The 49ers

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
So I finally decided to cash in a small portion of the airline program points I've been earning and hording over X (actually XXX) years of travel for business. But there was one problem. What to do with them during a time when voluntary air travel is fairly taboo? Fortunately, my favorite airline had an answer: A Samsung 49-inch gaming monitor! OMG! Suddenly I actually do feel rewarded for all of that air travel!

Any other '49ers' out there with best practices or tips for use of such a broad monitor? Its actually fairly immersive for gaming (peripheral vision is a thing) and also great for productivity for apps requiring wide data fields. Still getting used to it though. But wow! Probably not something I would have purchased stand alone without air miles, but glad I was able to acquire it in that way.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So I finally decided to cash in a small portion of the airline program points I've been earning and hording over X (actually XXX) years of travel for business. But there was one problem. What to do with them during a time when voluntary air travel is fairly taboo? Fortunately, my favorite airline had an answer: A Samsung 49-inch gaming monitor! OMG! Suddenly I actually do feel rewarded for all of that air travel!

Any other '49ers' out there with best practices or tips for use of such a broad monitor? Its actually fairly immersive for gaming (peripheral vision is a thing) and also great for productivity for apps requiring wide data fields. Still getting used to it though. But wow! Probably not something I would have purchased stand alone without air miles, but glad I was able to acquire it in that way.
I'm not so blessed, so my tip is to simply enjoy every way possible & congrats.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My best advice is to watch out for whiplash if the monitor is too close. Just kidding, that was a pretty good idea. I can't use anything much bigger than 24" myself because of a disability but I'm finding that a 27 inch monitor might work for me now. It's tiring to scan the monitor if it's larger but I've been working on it.

And @Talonsbane, I have faith that you will find a way.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I remember playing the original star trek game on the original PET computer, with a truly tiny screen. So I'm about the right age to be both addicted to new tech while still often blown away by its advancements like this (though I've noticed I now take my generic workplace laptop bricks for granted). Now if only I can hold off for a new PC build until Star Citizen launches!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I used 49" for years together with TrackIR the immersion is very real in flight sims, Race sims etc.. and it sure is immersive in SC. 😋

Sadly that 49"er broke last year and for the moment I'm down to a 28"er.. and even tho it's a 4K it's not realy cut it to give same immersion as the 49"er did.

But I have my eye on a new 49"er so I hopefully soon be lost in immersion again ha ha. :like: :o7:

So if you don't use TrackIR already or some kind of head-tracking, I strongly recommend to get that it'll blow your mind together with a 49"er.

For best immersion I noticed together with TrackIR seated about 30-35" from the screen measured from your forehead make perfect distance to optimal immersion and it's amazing.

And it's far away enough from screen to not tire the eyes during long play sessions, as one tend to lean forward closer to screen when one get tired and that's the cue to take a break.

To avoid doing that leaning forward closer to screen thing, I always take short breaks to step away from screen, like getting a cup a coffee, water, beer..etc. or look out the window for a minute ha ha..

Specially when I play for long periods of times which is always, so I made that a habit to take short breaks, they don't have to be long even a lean back and look in the ceiling break is fine.

But do them your eyes will thank you for it.

CHEERS! 🍻

Forgot your password?