The inevitable evolution of my dual stick setup

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
As I have written before, I absolutely love the dual joystick setup. I am currently running two T16000 sticks and they work flawlessly. That being said, there are better joysticks out there. Namely one, the Warthog. I have had the opportunity to use one before and I really liked it. It is much more comfortable and has far more keybind potential.

The problem was, it is only right hand. This means that for now I am "stuck" with my T16000s. I don't generally consider myself as having OCD, but I find the idea of running two separate styles of joystick to be... offensive. This prompted my search for a left hand Warthog. I ended up all over the place looking for one. As it turns out, the solution was right under my nose. http://www.dualsticks.com/

Now I am sure those of you that have looked, have ended up at the same site. It sounds good, but they have been in development for quite a while. Honestly, if you have found the threads, it looks a bit like an abandoned project. I ended up contacting the people involved and found, happily, that it is still in full swing. So, I decided to share a few things that came up in the conversation.
  • They are within a month or two of starting production. Once they do, they have a queue and will be contacting customers in turn.
  • Their current cost for a DIY "kit" is $125-$150 plus shipping. The cost of a full conversion should fall in the $200 range, will require a donor warthog, and you pay shipping both ways.
  • They are looking into additional products:
  1. Aluminum left-hand warthog grips (instead of the resin they are currently planning)
  2. Alternate precision gimbals
  3. Z twist mechanism for the Warthog (left and right specific)
  4. Replica locking collars
  5. "Mutant T16000/Warthog hybrids"

So, I need to start keeping an eye out for Warthog sales. It looks like I will need two of them in a couple months or so...

Also, he said the best place for updates is a specific thread on the RSI forums. The thread is HERE. I haven't read the whole 18 pages, but apparently there is quite a bit of information about their progress, other products, as well as images in the thread.

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Personally, I'd like to see if he'd come off a file to mill one out of aluminum; but with that said; I think if they still plan on doing the deluxe controller, that would be the one I would go with. Especially if that is a touchscreen for the systems on the stick.

Reactions: marcsand2

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I already have a Saitek fly5. It really can't be compared with the smooth movement of the Warthog around the deadzone. Not to mention the thumb button which I broke off :D
The deadzone is what got me on to thrustmaster to begin with. I did some work to my older X52, but in the end, it was still like driving an old pickup truck with loose steering. Without that precision, it becomes a game of overcorrection. I really cannot overstate the difference between the Hall Effect sensor system that Thrustmaster uses, and everyone else. It makes such a huge difference.

For the Warthog mods though, I am mainly excited about the Z-twist mod. I am going to have a huge issue breaking myself away from having the roll on my right hand Z-twist. If he can give the warthog that twist, I won't need to adjust.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The deadzone is what got me on to thrustmaster to begin with. I did some work to my older X52, but in the end, it was still like driving an old pickup truck with loose steering. Without that precision, it becomes a game of overcorrection. I really cannot overstate the difference between the Hall Effect sensor system that Thrustmaster uses, and everyone else. It makes such a huge difference.

For the Warthog mods though, I am mainly excited about the Z-twist mod. I am going to have a huge issue breaking myself away from having the roll on my right hand Z-twist. If he can give the warthog that twist, I won't need to adjust.
I also missed the twist on the Warthog, but without twist it is even more precise.

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I also missed the twist on the Warthog, but without twist it is even more precise.
Oh, I didn't think about that. Good point. I suppose I will just have to use one of the 50 thumbsticks for it. I guess if I was able to get past having roll on the Y axis, I will be able to make this swap without too much trouble.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Oh, I didn't think about that. Good point. I suppose I will just have to use one of the 50 thumbsticks for it. I guess if I was able to get past having roll on the Y axis, I will be able to make this swap without too much trouble.
I used roll allot on the (broken) flightstick so I ordered rudder pedals. 2 months later the rudder pedals arrived, but by that time I even didn't missed roll anymore :D

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
This guy made a video about this very conversion kit. He has lots of videos talking about dual stick and SC in general, you might find it interesting
That was actually one of the stages I found myself at on the road to my destination. I actually really appreciate the noobifier. His "meat and potatoes" approach is refreshing. He helped me point in the direction of Okona and provided a quality control opinion that is prerequisite to me sending some random solicitous email.

When it comes down to the email exchange though, I cannot recommend this guy enough. He has done a ton of research and development. He knows what we need and is preparing himself to provide the requirements.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Their current cost for a DIY "kit" is $125-$150 plus shipping. The cost of a full conversion should fall in the $200 range, will require a donor warthog, and you pay shipping both ways.
Donor Warthog ordered, price drop from €199 to €149.

They are looking into additional products:
  1. Aluminum left-hand warthog grips (instead of the resin they are currently planning)
Now waiting for the aluminium option.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
It is the only flightstick option. The Flightstick - throttle combo was €299 while on sale, normal price €329. I already bought that a few months ago. The Flightstick-only was yesterday around noon €149 and already sold.
Damn, that's almost half price from what I can find. ~$170 instead of the usual $300. Congratulations. I'm doing the same thing though, waiting for a sale to pop up. I've been in no big hurry since the left hand grips aren't out yet. Besides, I have been holding off on making any SC related purchases until after the Citizencon and Anniversary sales have happened. There are still a couple ships I want to grab before I am done like the BMM and the Herald, maybe a Hull D or E if it strikes me and they are available. I think that will round out my fleet nicely enough.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I'm still busy to complete my perfect control setup.... only problem is, there is no perfect control setup for everything. When flying PU, I use the HOTAS, when doing pure dogfight, I prefer HOSAS, when EVA of foot is involved, I prefer G13. All control must be bolted to my chair because I control with force, but my chair - desk combo isn't good enough to fix all controls. Maybe now it is the right time to start building a decent cockpit :D
I ordered my second Warthog, so now it is time for a good car sport seat :cool:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I actually use a razer orbweaver and naga for my fps action. Plus, I have a CM Storm Quickfire TK green so I can fit a keyboard in between the two razer peripherals. I tried locking my J-sticks down, but with the need to swap to FPS I needed to be able to move the sticks quickly out of the way. So I just learned to be "gentle". Which, of course, means that I constantly pick up my joysticks to reset their position on my desk...

Forgot your password?