The High Republic

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I believe that this will only be a true success in the scale of the original trilogy IF they choose to discard their recent "politically correct" / SJW / identity politics pandering & get back to what truly made Star Wars great in the beginning, focusing of creating great new characters with their own unique backgrounds & personalities, to help tell epic stories that are driven by amazing plots as well as incredible character developments. IF Disney & Lucas Films will return to the mindset of the Star Wars universe when George Lucas was initially dreaming it up, then I'll be fully supporting this. If they stay on the path they have allowed to be taken since George sold his child & stepped away, then this is just as dead & non-canon to me as these latest several films since Episode 3.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Well, I've caught a few vids about this subject & came across this.

Until this comes out & is proven to be either way, I'm still done with Star Wars other than giving The Mandalorian a try.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Well, I've caught a few vids about this subject & came across this.

Until this comes out & is proven to be either way, I'm still done with Star Wars other than giving The Mandalorian a try.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with what these guys keep referring to as "normal". Personally I'm not against increasing diversity, its probably a good thing if you want to increase your target audience. But unfortunately hollywood seems to get it wrong more often than they get it right. Off the top of my head I can think of the movie Annihilation with natalie portman that I enjoyed, they made the central characters an entirely female team and did it in a way that was organic. Regardless of how you felt about the trilogy overall, having a female protagonist for episodes VII-IX wasn't a big deal and probably opened up the relatability to a wider audience. Then you have things like that one girl power scene in avenger's endgame that just came across as forced, or the current batwoman and black lightning tv shows where they seem to have sacrificed telling a decent superhero story for pushing a message (admittedly this observation is made having only been able to force myself through a half dozen of each of those series). Diversity when done right is a good thing, including as many people as possible so they can relate to the story is wonderful, but I fear that most efforts are probably going to be cringeworthy for the near future until it is natural enough that it doesn't have to be the focal point in the story.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So the issue is the creators think the Star Wars universe should be about more than stories about white dudes?

My favorite SW character after Vader is a blue guy with red glowing eyes (and a redhead gal ofc lol) Yeah, that's not the issue.

No, the issue is they shoehorn in whatever "diverse" character is the flavor of the week without giving that person a proper story arc, personality, and anything likeable mostly, and on top of that, ignoring the natural diversity that comes from this being a sci-fi universe with millions of different types of aliens.
By doing this they actually do a disservice to "diversity" by making ppl hate that actor, even though it's not the actors fault they got a shit script to work with.

As the most recent example that comes to mind: Finn. He was pretty cool, could have had a very interesting storyline with real depth, with him being a stormtrooper. He could have had some relationships with Poe if they really wanted to go for diversity, it could have been fine if done right.
But they did nothing with him. He stumbled through the first one, then was shouted at, dragged around, robbed of a heroic death, then sexually assaulted in the second one. I haven't seen the last one but I heard they didn't do nothing worthy with him in that either. Still, to me he was the most interesting and relatable character in the sequels, because he at least had a unique background, had flaws, had character traits... Also the actor is a true SW nerd as far as I know, and it shows in his acting. Not necessary, but it helps if the actors know and like the source material. Anyways, I digress..

I'm pretty sure 99% who cares about star wars actually doesn't give a crap about what race, gender or color the protagonist is as long as they are having fun and get immersed in the story and action of the movie/comic/book.

Also, SW used to be a sci-fi universe thats pretty well removed from our everyday reality. I don't want to be preached at by some LA snob white chick with blue hair and victim syndrome when I'm trying to enjoy a movie that is supposed to be a kids fairy tail dressed up in a sci-fi costume. If I would want some of that blue-hair's abuse, I'd go on Twitter...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I don't know if I necessarily agree with what these guys keep referring to as "normal". Personally I'm not against increasing diversity, its probably a good thing if you want to increase your target audience. But unfortunately hollywood seems to get it wrong more often than they get it right. Off the top of my head I can think of the movie Annihilation with natalie portman that I enjoyed, they made the central characters an entirely female team and did it in a way that was organic. Regardless of how you felt about the trilogy overall, having a female protagonist for episodes VII-IX wasn't a big deal and probably opened up the relatability to a wider audience. Then you have things like that one girl power scene in avenger's endgame that just came across as forced, or the current batwoman and black lightning tv shows where they seem to have sacrificed telling a decent superhero story for pushing a message (admittedly this observation is made having only been able to force myself through a half dozen of each of those series). Diversity when done right is a good thing, including as many people as possible so they can relate to the story is wonderful, but I fear that most efforts are probably going to be cringeworthy for the near future until it is natural enough that it doesn't have to be the focal point in the story.
I understand your point. I have nothing against having diversity at all. I have an issue where the "creators" of it dare to force it down the audience's throat at every possible opportunity. There was plenty of diversity within the original SW trilogy that came seemingly naturally & with great characters that had unique depth to them. The latest trilogy was all pro female at the expense of cucking the males around them. Rei is a Mary Sue, I don't give a damn what they ended up explaining that to be from because I call BS. If they'd started off with Rei being a lot like Luke in the begging where he had the ability, but would make mistake after mistake while learning to use it, that would've been far more convincing & thus believable that she could become as strong as she was allowed to be from the start.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Not going to lie, this video doesn't excite. Disney has a nearly unlimited resource of existing material that would be perfect for the big screen, why create something during a time frame that isn't really known or cared about. Star Wars lost it spark, it's been replaced by other universes, and Disney needs to find a way to bring the magic back. This isn't it.

