(Thoughts) We are all invested. We believe in Star Citizen. We just have to be chill about it.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Star Citizen has potential. It has the potential to deliver the most epic shot to the nuts of the game industry's biggest "policymakers" - and the smallest of them as well. It can deliver the best goddamn experience we've ever had - and we're definitely getting it - for all time. I doubt even *Electronic Arts* or any other major publisher could measure up to what CIG is accomplishing today and in the future.

Even if people may detract or lambast something about CIG's process or the like, it's important to remember that if you're only hearing "good things" with something, it's often too good to be true.

An example: Let's say Product X has perfect 5-star reviews, and all the negative reviews have *mysteriously* disappeared, making it appear to be one of the better products in the market. But it turns out to be total dogshit.

The fact that Star Citizen elicits both positive and negative reactions is actually a net positive for Cloud Imperium Games. It means that they are being above-board and honest, instead of trying to suppress dissent in order to improve the appearance of their product.

Unlike a certain...product. I'm looking at you, Florida Man.

On top of that, when structured properly, the right kind of doubt/skepticism can be constructive for the product's lifetime and quality. Again, a net positive for Star Citizen. Now, I am not condoning FUD - I am saying, "If you see something looks funky to you, say something - but don't be rude about it."

I'm a writer and an artist. I know how it feels to get criticism, even if it's constructive. It feels like that person just set fire to the work you spent weeks on. But in the end, it's important to remember that as a creator, you have the ability to either accept or reject that criticism without causing a scene.

The same goes for those who are providing that criticism. It's important to not...*ragesmash* your keyboard to write a poorly-thought out rant - like I've done on occasion in the past, and have paid the consequences for - when you're trying to express a valid concern.

When you walk up to the door of the local mayor, do you do it while carrying pitchforks and torches, or do you do it carrying a petition?

When expressing your thoughts about Star Citizen, it's the same thing.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I've noticed the true reviews are the 3 or 4 stars, nothing is perfect and if it is then there can only ever be one of them.

I work in IT and we employ software developers and I remember a great guy called Rich saying "by all means, let me know what's wrong as the customer needs it to work". Literally the second I heard him say that I had my mind opened to the world of development, it's not about perfection, it's about producing a 1.0 release that works, it's about the endeavour to make that 1.0 release as good as your resources and budget can accommodate. It will never be perfect, ever.

I made a comment earlier about 3.0 taking too long but maybe I was too quick to judge, it's a monumentally huge game, bigger than any before it and I said they should hurry up. I hope they don't but also hope there is some kind of feature freeze in place to stop the creeping features of 3.0.

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Sorry no.

I would've agreed with you if 7 or so months ago Chris didn't tell us on stage "3.0 and Squadron42 vertical slice is right around the corner". I had no idea right around the corner meant a year later. I don't even call that misinformation anymore, that's straight up lying to us.

Had he simply said "We aren't even close", I'd be like "That sucks, see you next year!"

Let's not forget they had huge sales during that announcement, including that idris war pack or w/e.

Jokyr

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Jokyr
Things take time. they are pushing boundaries on what a game can do, as a result they are finding that some of these boundaries take longer than expected to be passed. I think it is far better that they take the time needed to get us the game they envision rather than rush to meet timetables that they thought were doable. Take a breath and remember what kind of games you get when developers rush to meet those kind of arbitrary timelines. Until then either enjoy what there is or find another game to pass your time until Star Citizen is ready, but do make sure to enjoy the wonderful community that we have around this game.

GrumpyCat

Space Marshal
Dec 17, 2014
RSI Handle
SofiyaPavlovena
Things take time. they are pushing boundaries on what a game can do, as a result they are finding that some of these boundaries take longer than expected to be passed. I think it is far better that they take the time needed to get us the game they envision rather than rush to meet timetables that they thought were doable. Take a breath and remember what kind of games you get when developers rush to meet those kind of arbitrary timelines. Until then either enjoy what there is or find another game to pass your time until Star Citizen is ready, but do make sure to enjoy the wonderful community that we have around this game.
I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. We have been saying as such since 2012. However blind fanaticism serves no one, and CIG should be help accountable when they blatantly mislead us.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So, the amazing thing about all the SC fans is that they are passionate about this game.

Unfortunately, one of the crappiest things about some SC fans is that they are so passionate about this game.

I get it, everytimes something works out right, I get really excited, and overtime I feel like the game is taking too long, I get a little depressed, and I'll even drop out and not play for 6 months or so.

As somebody who back way back in 2012, during the original campaign, I can tell you, the scope of this game has increased tremendously. I believe that is a great thing. However, as the scope has increased, so has the complexity, and thus so has the development time.

But, in the end, we will all get a much, much better game. When I look at what the game was going to deliver when I first backed (no first person combat, no planetary landings, only a couple of ships, etc.) and I look at the game now (WOW!) I can tell you, this is a much better game and will be worth the wait.

Yes waiting sucks, but when we get the final product, we'll probably forget all about this angst.

My respect for Chris Roberts has only increased during this whole development process. He has continually been extremely open about what is going on, and does not get overly worked up when people lash out about stuff.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
at last year's CitizenCon CR laid out four 'hard problems' that they needed to solve for 3.0

I don't recall the specifics, but it was back end, foundational stuff

never done before and hard to road map or schedule

not like building ships, or creating missions, where the pipeline and process are known quantities

I remember thinking, "I'll be happy if they deliver inside of a year."

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Sorry no.

I would've agreed with you if 7 or so months ago Chris didn't tell us on stage "3.0 and Squadron42 vertical slice is right around the corner". I had no idea right around the corner meant a year later. I don't even call that misinformation anymore, that's straight up lying to us.

Had he simply said "We aren't even close", I'd be like "That sucks, see you next year!"

Let's not forget they had huge sales during that announcement, including that idris war pack or w/e.

The marketing is definitely out of step with the realities of game development, I agree. It's one of my biggest complaints about the Star Citizen project at the moment.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
at last year's CitizenCon CR laid out four 'hard problems' that they needed to solve for 3.0

I don't recall the specifics, but it was back end, foundational stuff

never done before and hard to road map or schedule

not like building ships, or creating missions, where the pipeline and process are known quantities

I remember thinking, "I'll be happy if they deliver inside of a year."
I'll drink to that.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I am fortunate to have been around for a few patch launches now, but I do remember the salt I had during my first patch or two.

Even now I still have to sit back for a moment and tell myself "They have only just built the tools to build the game. We are not even in Beta, It all starts here really."

I can totally understand why people are steamed, I was in earlier days and would be surprised if we all didn't go though that patch of getting used to playing a game that has hardly started to be being built yet.

As for 'lies' yeah there have totally been a few over optimistic utterances (a very PC way of putting it) and we'd all be doing a lot better if they'd rein that in a bit - I am still convinced there is an office in the basement of CIG with "Community Engagement Department" on the door and a printed-off troll-face blu-tak'd on below it, who's main job is to make us keep talking about the game, even if that is by keeping us salty with a steady stream of warm horseshit.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
If you're unhappy about how they communicate dates, and maybe what some would consider "promises" ... I think it's good that THE most prominent thing they are bad at is this. It's not building the game that they suck at, thankfully xD

Y'all should know, Chris is a dreamer... he wants to have this product in his own hands as soon as possible, so he gets excited and perhaps unprofessional. It's kinda cute :P

Forgot your password?