RSI Handle
WingCMDR_Diesel

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I visited HMS Belfast about 10 years ago. It is in a fantastic location opposite the Tower and next to the Bridge. I am sure you can google it but from memory its guns had a 21 mile range. (could not help myself looks like it is 10 miles not 21)
Why Do The Guns Of HMS Belfast Point At A Motorway Service Station? | Londonist
Even so how the heck did they hit another ship at that kind if range?

RedBaron1010

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jun 27, 2019
RSI Handle
WingCMDR_Diesel
I was wrong she is going to a dry dock just southwest of the Seawolf Park to have her bottom hull replaced and her guns are being reinstalled then fully restored. She will be there for 2 years then her new home will be someplace either in Galveston or possibly Corpus Christi by the Lexington. They said in order to replace the aging wooden deck it would cost 3 million.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Oh ok...thought it was the band Texas. Remember that song "I don't want a lover"?
I remember it playing at a nightclub when I was younger, and being carried out by security for being underaged..

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I visited HMS Belfast about 10 years ago. It is in a fantastic location opposite the Tower and next to the Bridge. I am sure you can google it but from memory its guns had a 21 mile range. (could not help myself looks like it is 10 miles not 21)
Why Do The Guns Of HMS Belfast Point At A Motorway Service Station? | Londonist
Even so how the heck did they hit another ship at that kind if range?
Did you know standing at sea level on the shore, due to the curvature of the earth the Horizon line for an average hight person is only about 3 miles away? for the horizon to be 10 miles away, so the target ship would be sat on the horizon, you'd have to be 67ft up.

Here's a horizon calculator to see how far away the horizon is for you: http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Very cool!

I visited USS New Jersey and USS Iowa awhile back. Very cool that they’re open as museum ships.

Wanted to visit HMS Belfast when I was London as well but they were closed that day. 😕

Love old warships!
Years ago, I was still a kid, I saw a demo of the Iowa making a reef out of an old freighter. I remember it fired a single gun and you could see the round's wake in the air, then while it was still in transit everything fired. Amazing.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Years ago, I was still a kid, I saw a demo of the Iowa making a reef out of an old freighter. I remember it fired a single gun and you could see the round's wake in the air, then while it was still in transit everything fired. Amazing.
The full broadsides from the Iowa-class battleships would knock it back in the water about 100 yards.

The projectiles were about a ton, back in the days of the VW Beetle, they used to say they were firing Volkswagens about 20 miles.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The full broadsides from the Iowa-class battleships would knock it back in the water about 100 yards.

The projectiles were about a ton, back in the days of the VW Beetle, they used to say they were firing Volkswagens about 20 miles.
I remember the fire and smoke, then the noise more than anything else.

Reactions: Aramsolari

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Did you know standing at sea level on the shore, due to the curvature of the earth the Horizon line for an average hight person is only about 3 miles away? for the horizon to be 10 miles away, so the target ship would be sat on the horizon, you'd have to be 67ft up.

Here's a horizon calculator to see how far away the horizon is for you: http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
I am not claiming that the earth is flat with this one. I have spent a lot of time at sea including crossing the Atlantic and Pacific. One of the claims to prove that the Earth is round, is that when a ship comes into view you see the masts first then the rest of it as you get closer. Even with binoculars I have never seen this I either see all of it of none of it. I have seen photos of it on the interweb.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I am not claiming that the earth is flat with this one. I have spent a lot of time at sea including crossing the Atlantic and Pacific. One of the claims to prove that the Earth is round, is that when a ship comes into view you see the masts first then the rest of it as you get closer. Even with binoculars I have never seen this I either see all of it of none of it. I have seen photos of it on the interweb.
I bet we have a TESTie who can explain that :)

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Experience only. Other than in doldrums, I've only ever seen the effect with sailing ships, if the sails are up. They're huge compared to the mast which you'd have a hard time spotting. If you're close to the equator, you can sometimes see the top of tankers and container ships, but they usually look like colored smudges on the horizon. You can tell when you're close because you can see the hull, but that usually just appears suddenly, it's just that it appears after you see the smudges.

... it's easier to see in an airplane with no or light cloud cover, at between 1000 meters and say 5000 meters. Higher, the ground turns into a smudge. Then passing over city lights will do it.

I flew from Toronto Ontario in Canada, to Moscow a few times. By the time we got over Scotland, you could see the effect over Europe. But it looked literally like a slowly rolling marble. The flight was over 10,000 meters altitude.

Forgot your password?