TEST Squadron Desk Mat!

Are you *seriously* interested in purchasing a TEST Desk Pad?

• Yes Pad

Votes: 73 59.3%
  • No, my desk is #yoloSwag'd out more than I can handle already!

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Not at this time, but in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Maybe if there is enough interest I'll go in on one.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Yes. In fact I will want more than 1!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
IMPORTANT UPDATE

So, for the time being these mats are not available. My manufacturer has made some pretty substantial changes to their available dimensions and at this point, the cost for this size is approaching 50 bucks a pop!

There are other dimensions available that I'm currently playing with, but because of the new ratios (and some copyright concerns) I'm currently doing a very extensive redesign of the mats. I'm hoping to have at least 3-5 new options put together in the coming weeks and I should be able to maintain a stock of at least 2-3 different styles (community choice of course). Interestingly the new dimensions actually have more surface area than these do so they are actually larger.

I haven't done a trial run of the new dimensions/mats so I cannot say with certainty what the quality is like. I'm obviously scratching my head at how it can be larger and cheaper if it's the same material (unless it's a typo on their end), but I have seen nothing that would make me think it uses different base materials or printing processes.

Now, the next question is "What's happening with the existing mats?" It's true that I do have a decent stock of them currently, but I'm on the fence about what to do with them at this moment in time. Part of me is wanting to do a big giveaway, but there are a few people who have expressed interest in buying one before I made this announcement (I have a list of who you are so I won't miss anyone).

There is a very good chance that the existing mats will never be made again (I'd have to place an order for at least 50 of them in order to get the price down to something reasonable).

I'll keep this thread updated as I move forward, but once things are getting closer to finalized I'll retire this thread for a new one.

Current available stock:
Smooth mats: 14
Rough: 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's apparently some sort of image limit so this is broken down into multiple posts.

Some of you may remember a few months back I posted about having ordered a custom made, desk sized mouse mat. However, due to some big life things I haven't had much time to post here at all. Thankfully things have settled down to a comfortable point so in addition to having time to post more, I can really do this thing justice. Because it is a beauty!

Plenty of pics ahead so spoiler tags incoming for brevity's sake.

Oooooooohhh! AAaaaaaahhh! (That's the sound of admiration. Not terror. FYI.)

Gee wilikers! Yellow tape on a black box was purely incidental I'm sure.

That'll do the trick (Black and Yellow axe not specifically intentional).

Normally the pads are shipped flat in a generic box, but since this was a special order they used a retail box from another line they manufacture. I felt the need to include it because it's completely irrelevant to the TEST brand.
I'm assuming RussianJ had something to do with this.

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Part 3:

I think I've seen this before...

I've DEFINITELY seen *this* before!

Do you not appreciate the artesticleness of my photography skills?

Helles Yeah indeed!

Close up of our glorious logo:

Ooooooh yeah baby.... That's good....

Kind of blurry. Forgive my terrible phone camera.

There is no blotching, smudges, or bleeding anywhere on the actual pad. That's purely an effect from the photo I took. It's 2015 and Samsung can't put a camera in a phone that isn't run by garbage software. It's certainly not me. Nope. It's those damn engineers that can't get their shit together. Yup. That's who's at fault here. Totally not me.

I'm thrilled with the level of detail preserved here!

The door windows (the grey Poké Ball looking thing) is *juuuuust* smaller than the diameter of a standard US No. 2 pencil, if that helps to give an idea of how detailed the print job is.

*Alpha version "Sun Blotting" activation requires wrapping mat around your entire head. In the daytime.

What did you expect? I only took the picture because I was inspecting for any tears/flaws in the rubber (of which I found none).

Among other things.

CH Combatstick, full keyboard, and plenty of room for the mouse.

Another angle shot? I took the pictures and you're going to look at them dammit.

It might be hard to tell in the pictures, but this much space allows me to completely move my courser, at 500 dpi, from edge to edge across two 1080p screens with a little bit of room to spare.

It's really quite huge.

11 and 1/16th inches to be exact.

More than enough for you to move your hands across baby.

Whoo boy. After all that I don't think "spoiler" is a word anymore (I contemplated nesting several dozen spoilers, but it was more work than I cared about doing). Also, I expect your overall reaction to be similar to Vince McMahon's:

So, I love this thing! I totally understand that I'm biased because I made it, but I've seen the official Star Citizen mats and while I won't go as far as to say that this is *better*, it is most certainly comparable in quality. Obviously I'm more inclined to want the TEST logo on my desk than a ship image and it's manufacturer's logo, but seriously, this thing is pretty damn sweet. My hope is that there is enough interest for me to place an order. Originally when I made the purchase the site let me order a single unit, instead of the standard minimum of 10. I ended up having to pay more for the setup costs, but the cost difference wasn't a big deal to me for a trial run.

