The female body and tattoo system is coming along nicely

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
If I'm not mistaken, didn't CIG state at some point that they would allow Players to add content to the game like add-ons after the game goes live?
Afaik they somehow want to allow modding. This goes along with private Servers (big) but they don't want to give away their Server tech.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So SQ42 is probably very likely to be modable
private servers might be very limited to user count and/or maybe to one solar system and/or whatsoever you will want to interprete into that.

sources:
some random post about this topic
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=47&qid=10
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=67&qid=7
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=12&qid=3
http://scqa.info/?show=10FTC&episode=66&qid=9

probably more

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
So SQ42 is probably very likely to be modable
private servers might be very limited to user count and/or maybe to one solar system and/or whatsoever you will want to interprete into that.
Having talked to CR about his original intent RE private servers, I don't think he wants to put any restrictions on them.

Practically speaking though ordinary players have little to no ability to run/configure/manage large server farms which would be necessary to support a large scale deployment capable of hosting many simultaneous players.

That, then, will be the real limiting factor - the hardware we have available to run the servers. Not the server software itself.

It's highly likely that running large scale deployments will only be possible for CIG's professional ops team.

Granted this could have changed since the server software has evolved so much over the past few years.

It may no longer be possible to run a standalone server at all. Unknown.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Actually, I was thinking more in terms of add-ons such as in the case of World of Warcraft where it would only be applied to the UI of the individual player on their own personal system.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Having talked to CR about his original intent RE private servers, I don't think he wants to put any restrictions on them.

Practically speaking though ordinary players have little to no ability to run/configure/manage large server farms which would be necessary to support a large scale deployment capable of hosting many simultaneous players.

That, then, will be the real limiting factor - the hardware we have available to run the servers. Not the server software itself.

It's highly likely that running large scale deployments will only be possible for CIG's professional ops team.

Granted this could have changed since the server software has evolved so much over the past few years.

You do realize that with Amazon owning and supporting Lumberjack with in their aws it should be relativity easy for them to support private Star Citizen servers that can scale. Something similar to what Dice did with their battlefield with their allowing private servers.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
You do realize that with Amazon owning and supporting Lumberjack with in their aws it should be relativity easy for them to support private Star Citizen servers that can scale. Something similar to what Dice did with their battlefield with their allowing private servers.
We're getting pretty off topic here but yes I understand it's easy for Amazon to scale. That doesn't mean it's easy (or in their interest) for CIG to spend a lot of time and money making that easy for end-users to actually do.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Lets derail this a little bit more, like every other good testie would do.

Thats what i somehow meant when i said they don't want to give away their server tech. So they don't limit the game but running SC without a big Server farm for a small group of people would be too much effort. So they might limit it somehow because it probably won't make sense.

I don't know much about server tech and so on. I can't find the post on spectrum about this but a dev has stated that they "don't want to give the server tech away so they are still thinking about this topic)

Yes but probably very expensive

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of add-ons such as in the case of World of Warcraft where it would only be applied to the UI of the individual player on their own personal system.
what i also missed to mention is: I don't think they will allow "everyone" to mod "the real Star Citizen". There might be some kind of costum skins for large orgs like us. Allowing modding of the UI etc. would imho be the very first step to allow cheating, botting and stuff like that. You would loose a big tool to put your hands on those kind of people

Forgot your password?