Other TEST Weapons Research Lab - FOR SCIENCE!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
For a long while now I and a few others have been theorycrafting weirdo weapons and ships and gadgets and tech and stuff under the name of TWRL, the TEST Weapons Research Lab.

I thought it might be near time to suggest making it semi-official what with that Dev video recently where they discussed a potential minigame based on the board game Mastermind.

So, is there any interest? The TEST Weapons Research Lab wouldn't necessarily only research weapons, but it would be generally accepted that any scientific discovery would be able to be weaponized given enough time and beer so we may as well do all science in the Weapons Research Lab to save time.

I have an Endeavor named the "Ambergris" with a hangar and a fuel pod, and hopefully a supercollider and maybe the Research and Science pods come the November Anniversary Sale, to start our good works off in.

*Disclaimer* I am crap at logic puzzles, but believe that because most of humanities greatest discoveries were made on accident we can't fail!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What if we are more interested in de-weaponizing things?
That is also a thing that can happen. We can have science contests where we have to make science and anti-science and see which one wins.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
A submunition missile like the Rattler, but it fires bunches of minirockets with target painting beacons instead of warheads. They'd stick onto the ship and give it a signal to lock onto to guide missiles and decrease the effectiveness of flairs and chaff.

An alternative to signal beacons could be paint warheads or paint gun rounds with a paint that's highly reflective to radar and is mildly radioactive like thorium, so your ship's sensors could more easily pick it up and track it.

A missile with a shield projector module instead of a warhead. You fire it and it sticks onto the enemy ship and throws up a shield that's configured to block things leaving instead of incoming like a normal ship shield. It leaches power from the ship to power the shield. It would either disable the ship by draining it's power, or block shots from it's guns. Put a target painting beacon on it so if you manage to land one on a ship you can hit it easier with subsequent missile shots or you could track it like a homing beacon at least.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Alright, im all for this plan.
Also i have a great idea: a science gun.
Basically, you point it at people/ships/things, and it fires a science beam at them and sciences them.
there'd be a little screen on the side that would tell you the science.
i drew this diagram to make it more clear:
sciencegun.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
All excellent submissions! TEST is clearly an ORG with some big thinkers!

My original TWRL/TWIRL thread can be found here for further reading:

https://testsquadron.com/threads/twrl-test-weapons-research-lab.8549/

And the worlds first ever mention of TWRL/TWIRL here on Dawnshies Avacado Gun thread while in discussion with DarthMatter:

https://testsquadron.com/threads/semi-silly-side-question.8136/page-2#post-121009

Unofficially TWRLs first project was/is the TP20,000 - a Toilet Paper Gun:

toilet_paper_gun_prank.gif

I think it is clear from the above GIF the devastating immobilizing/day-spoiling power of this device! But don't let the fact i'm saving up for a battery-powered leaf blower and a paint roller stop other brave members of TWRL/TWIRL from thinking up some other great ideas, though!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
TWRL

not Independent enough

needs to be TWIRL

as in, sitting on your thumb and rotating
Thank you, Maynard! You've solved an issue before it even arose!

The beauty of it:

If TWRL becomes official TEST lore/group, its TWRL - TEST Weapons Research Lab.

If not (although a mechanic due for Dev, for whatever reason science may not eventually become part of the game) we can continue to Science/mess about with the game mechanics by being the totally independent TWIRL - TEST Weapons (Independent) Research Lab.

Only time will tell which one we finally become 🙂

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Another Submission for TWRL and E-War / B-War (brain war):

Based on the recent TEST forum update and the short but spectacular Emoji Supersizing, I propose an E-War Emoji Upsizer... Get close to the Vanduul, hack into their version of Spectrum and set all of their Emojis to 1028x1028 pixels. Their version of Spectrum is suddenly becomes very hard to read and thus breaks down communications between them.

If the Vanduul respond by simply not using Emojis, they will quickly find that the Emoj icons and Smilies are vital to communication in text based chat and they won't be able to understand each other and will fall victim to endless flame wars.

ALL HAIL OUR SUPERSIZE EMOJI OVERLORDS!
Big Feckin Face.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
wouldnt it be neutral though? like if science and anti-science went at it..... it would devolve into nothing. lol matter and anti-matter
I'd say that depends - if I, for instance, created 200 Science but you made 300 Anti-Science you'd obviously win, assuming they were both the same grade - if they wern't and I made Grade B (based on the Classification VII-J benchmarking structure) Science but you made 40% purity (based on the Gergson's New-Classical Scale) Anti-Science, things may be a little more closely run.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'd say that depends - if I, for instance, created 200 Science but you made 300 Anti-Science you'd obviously win, assuming they were both the same grade - if they wern't and I made Grade B (based on the Classification VII-J benchmarking structure) Science but you made 40% purity (based on the Gergson's New-Classical Scale) Anti-Science, things may be a little more closely run.
you lost me at 200 lol

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Your math is off, anti-science is much more common which makes science the much more valuable commodity.
200 Science hence is like 4000 Anti-Science. And that is if they are of the same grade!

Forgot your password?