The quality of this thing is simply outstanding. The cloth mesh the design is printed on is a solid thread count and good quality. There is no blotching or discoloration anywhere on the entire pad. The blacks are black and the yellow is on point. There is very tight stitching around the entire border and that's kind of a big deal for a gaming mouse pad. There are plenty of cheaper options for printing a custom mouse pad, but they either aren't nearly as big, or they don't have any stitching. I can promise that if the edges aren't stitched, then they will be peeling in a matter of months if you're a daily gamer. There was some warping around the edge of the pad when I received it, but that is a common occurrence with large slabs of rubber. As the glue cures and dries it can pull on / shrink the soft rubber which causes warping. That has since gone away with no negative effect on the pad (admittedly though the warping on my pad was in the center of the top edge which is behind my keyboard so not only do I never see it, but that area isn't being utilized like where my mouse is). Finally, the rubber side of the mat is done in a very fine herringbone pattern so it has excellent grip. Although, because it's so big and there's so much stuff on it I wouldn't expect it to move much anyway, but it's attention to those details that really make this thing amazing.

Also, I've spilled beer on it a couple of times and not only is it washable, but the beer doesn't soak into it so I was able to fold it in half and pour the beer directly into my mouth like Montoya would want!

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket

EDIT: I'm a big lug and forgot to include the dimensions down here.

900mm x 320mm x 3mm(thick) --- 36" x 12" x 3mm(thick)

So let's talk turkey

The minimum order is 10 units. I have not asked if orders have to be in multiples of 10 (I wouldn't think so, but I'll have to check).

The price is $30 per pad ($300 for a minimum order). I do not know if there are further discounts for larger orders, but it's hard to say if we would order enough to qualify.

There is no shipping cost into the US (for bulk custom orders), BUT (and this is the biggest hang up I think we'll encounter here) it's hard to determine shipping from me to individual members. I'm not looking to make any money on this, but sadly I don't have the funds to cover the cost of repackaging and shipping them all out. I will weigh mine the next time I go to the office (in the original box) so we can have a starting point for individual shipping. One option would be to have people send the money for just the pad initially (so only the $30 per) and then once they are in and ready to be delivered, everyone pays their shipping costs.

Obviously international shipping from the US will be expensive, but I know that we have a good number of trustworthy individuals in the EU that we could possibly work with for distributing the individual pads there.

For mailing, I would purchase shipping tubes (likely from Amazon) as they are affordable (1-2 dollars per tube depending on the type) and a very safe way to mail rolled objects (I've used them extensively and never had a problem anyway).

It would be cool to have some TEST branded labeling for the boxes. I work for a magazine so I have access to top notch laser printers (We don't have oversized printers, but we have people that do. I haven't got the faintest idea what the costs would be on that front).

I am planning on placing an order myself soon(tm) to have on hand for when someone wants to buy one (and maybe do a giveaway), but until I have the cash to do that, I would like to see if enough people want to pitch in now and get an order placed in time for Christmas (hint hint wink wink). Or at least enough to make it feasible to place an order.

Let me know what you think of the pad. Do you think it's good branding for TEST? Would a video of the pad be better than all the pictures? Should I burn it and apologize? DO YOU WANT ONE!? (I mean, of course you do! What a silly question.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give some additional info on the ROUGH mats.

(You can pretty much ignore the photo comments)

While the fabric is noticeably different, it is just as good looking as the SMOOTH mats. The fabric is intentionally designed to prevent objects from sliding around on it. If you want a mat for your keyboard and HOTAS then it would be perfect for that, but I would *not* recommend using the rough mats for your mouse. You can do what you want with it obviously, but all sales are final :p

Speaking of sales, if you want a rough mat, I'm thinking that $20 including shipping is how I want to handle them. Shipping will on average run ~$7 and the money made from these will go towards getting more of the smooth mats (shipping to US members anyway, if you're international we'll work something out). I'm not looking to make money from fellow TEST members, but I feel that this is a good opportunity to allow me some additional freedom to continue being able to provide cool stuff for everyone that wants it!

Last edited:

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
Excellent timing and nice pad. :-)

I have one of the RSI ones and really like it's ability to keep things from sliding around, although I would have liked it to be a tiny bit wider.

I can get the Throttle/Keyboard/Trackball/Joystick on there, but space for a mouse/trackball between the stick and keyboard is a little tight.

Another 4"-6" would have given the extra room to spread out and let you have a nice place for the mouse/trackball. That would also allow wider keyboards (mine is pretty small on width).

The RSI wide pad (on their website) is 36" wide x 11.5" deep. 40"-42"" x 12" would be better I think.

I was going to order another one for my other computer but I'd rather have a test one, so I'll hold off.

Also, I'm not sure how well the material the RSI one is made from is going to hold up over time.
If there are any options on upgrading the material quality, that might be something to ask about.

Note space where Trackball is-

With 4" to 6" of space added:

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
how large is this pad? if its a good size for my desk i would certainly be interested

UUUuugggggghhhh......

I *knew* I was going to forget something important! I have updated the post. Thank you Dude for pointing out my oversight!

Dimensions are: 900mm x 320mm x 3mm(thick) --- 36" x 12" x 3mm(thick)

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Yes please! I am absolutely interested in this. Shipping will not be a problem, just gimme gimme gimme!

