The Adventures of a Noob

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
For the past few nights I've dabbled with SC outside of Arena and Star Marines. I decided to do this without reading anything or looking at any beginner tips to make it more interesting and it's certainly been interesting.

So here's a few high lights.

After managing to take off and flying around like a noob for quite some time and getting the hang of it I noticed my landing gear was still down. So like any good gamer I pushed a bunch of buttons until they finally went up. So "c" raises and lowers gear check and noted to memory.

Then of course I notice these journal messages going through the screen and happen to notice that some of the points on the hub seem similar. So I point the ship in the general direction of one and push the throttle all the way down. I'm eco friendly so who needs boost right? Seems like it's a long way off I better make a coffee. Come back wow still not there; better go do something productive. 30 mins later still not there and it's at this point I notice the distance counting down "slowly". So I discover the quantum drive "clearly not eco friendly". Seems on my gamepad it's Y to activate it. So I give the old Y a push and suddenly the seat turns around and first thought we are going to go fast now, but nope I get out of the seat. Thinking now this is an odd position to be in during quantum drive. Suddenly I find myself opening the side door; oh this can't be good. Yep I step outside, but it can't be bad I'm in space moving at the same velocity as my ship so I'll just be floating next to it, but nope I apparently have come to a miraculous stop and my ship flies off. Bye Bye RSI Aurora. So I float for a bit in space having a look around and think I won't be the first or last noob to do this. Hence why there is a rescue division... At least I assume why for people like me.

So yeah... I quit to menu and get a new ship. Starting again I discovered the mobius and how to track missions. Now I'm pure pro off we go again to fly. This time I manage to get the quantum drive activated and my ship pointed at my actual tracked mission. I'm going to rake in those UEC credits now!!! Of course it won't be that simple. As my missions sends me to check out a radio beacon and a NPC prompty shows up and well long story short my Aurora got blown to bits. So I suppose I'll need to spend a bit more time trying to figure out how to fight with my ship now and learning what my HUD is telling me.

I have to say I really enjoyed this experience and not being spoon fed everything like most games do now. Am I alone in my stupidity?

I play in EU time zone and if anyone wants to adventure together and learn together I'd be happy to jump onto discord and see what happens. I don't even know if getting into the same area of space together is even possible. I should probably go to flight school as well.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I have to say I really enjoyed this experience and not being spoon fed everything like most games do now. Am I alone in my stupidity?
Most of us learned this way. Ha. Ha.

As for flight school --- you might want to check this out.....
Please kindly fill your attendances for COmbat Flight Training this comming weekend: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdgmD7bg2G0jHbGdsv1MOy2Urn5GoQJmlpKcSCiN_Qoe2a-XA/viewform?usp=sf_link

I am in the UK & have added you in my Contacts list.
If all members add each other in Contacts, then you can form a Party and you all can join in the same Instance.
This will be explained to you during Training nights..... Fridays to Sundays..
You will find many members in the EU time zone & you need only ask in the TEST Discord Server.

When I get some time I will try to join you.
Great post.

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
Most of us learned this way. Ha. Ha.

As for flight school --- you might want to check this out.....
Please kindly fill your attendances for COmbat Flight Training this comming weekend: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdgmD7bg2G0jHbGdsv1MOy2Urn5GoQJmlpKcSCiN_Qoe2a-XA/viewform?usp=sf_link
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdgmD7bg2G0jHbGdsv1MOy2Urn5GoQJmlpKcSCiN_Qoe2a-XA/viewform?usp=sf_link
I am in the UK & have added you in my Contacts list.
If all members add each other in Contacts, then you can form a Party and you all can join in the same Instance.
This will be explained to you during Training nights..... Fridays to Sundays..
You will find many members in the EU time zone & you need only ask in the TEST Discord Server.

When I get some time I will try to join you.
Great post.
All signed up and I'll add you as well.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
I struggled at first figuring things out too. Crashed lots. Couldn't land or fly or fight or figure out buttons. I printed the key layout & that helped. I practiced quick landing & takeoff in AC free flight. Practiced fighting in AC and PU, but more in AC until I upgraded my machine because of the frame rate. Anyway I loved every minute of it. Glad you are enjoying yourself also :)

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
View attachment 7488
I borrowed the Star Citizen keymap from Zero Kelvin and erased all not necessary or not working keybindings, maybe this will help to start with
That's super helpful. I know I hit C and the landing gear message went away. But you are surely right N should be the magic key. Are there anymore of these layout images I'll surely be printing this and sticking it to my wall now.

What does the coupling button do anyhow?

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
That's super helpful. I know I hit C and the landing gear message went away. But you are surely right N should be the magic key. Are there anymore of these layout images I'll surely be printing this and sticking it to my wall now.

What does the coupling button do anyhow?
Decoupled mode will allow you to keep moving in the direction you are, but you can turn your ship around (i.e. if someone is chasing you, fly into the void, decouple and turn around to shoot at them while still moving away, don't do this btw, as you will have a straight trajectory which is easy to hit ;P)

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
But I don't know how to fly... or fight... and somehow I ended up teaching others... lmao
You don't teach them to fly or fight, you teach them to fight together, communicate efficient, everybody knows what is expected from him, no confusion (almost), combined force.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Is it possible do these radio comm link missions with an aurora? I am literally getting melted by these npcs.
sure, why not, you are not the first Aurora pilot joining. It would be advisable if you learned basic flight, take off, land, jump, throttle, targeting friendlies and hostiles and EVA.

cerated

Captain
Sep 10, 2017
RSI Handle
cerated
sure, why not, you are not the first Aurora pilot joining. It would be advisable if you learned basic flight, take off, land, jump, throttle, targeting friendlies and hostiles and EVA.
All signed up on Sunday.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Well I have to say the OP got further than me on my first time, as I spent a good 10 min running around on the pads looking at the floor waiting for the "summon ship" text to show up ._. but with the help of some good TEST members I am now crashing flying around like a clueless newcomer, doing mission and getting shot in the face because other new players think I'm an npc...

Forgot your password?