The Roadmap

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I like the roadmap a lot, provided they stick to the game plan and don't let things slip without early notification. I would probably take less than this for me to pee myself though. At some point you'll discover that it's becoming a constant danger even with bad news, or even just because.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks for this, I knew the roadmap exists but hadn't looked in ages, interesting reading. I note one or two ships I have been waiting for have slipped to Q4 - I expected this and expect them to slip again as other priorities come in.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I'll burn for this but here goes.

I don't get the rush to create the 600i when they could have done something like the Freelancer variants or at least 1 of em instead.
Or the 300 series rework since you know... half the backers own one and have done for years, and have been disappointed by it for years.

Also about SQ42, it makes me think certain ships being added are designed with a practical use in SQ42 like devs are saying "We need a ship that does X so player can do Y, hit up the ship builders with the required specs and tell them to step on it!".

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I absolutely love the roadmap. However, I'm quite fascinated by how remarkably little happens in 1425 man-months (475 people times 3 months). That's 118.75 man-years, way over a lifetime. Well, maybe they're working on stuff that's entirely invisible to us for now. Maybe it's only apparent in a few years or so.

Honestly, I got no idea what's going on. Love it.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I just hope network bind culling makes it in, it should be a huge improvement.
I'm a bit skeptical about that. Network bind culling is more a future proofing thing, than something that is going to have a high impact right now. As far as I'm concerned, Network Bind Culling can move out to sometime in 2019 if it can't be put into any of the Alpha 3.x's, then put it in alpha 4.x somewhere. What they need to concentrate on is the performance optimization task.

the TLDR;
The issue was explained at 29:30 in

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU0sMZbhqoU&t=2227s

starting with a workup and description of network bind culling, but pay particular attention to when the developer is talking about synchronous vs asynchronous threads on the client (he starts talking about that around 35:56) This is something that is affecting us right now.

Right now, our clients are doing many things in a synchronous way, that is the main thread stops processing and waits for data to come from worker processes. You can actually see when your client ... pauses... sometimes due to the main thread being blocked by a synchronous worker that is taking longer to execute. This is probably the #1 cause of crashes as well, since while your client is waiting for a synchronous worker, network packets are also being received, and cannot be processed.

In an asynchronous environment, worker threads do not stop the main thread from processing. It receives updates when the workers are completed. You may find your frame rate drops, but it should not be a ... pause...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Now that 3.1 has been released, I'm hoping that they will soon shift that off the page & add whatever comes in the next quarter after 3.4 to further display the progression charts. I'm also curious if they will stick with the 3.x format of patch naming until after 3.9 when 4.0 will be the obvious successor.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Or the 300 series rework since you know... half the backers own one and have done for years, and have been disappointed by it for years.

Also about SQ42, it makes me think certain ships being added are designed with a practical use in SQ42 like devs are saying "We need a ship that does X so player can do Y, hit up the ship builders with the required specs and tell them to step on it!".
The 300 series got better weapons, 2x S3 and 1x S4 for the 325. That works good. I tried the 325, the Gladius and the Delta in VS.
Most cause of death for the 325 and Delta are crashing into Vanduul wrecks. The Delta even got shot down once by Vanduuls.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I absolutely love the roadmap. However, I'm quite fascinated by how remarkably little happens in 1425 man-months (475 people times 3 months). That's 118.75 man-years, way over a lifetime. Well, maybe they're working on stuff that's entirely invisible to us for now. Maybe it's only apparent in a few years or so.

Honestly, I got no idea what's going on. Love it.
I think (more hoping) a lot of work is going into S42 that we haven't seen because it'll ruin the surprise of the gameplay and plot for us if we see the development of it :)

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Sweet, I've got a Hurricane.

I'm looking forward to the Polaris. Don't own one, but I will one day. Pretty disappointed it's not on the roadmap, but I heard that it's supposed to go into production after the 600i comes out, so after 3.2.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I like the roadmap a lot, provided they stick to the game plan and don't let things slip without early notification. I would probably take less than this for me to pee myself though. At some point you'll discover that it's becoming a constant danger even with bad news, or even just because.
You know they do sell Depend's in the super markets for just such situations.

Forgot your password?