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
Disney keeps desecrating the corps of Star Wars. There is a grade totally of 3 people that I trust to know what Star Wars is. 1: Our cowboy-hatted savor, Dave. 2: The Man that started the EU, Timothy Zahn. 3: Happy himself, John. These are the ONLY people who have shown ANY reverence and understanding of Star Wars. With all the craziness around the making of Rogue One I think it was good just out of dumb luck (I mean you make 5 movies chances are one of them would be at least ok). The whiteboard shows that the people in the room have NO clue.

1: Not pro-war: so you want Star Wars without the War? what does this mean? did everyone ever need to be told this? at what point did anyone think the good guys wanted to fight?
2: Actual endings: so you set this up to go on and on, and then put on a board you want ending? like, hear to the way Disney talks about how much stuff they want to make not buying it.
3: Feelings/Relatable Characters: if you, a pro writer HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS.... we have an issue.... and the fact you put it under "fiction" makes me even more worried.
4: No Single Main Character. THE FIRST THRAWN BOOK is the BEST SW book in this new canon. AND IT'S ALL ABOUT THRAWN!! even when from the perspective of eli vanto It's about his observations of Thrawn.
5: Dinosaurs: anyone remembers ANY dinos in SW? no? space monsters yes. I hope that is what they meant but, not giving me confidence in writing dinosaurs.
6: Sith Empire: so you're telling me the Sith Empire was around 200 years of Episode 1? hmmmm, no.
7: Diversity/Representation/diversity: ok the big one. first I find it funny that it was so important they have it twice! Look nothing wrong with any of that, however, the issue is that when I see a character that has been made to feel a hole like this they are one dimensional. they're whatever characteristic is all the depth that is given them. And that is what is worrying, that we will get a bunch of characters that feel the diversity hole but that is all. Like, remember the girls that kiss in the last SW movie? what were their names? what else do you remember about them? their only reason for existing is to be gay. How is that "Relatable characters" or "Authentic"? Now go watch Critical Role Campain 2. Two of the main party are gay! but guess what! they are SOOOOO much more, they FEEL real and not just "there" check the box. So what I see is people doing this wrong. they say oh I got to have some x characters so they make some otherwise generic people and that use them to feel the x diversity slots that need feeling. What should be done is to build a character and find that diversity in them.

I have no faith in Disney or Lucas under its current tyrannical regime to produce anything Star Wars unless lead by Dave, Zahn, or John (in that order).

TLDR: unless our cowboy-hatted savor gives his blessing (Or Timothy Zahn at least) I have no faith in them.

My favorite SW character after Vader is a blue guy with red glowing eyes (and a redhead gal ofc lol) Yeah, that's not the issue.
Is it bad that I know EXACTLY who you are talking about here?
what is if said I always liked Silver Lightsaber Fighter Ace?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Concur

No, the issue is they shoehorn in whatever "diverse" character is the flavor of the week without giving that person a proper story arc, personality, and anything likeable mostly, and on top of that, ignoring the natural diversity that comes from this being a sci-fi universe with millions of different types of aliens.
By doing this they actually do a disservice to "diversity" by making ppl hate that actor, even though it's not the actors fault they got a shit script to work with.

As the most recent example that comes to mind: Finn. He was pretty cool, could have had a very interesting storyline with real depth, with him being a stormtrooper. He could have had some relationships with Poe if they really wanted to go for diversity, it could have been fine if done right.
But they did nothing with him. He stumbled through the first one, then was shouted at, dragged around, robbed of a heroic death, then sexually assaulted in the second one. I haven't seen the last one but I heard they didn't do nothing worthy with him in that either. Still, to me he was the most interesting and relatable character in the sequels, because he at least had a unique background, had flaws, had character traits... Also the actor is a true SW nerd as far as I know, and it shows in his acting. Not necessary, but it helps if the actors know and like the source material. Anyways, I digress..

I'm pretty sure 99% who cares about star wars actually doesn't give a crap about what race, gender or color the protagonist is as long as they are having fun and get immersed in the story and action of the movie/comic/book.