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
So what are the chances that we could do some trading perhaps? I'd love to have one of those big pads and I could very happily send you a couple of my large maps all signed and pretty for your wall ;)

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I'm super stoked about the response so far! Given how many people are saying they do want one I should be able to get an order placed for at least the minimum 10 units very soon. I can personally cover 4 or 5 right now to have on hand if someone wants one in the future. I have asked if orders have to be in multiples of 10, but am still waiting to hear back on that. And as I said before, I'll get the pad weighed tomorrow so people can calculate shipping.

If you want one PM me!

Cash (large, marked bills only), PayPal, Google Wallet, Schrute Bucks, and beer are cool with me. If you want to work out a trade PM me what you're thinking and we'll see if we can work something out! I'm willing to entertain almost any trade proposal. So if you think the offer is of equal value tell me.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'm willing to entertain almost any trade proposal. So if you think the offer is of equal value tell me.
Do you accept bottlescaps?

Seriously though, I might be interested but we'll see.

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
I want this, that aurora print is divine.
Give it to me.
Why don't I have one yet?

pls respond.

If you have enough support you've got my $30 and change Epi ;)

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Why don't I have one yet?

pls respond.

If you have enough support you've got my $30 and change Epi ;)
You don't have one simply because I am the sole owner of the only known TEST desk mat in existence!

Oh wow... That thought is a lot heavier than I realized. I'm not sure I can handle this level of responsibility! Shit! Order all the mats!!

The support so far has been amazing! You guys are all pretty kick-ass! PM's have been flying around, I'm making a list (and drunk checking it twice) for those that want one (and want it now!).

Really, the biggest/only thing I'm waiting on at this moment in time is hearing back regarding order quantity. I don't foresee any hangups there, but it's vital info. Once I hear back from them on that (and that will probably be tomorrow, maybe Tuesday) I'll make a last call for getting in on this order (probably through the following weekend). Then it's a simple matter of getting a final count, get addresses and such, figuring up costs, and placing the order.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Good news everyone!

Any order quantity at or above 10 units is fine.

Given the current level of interest I believe it should be possible to get the initial order placed by no later than the middle of next week!

Something that I haven't covered yet, but need to, is the time it will take to get them in the mail to everyone. The set-up time is ~3 days before they leave the manufacturer. After that it gets much more difficult to determine wait time. When I did this the first time, my pad sat on the dock for 7 days before leaving on the boat. I have absolutely no frame of reference if that is a good or bad thing. Once the boat reaches the US though it has to pass through customs. I only waited 3 days on customs, but it could take weeks. Depending on what else is on the boat, in the container, and where in the container our package is. My total wait time, from clicking "buy" to opening the box was 16 days, but I can't say it will be as quick this round. I just don't know. Once I get labels from everyone the boxes will be ready and waiting so it should only be a few additional days (depending on your chosen delivery options) to get it to you.

The weight of the pad is 1 lb 4.6 oz in the original box. The boxes I'm looking at might be a touch heavier, but not enough to alter shipping costs. I would declare the weight as 2lbs. They will be delivered from Lexington Ky. The originating ZIP is 40517. It'll cost anywhere from $6 - $12ish bucks minimum to deliver anywhere in the US (assuming no additional options are required). For example, Priority 2-day mail (which includes tracking) from me to Seattle is $11.55 (or $9.97 if purchased online). That's not all that bad imo.

International shipping is a different beast, but we'll get that worked out too.

If you want/need yours shipped through a specialty carrier (UPS/FedEx/etc) you must confirm that with me, otherwise they're coming standard USPS. If you want a tracking number or delivery confirmation or anything like that then, again, you must confirm that. Alternatively, you can personally go to the website of your carrier of choice and purchase the label online yourself and email/PM me the label to print (the USPS offers decent discounts on almost every option when buying online). Keep in mind that the boxes are 3x3x12 inches so any label *must* fit within those dimensions.

Currently it looks like we've got 6 people outright stating they want one. I can definitely cover the cost of 4 or 5 pads, but I would greatly prefer to get as many ordered now as we can given the minimum I have to buy at once. If, in a few months time, 1 or 2 people want one, it will be considerably tougher to make that happen on a time table that works well.

It would be amazing if we could get some additional interest from our European members. Any order I place above 200 bucks includes free delivery (limit one address unfortunately, they can't split the addresses (I already asked)). I would love to place two separate orders if possible. One coming stateside that I would manage and another to our top secret European base where someone could distribute directly from there in the same manner. International shipping is crazy expensive. I don't know how much it costs to mail things around from within the EU, but I know it'll cost anywhere from 30-100 bucks to mail it there from the US.

I will send PM's to everyone in this thread that I haven't heard from already either tonight or tomorrow evening, but don't hesitate to PM me first.

If you haven't posted in this thread yet, but are interested in getting one of these sweet sweet desk mats, PM ME!

Again, just to summarize, the pad costs $30 and you pay actual shipping from 40517. It shouldn't be more than $40 to get one if you're in the states!

Reactions: WarrenPeace
Forgot your password?