Theorycrafting a DDR3 build.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hi chums.

TL;DR: Which were the last generation of AMD and Intel processors that worked with DDR3 RAM?

Full post:

I'm not exactly cash rich (I have more priorities than funds) and with the recent issues with my game PC I thought I'd better start looking into options for a new gaming machine that doesn't break the bank.

Of all the parts the current one is made of, the only thing I really want to keep is my DDR3 RAM, I've got 2x8gb and 2x4gb so feel that puts me at an advantage in keeping those sticks in a newer build.

Everything else I have thought about, i've got SSD's, PSUs and affordable GPUs come a new build, but it's the CPU which I've come across a bit of a block in my knowledge and was hoping I could get some advice:

Looking at the current generation of CPUs, they seems to be designed for DDR4 RAM which is incompatible with keeping the parts I want from my old build: Which were the last generation of AMD and Intel processors that worked with DDR3?

Many thanks for all responses and experiences :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Shit i'm having that issue with my older server as I look to upgrade it. None of the 128 GB of DDR3 work with any of the newer processors and it's bottling me.
Sorry to hear of your issues, however I'm glad i'm not the only one having this problem :slight_smile:

Reactions: Talonsbane

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Hi chums.

TL;DR: Which were the last generation of AMD and Intel processors that worked with DDR3 RAM?

Full post:

I'm not exactly cash rich (I have more priorities than funds) and with the recent issues with my game PC I thought I'd better start looking into options for a new gaming machine that doesn't break the bank.

Of all the parts the current one is made of, the only thing I really want to keep is my DDR3 RAM, I've got 2x8gb and 2x4gb so feel that puts me at an advantage in keeping those sticks in a newer build.

Everything else I have thought about, i've got SSD's, PSUs and affordable GPUs come a new build, but it's the CPU which I've come across a bit of a block in my knowledge and was hoping I could get some advice:

Looking at the current generation of CPUs, they seems to be designed for DDR4 RAM which is incompatible with keeping the parts I want from my old build: Which were the last generation of AMD and Intel processors that worked with DDR3?

Many thanks for all responses and experiences :slight_smile:
how much money are you looking to spend max and what is your current system build.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
how much money are you looking to spend max and what is your current system build.
As this is theorycraft the max spend is theoretical - as being older gen I can get ebay/clearance prices if I am clever.

The current build is:

AMD Phenom2 2.8Ghz (hex core - yes, a 2.8 runs SC in patch 3.2, later patches it may not though)
16gb DDR3 RAM installed (Motherboard limit) with another 8gb in a drawer - the Motherboard will be selected to allow for this.
2x 120gb SSD (one of which is about to implode, it appears)
GTX 750 2gb NOT the Ti version (Yes, it runs SC! At about 14 to 20 FPS)

The machine is in no way, shape or form perfect at playing the game, but it plays it... until it breaks, that is, and it's starting to make blue screens and show errors which, the internet says, is solved by turning off the monitoring system that raises the errors rather than fixing the errors! :smile:

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
As this is theorycraft the max spend is theoretical - as being older gen I can get ebay/clearance prices if I am clever.

The current build is:

AMD Phenom2 2.8Ghz (hex core - yes, a 2.8 runs SC in patch 3.2, later patches it may not though)
16gb DDR3 RAM installed (Motherboard limit) with another 8gb in a drawer - the Motherboard will be selected to allow for this.
2x 120gb SSD (one of which is about to implode, it appears)
GTX 750 2gb NOT the Ti version (Yes, it runs SC! At about 14 to 20 FPS)

The machine is in no way, shape or form perfect at playing the game, but it plays it... until it breaks, that is, and it's starting to make blue screens and show errors which, the internet says, is solved by turning off the monitoring system that raises the errors rather than fixing the errors! :smile:
Lol well ok what is your Theorycraft price it makes it very hard for me to build you something without a knowledge of the money you are willing to put forward. i can really make a dollar stretch but i need to know where the biggest constraint is and usually that is the cost of the unit. also what form factor is your current case and your power supply.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Lol well ok what is your Theorycraft price it makes it very hard for me to build you something without a knowledge of the money you are willing to put forward. i can really make a dollar stretch but i need to know where the biggest constraint is and usually that is the cost of the unit. also what form factor is your current case and your power supply.
Thank you for your kind help :slight_smile:

Form factor of current case is ATX, no idea what a PSU form factor is but it has all of these wires coming out of it and is rated to 450w. Willing to change both of these if needs must.

