TEST Book Club - June Nominations

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Hello TESTies! Our resident Bookworm Supreme is off galavanting around parts unknown at the moment finally getting around to that honeymoon that he was waiting for and asked me to fill in for him and make a nomination thread for June. Since I am totally capable of coming up with what to say on my own, turn your attention to the not at all copy and pasted info below.

Welcome back fellow bookworms!

I hope you enjoyed (or are still enjoying) April's May's selection of Old Man's War Omega Rising as much as I did. John Scalzi Joshua Dalzell is now one of my new favorite a writers.
Let's open up May's June's nominations and get our potentials out there! I would like to welcome anyone to participate in our collective nominating and voting within the book club! We try to stick to the fantasy/science fiction realm of book genres, however, if you have another book in mind, please do not hesitate to submit it!

Below are the rules for the nomination process:
  • One nomination per person
  • Include book title and author
  • No changing your pick
  • Feel free to explain (without spoiling) why you nominated your pick

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
I've picked up May's selection and it's next on my reading list. Looking forward to that.

For June I propose the sci-fi book Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force Book 1) by Craig Alanson. Currently on sale on Amazon for 99 pence for the Kindle version (UK. I assume U.S./other will be equivalent).

I read this last month and tremendously enjoyed it. The author has a wry sense of humour, and there was more than one occasion when I had a tear trickling down my face as I laughed (predominantly over the interaction between the two main characters throughout this series). I can also very much recommend picking up the Audible audio book version as well. R.C. Bray does a fantastic job of narrating, and if you buy the kindle version then the audio book costs only another £3.

The spoiler free plot synopsis is that Earth is invaded by an alien race, but saved almost immediately by a second race of aliens who then make use of human armed forces to assist in their multi-millennia war. Things however aren't quite what they seem.

Ok, it's not an original plot, but the author's handling of the lead character is excellent and it's a fun read, with plenty of humorous moments dotted throughout. I bought number two and three in the series and enjoyed those just as much. I plan to come back to the series and finish off any remaining books (currently seven in the series) in the not too distant future.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I've picked up May's selection and it's next on my reading list. Looking forward to that.

For June I propose the sci-fi book Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force Book 1) by Craig Alanson. Currently on sale on Amazon for 99 pence for the Kindle version (UK. I assume U.S./other will be equivalent).

I read this last month and tremendously enjoyed it. The author has a wry sense of humour, and there was more than one occasion when I had a tear trickling down my face as I laughed (predominantly over the interaction between the two main characters throughout this series). I can also very much recommend picking up the Audible audio book version as well. R.C. Bray does a fantastic job of narrating, and if you buy the kindle version then the audio book costs only another £3.

The spoiler free plot synopsis is that Earth is invaded by an alien race, but saved almost immediately by a second race of aliens who then make use of human armed forces to assist in their multi-millennia war. Things however aren't quite what they seem.

Ok, it's not an original plot, but the author's handling of the lead character is excellent and it's a fun read, with plenty of humorous moments dotted throughout. I bought number two and three in the series and enjoyed those just as much. I plan to come back to the series and finish off any remaining books (currently seven in the series) in the not too distant future.
That's a good one, and the while series is pretty good. I think the most recent book might have been the end of it, but I hope he does more with the series.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Once I was a solid reader of books anything from pure manuals to fiction literature I read anything if it peeked my interest.
How it is to day that I rarely read books, I still do find some that peek my interest and get me drawn in.
And as I have a big interest in aviation it happened, I found a very interesting book about one of the most successful aircraft of WW2 from the pilots view.
So I would like to nominate that book.

The de Havilland Mosquito: Through the Eyes of a Pilot

The de Havilland DH 98 Mosquito was one of the fastest and most versatile aircraft of the Second World War. One of the first multi-role aircraft, it was used for reconnaissance and also as a fighter, fighter-bomber, night fighter and interceptor. This book, written by David Ogilvy, one of the last surviving pilots to have flown Mosquitos in squadron service and later in a civilian capacity, spread intermittently over fifteen years, provides an expert inside story of the secret development of the aircraft, the astonishing impact it made when first flown, its operational achievements, handling qualities and the many design developments that took it from quicksilver photographic reconnaissance aircraft to long-range bomber and pathfinder. As preparations are made to bring a working Mosquito back to Britain from New Zealand, this book is a worthy testament to one of the most remarkable British military aircraft.

About the Author
David Ogilvy served in the Royal Air Force for six years, flying a range of aircraft, including the Tiger Moth, Mosquito and Meteor. After leaving the RAF, he spent fourteen years in pilot training and became Chief Instructor of the Air Schools group, with responsibility for three establishments. In 1951, David Ogilvy became general manager of the Shuttleworth Collection and in 1967 he was a founding member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots' Association (AOPA). He is also vice-president of the Historic Aircraft Association and a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

CHEERS! 🍻

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
hmmm
dirk gently's holistic detective agency, by douglas adams
it appeals to my sense of humour
I've been meaning to read this one forever, he's a great author. Fun fact Towel Day is this coming Saturday so some friends organized a bar crawl for that day that is exactly 4.2 km long, covers like 6 or 7 bars.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Sure why not try for We Are Legion, We Are Bob by Dennis E Taylor one more time. Here's the Goodreads link for it.
I listened to part of that on an audiobook, I liked what I heard, but I more or less only remember about the first 1/3. I let audiobooks play while I'm going to sleep, it's like someone reading you a bed time story but not as awkward because you're both adults! Erm...anyway yeah, good pick.

Also read this one, actually read the whole series. Nice bit of 'magician learning the ropes' sort of book, except if I remember right there's a lot more creature summoning then some of the other books in the genre that I've read.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Some great books in the list.

I loved Red Rising, definitely the best in the series. The final Empire is another corker. Funilly enough I was actually reading We are Legion when I replied to last months thread, so have just finished that and am reading (and enjoying) the May selection. Thank you @Mich Angel for that Mosquito suggestion. i have added it to my amazon wishlist, and will definitely grab a copy if and when I can get a cheap second hand copy.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Some great books in the list.

I loved Red Rising, definitely the best in the series. The final Empire is another corker. Funilly enough I was actually reading We are Legion when I replied to last months thread, so have just finished that and am reading (and enjoying) the May selection. Thank you @Mich Angel for that Mosquito suggestion. i have added it to my amazon wishlist, and will definitely grab a copy if and when I can get a cheap second hand copy.
My wife and I love Red Rising too. It's our favorite science fiction book so far.

Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?