The Raven Saga - History in first post.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Same as title.

Also how is the Optane SSD? You know, for science. But mainly how is the Raven?

History:

1. Sunder asks how the Optane SSD is....and how the Raven is.
2. Sunder waits to make sure he really wants the drive.
3. Sees sale on Newegg ending soon, buys SSD on March 15th.
4. SSD ships on March 15th. Will deliver Tuesday march 20.
5. Sunder March 19th on a lark goes looking for info about said Optane SSD. Finds Promotion details. Gets nervous when promotion was only for the first run of Optans and ended Jan 31 or while supplies last. Sunder wonders if Newegg shipped a non-SC edition Optane.
6. More nervous Sunder trades his LTI Khartu Al for a Raven code the morning the drive will arrive.
7. Drive arrives and is SC Edition Optane with Raven code. FML
8. Sunder has a Raven code he doesn't know what to do with.

March 22:
9. Put the Optane in, Windows sees it.
10. Copied SC over. SC loads a bit faster. Hurray!

Last edited:

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
As for the Optane, it's fast but it's not light speeds. If you have something like the Samsung Evo 960, you get similar results. The specialty of the Optane is that it can handle many more calls at the sime time compared to the Evo 960, but SC really doesn't make enough calls right now to really slow down the Evo 960.... so it's not entirely worth the extra money.

I can say that the Optane 900p is faster than my old OCZ Vertex 3s, but they are 5 year old SSDs. I think this is the video you want to watch.

If it's just for your gaming, then no. It's not worth it. If you do a bunch of RAM intense projects where you need a RAM Disk, then yeah.

As for the Raven.... meh. I'm not a fan. I'm a tank :D

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
As for the Optane, it's fast but it's not light speeds. If you have something like the Samsung Evo 960, you get similar results. The specialty of the Optane is that it can handle many more calls at the sime time compared to the Evo 960, but SC really doesn't make enough calls right now to really slow down the Evo 960.... so it's not entirely worth the extra money.

I can say that the Optane 900p is faster than my old OCZ Vertex 3s, but they are 5 year old SSDs. I think this is the video you want to watch.

If it's just for your gaming, then no. It's not worth it. If you do a bunch of RAM intense projects where you need a RAM Disk, then yeah.

As for the Raven.... meh. I'm not a fan. I'm a tank :smile:
Thank you! My SSD is an older Samsung 850 Pro. Does a good job but with the price cut in half for the Optane than what it was last year its looking more attractive.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Same as title.

Also how is the Optane SSD? You know, for science. But mainly how is the Raven?
I love it. It's currently unbeatable. It's going to be nerfed according to the Devs with the next patch. I got n mine on the gray market on eBay, the Optane is small and expensive and speeds things up by a second.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Problem with that is if the drive is returned then the ship is removed from your account according to the promotion.
I thought I had heard the policy was changed to only refund the money minus the price of the ship... about $200... sounds like a good plan but I don't think it would stand up in a legal battle....

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I thought I had heard the policy was changed to only refund the money minus the price of the ship... about $200... sounds like a good plan but I don't think it would stand up in a legal battle....
Terms and Conditions
In redeeming the Sabre Raven into your Star Citizen account through the Intel® Optane™ SSD promotion, you agree that this promotional item is non-refundable and has no value in store credit or in any virtual currency. You further agree that this promotional item is non-transferable, non-assignable, and may not be traded or gifted. The use of promotional items in game is subject in all other respects to the RSI Terms of Service and game EULA. The promotional item associated with the coupon code is only valid when used in conjunction with the Intel® Optane™ SSD promotional offer. If you return the purchased SSD, the Sabre Raven will be deleted from your account.
Emphasis by me and why I want the drive to go with it just to be safe.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Thank you all for being patient with me. One more question. Will this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167440

Work with this:https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4MX8265'

If so what slot does it go in? Would it go in the same slot as a GPU or one of the little slots above those?

-Edit- looking more closely it appears to go in the bottom PCIE slot, the long one like my GPUs. Confirm?
It can go in any PCIe x16 slot.

Forgot your password?