I've already looked into SSD's, have the DDR3 ram already, and have looked into GPU's and the 4gb 1050ti seems to be just the ticket for my budget and requirements (graphics can go to hell I just wanna play games).

For CPU I am willing to go between £50, to about £100, and might go as high as £250 if the unit is juuuuust right. I liked the look of the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 hex-core, a little steep in price but great everything else... but no worky with my DDR3.

Octo-core would be amazing, Hex-core would be great (more than happy with that) Quad-core would be tolerable and I'd live with it and I don't think SC works with anything less than that.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Thank you for your kind help :slight_smile:

Form factor of current case is ATX, no idea what a PSU form factor is but it has all of these wires coming out of it and is rated to 450w. Willing to change both of these if needs must.

I've already looked into SSD's, have the DDR3 ram already, and have looked into GPU's and the 4gb 1050ti seems to be just the ticket for my budget and requirements (graphics can go to hell I just wanna play games).

For CPU I am willing to go between £50, to about £100, and might go as high as £250 if the unit is juuuuust right. I liked the look of the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 hex-core, a little steep in price but great everything else... but no worky with my DDR3.

Octo-core would be amazing, Hex-core would be great (more than happy with that) Quad-core would be tolerable and I don't think SC works with anything less than that.
Ok i'll look into this tonight after i finish working on my house and let you know what i come up with.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ok i'll look into this tonight after i finish working on my house and let you know what i come up with.
Many thanks, please don't prioritize this over anything else so if you find your house needs some extra work please don't hesitate to do that over this :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have you tried searching for older parts on newegg?
I tried on PC Part Picker but realised I had no way of knowing if what it was showing me was actually true or not...

As example, I added my DDR3 RAM on there as the first thing, then went to CPU's and it said the Ryzen 1600 was compatible - Great - So added that and then went to Motherboards... Nothing. Right, so it isn't compatible then...?

I do trust them... just not that much.

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I tried on PC Part Picker but realised I had no way of knowing if what it was showing me was actually true or not...

As example, I added my DDR3 RAM on there as the first thing, then went to CPU's and it said the Ryzen 1600 was compatible - Great - So added that and then went to Motherboards... Nothing. Right, so it isn't compatible then...?

I do trust them... just not that much.
newegg.com

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
ditch the DDR3

my experience has been that once a new standard for memory goes mainstream, the older stuff gets really expensive really fast, so forget replacements or upgrades

you will be better off for the long haul paying a little more now for DDR4

Last edited:

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Well for AMD, I believe the last "big" generation chips that could work with DDR3 are the FX series. I'm currently running a 8320 bumped to 4.01GHz, but am planning an upgrade in a couple years.
SC is running ok with that, 16GB of ram, and a RX 580, all on a ssd.
For Intel, might have to look in the Intel Ark.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Drop DDR3.

You're gonna be using an old Intel CPU (okay except you'll have to look used since buying "new" old Intels is gonna be expensive) or an FX (they were bad on release and they've aged horribly).

Saving $130-150 on new RAM isn't worth it, just sell your current stuff to recoup a little of the price.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Where are you from Naff Naff anywhere near the UK?

Its gonna be darn hard to build a decent system around DDR2/DDR3 architecture as it's just so old no modern Motherboard supports it - and as you've found a lot of motherboards in those old days didn't support large amounts of RAM (16GB was pretty darn beefy at the time).

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Many thanks for all advice, I might have to start a saving pot and when the machine finally craps out use whatever is in it to get whatever is the best available for the price I finally have... So as far as AMD goes i'd be looking at FX line which weren't great performers... Many thanks for the info :)

Where are you from Naff Naff anywhere near the UK?

Its gonna be darn hard to build a decent system around DDR2/DDR3 architecture as it's just so old no modern Motherboard supports it - and as you've found a lot of motherboards in those old days didn't support large amounts of RAM (16GB was pretty darn beefy at the time).
Yep Lincolnshire UK - We invented the tank and thats pretty much where technology stopped round here so think WW1 and you're about there. ;)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I've got a soft spot for Lincolnshire as that's where me Grandad BUTUZ was born and bred.

I'll see what I can dig together!

Forgot your password?