Also, SW used to be a sci-fi universe thats pretty well removed from our everyday reality. I don't want to be preached at by some LA snob white chick with blue hair and victim syndrome when I'm trying to enjoy a movie that is supposed to be a kids fairy tail dressed up in a sci-fi costume. If I would want some of that blue-hair's abuse, I'd go on Twitter...
Concur
Rei is a Mary Sue, I don't give a damn what they ended up explaining that to be from because I call BS
I don't agree that Rey is a Mary Sue.
All I need is a good Admiral Thrawn movie!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gcEVBd6i8
Fuck yes!!
Disney keeps desecrating the corps of Star Wars. There is a grade totally of 3 people that I trust to know what Star Wars is. 1: Our cowboy-hatted savor, Dave. 2: The Man that started the EU, Timothy Zahn. 3: Happy himself, John. These are the ONLY people who have shown ANY reverence and understanding of Star Wars. With all the craziness around the making of Rogue One I think it was good just out of dumb luck (I mean you make 5 movies chances are one of them would be at least ok). The whiteboard shows that the people in the room have NO clue.

1: Not pro-war: so you want Star Wars without the War? what does this mean? did everyone ever need to be told this? at what point did anyone think the good guys wanted to fight?
2: Actual endings: so you set this up to go on and on, and then put on a board you want ending? like, hear to the way Disney talks about how much stuff they want to make not buying it.
3: Feelings/Relatable Characters: if you, a pro writer HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS.... we have an issue.... and the fact you put it under "fiction" makes me even more worried.
4: No Single Main Character. THE FIRST THRAWN BOOK is the BEST SW book in this new canon. AND IT'S ALL ABOUT THRAWN!! even when from the perspective of eli vanto It's about his observations of Thrawn.
5: Dinosaurs: anyone remembers ANY dinos in SW? no? space monsters yes. I hope that is what they meant but, not giving me confidence in writing dinosaurs.
6: Sith Empire: so you're telling me the Sith Empire was around 200 years of Episode 1? hmmmm, no.
7: Diversity/Representation/diversity: ok the big one. first I find it funny that it was so important they have it twice! Look nothing wrong with any of that, however, the issue is that when I see a character that has been made to feel a hole like this they are one dimensional. they're whatever characteristic is all the depth that is given them. And that is what is worrying, that we will get a bunch of characters that feel the diversity hole but that is all. Like, remember the girls that kiss in the last SW movie? what were their names? what else do you remember about them? their only reason for existing is to be gay. How is that "Relatable characters" or "Authentic"? Now go watch Critical Role Campain 2. Two of the main party are gay! but guess what! they are SOOOOO much more, they FEEL real and not just "there" check the box. So what I see is people doing this wrong. they say oh I got to have some x characters so they make some otherwise generic people and that use them to feel the x diversity slots that need feeling. What should be done is to build a character and find that diversity in them.

I have no faith in Disney or Lucas under its current tyrannical regime to produce anything Star Wars unless lead by Dave, Zahn, or John (in that order).

TLDR: unless our cowboy-hatted savor gives his blessing (Or Timothy Zahn at least) I have no faith in them.

Is it bad that I know EXACTLY who you are talking about here?
what is if said I always liked Silver Lightsaber Fighter Ace?
Well said @sum1. While I enjoyed the new movies, I agree that something has been missed/lost/forgotten.

Last edited:

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
I don't agree that Rey is a Mary Sue.
The best argument I have seen for Rey being a Mary Sue. I think she is, but even if you don't agree with me I find her character flat and unlikeable so even if I conceded her being a Mary Sue I still this she (and all the episodes 7-9) and her friend are all poorly executed on one level or more.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You must hate James Bond, Rambo, and Spongebob.
Not James Bond & Rambo because clearly both had extensive training & experiences before the movies began. SpongeBob?

If they were going to do anything, they should have gone way back and just embraced the old republic games and built up a new shared universe with that as a starting point
If I had any say, I'd suggest that they go ALL the way back to show where & how the Jedi as well as the Sith began with a series of their own starting with whichever came 1st about 1000+ years before the Skywalker saga began.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about.

I stopped following after Phantom Menace.

I didn't especially like Jar Jar, but I didn't lothe him either. If there is one thing I can relate to, it's hapless idiocy and well intentioned efforts that are ultimately in vain as they are washed away by a tsunami of utter, utter incompetence.

Because I didn't think Binks was really all that bad, the worlds reaction to him took me by surprise. I respect that opinion and some of the best gags in Spaced come from that, but yeah that all put me off the rest of the franchise I have only seen 1, 4, 5, 6, 8 and the entire series of Droids which was great.

Oh, that and the Jar Jar Binks tongue pop. That stuff is gross, yo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtatVM0jGzA

Sometimes I think Jar Jar ruined Star Wars for me... sometimes I think he saved me from it.

Forgot your password?