problems even burning down an npc cutlass.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
My Sabre is currently sporting a quad of Attrition-2, pair of star heart reactors, pair of endo coolers and 3 bulwark shields. Overclocking everything I don't seem to have any heat problems even burning down an npc cutlass.
It's a bit easier for Sabre, since it has 2 power plants and 4 weapon hardpoints, while Super Hornet only has 1 power plant, but 6 hardpoints (even if you use the same guns, Super Hornet will have more power requirements for waepons). I tried estimating the max overclocked power output by StarHeart, and I've got about 5.500 - even 1 power plant is more than enough to power everything up, and 2 of these is a lot of redundancy with 11,000 power output on a Sabre.

Interestingly enough, I've found a 2.6.1 specs and Regulus was the most powerful reactor in 2.6.1, 20% more powerful than StarHeart. Also, the old specs have Sabre stated as having 3 power plants. I also remember that back in the old systems mechanics Super Hornet was supposed to have 1 size up power plant, engine and shield; I think TR4 engine, size 2 powerplant and size 2 shield, while all normal Hornets had TR3 and size 1 respectively.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Damn that Connie Andromeda was taken out fast!
Yes, that was a bit of a surprise. I reviewed the footage a few times, - looks like the Connie didn't change the side it was facing me - always exposed the front side - so that my guns melted it's shields and then did damage to the body. Often, with smaller nimble ships or if you traverse around a medium ship like the Connie, the side under fire changes and your guns keep melting the shields, rather than damaging the hull. There are a few examples of this in my clip.

Forgot your password?