Titan Armor Information & Discussion/Theory - Titans Are Coming!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Ah, just go find some Warhammer 40K drop pod insertions then. That game is pretty much the novel anyway. I don't know if there's ever been any official mention that they drew from the book but you can see it in a lot of their gear at least....maybe not so much the eugenics lol
40K is the OP version of everything. :)

40k Dreadnought in a Drop Pod, (A tactic I have used.) is a very nasty thing. :)

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
Planetside 2 offers a LOT of insight for powersuits - from being to OP against infantry to downright fragile against C4 / Vehicles / Anti-armor rounds.

The thing is, power armor in SC will be a planned and processed deployment, since you can't just go to a terminal and spawn one... and seeing that infantry already has missile and grenade launcher, I am confident we will find anti-armor rifles as well. This is all to say that power armor in SC is a high risk move!

Imagine, if ships will be designed to have physical components and allowing incoming shots to perfurate armor and hit them - imagine this fragile human body receiving hits from high pen weapons. I know this is speculation, but for now so is the Titan's capabilities.

If the infantry is poorly fitted a single Titan should mow them down easily. Same thing if they go against a simple URSA. But if anyone remembered versatility in they're loadout, thinking they can see one or two titans, vehicles, auroras... a team could make a stand with proper trainning, tatics and gear. Or you, just ram the titan with a big car or blow up a hole in the wall to vacuum him up to space!

I see it more as armor on the field, as in a mobile tank. The only thing that should be a threat to it is another titan or air/space craft. It should shrug off all small arms and antipersonnel weapons such as grenade launchers. Missiles if equipped with the right warheads should pose a threat and things like a railgun or planted AT mines but that's it. C4 isn't a cureall like movies and BF would have us believe.....it just blows up, it's used to apply force. If you place it IN something >designed< to direct that force the proper way then it can be a threat to armor. But just slapping a brick on something simply makes a big ball of rapidly expanding gas which, armor is kind of designed to defeat.

It would be a tiny tank for sure, but even so it should be fearsome and infantry's worst nightmare baring orbital bombardments.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I really hope not.

At least one comment on the SC subreddit thinks its also the Titan armor. Lets hope so.
I'm serious about the female armor. didn't they say that the original designs for most of it was based on the male model. I bet there is some unforeseen issue with adding chesticles to armor if your character that buys it is female or something.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Whatever Titan Armor is, it fits in the Tally dropship module for recharging. Probably will not fit in anything smaller, but one can always hope.

As to the EMP issue, my guess is they'd build it like a ship and certain kinds of funcitions will fail when pulsed, but not the whole suit. So target acquisition and aim aids would go down, but not the guns. Comms could be scrambled. Any special Jarvis type functions would fail. . .etc. Should still be able to run away after being pulsed, IMHO.

Best combat use. . .probably a pair of S1 laser gattlings, one in each arm, maybe a pair of small rocket pods on the shoulders, and carry a huge axe for opening tanks. That would be cool. Anyone remember the Axeman?

1602221340469.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Whatever Titan Armor is, it fits in the Tally dropship module for recharging. Probably will not fit in anything smaller, but one can always hope.

As to the EMP issue, my guess is they'd build it like a ship and certain kinds of funcitions will fail when pulsed, but not the whole suit. So target acquisition and aim aids would go down, but not the guns. Comms could be scrambled. Any special Jarvis type functions would fail. . .etc. Should still be able to run away after being pulsed, IMHO.

Best combat use. . .probably a pair of S1 laser gattlings, one in each arm, maybe a pair of small rocket pods on the shoulders, and carry a huge axe for opening tanks. That would be cool. Anyone remember the Axeman?

View attachment 18940
The concept art, so far, will not fit in a Tali module, except lying down. The modules have insufficeint height. You might be able to charge it, but combat deployment, not so much.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I'm serious about the female armor. didn't they say that the original designs for most of it was based on the male model. I bet there is some unforeseen issue with adding chesticles to armor if your character that buys it is female or something.
Height is probably the more limiting issue. Rigging changes.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Unfortunately this is likely but they don't seem to have had these issues for all the other armors. Or maybe they did.
The difference is that traditional armor have gap in them and can easily scale and tailored... basically just like a norma cloth do.

The Titan will be basically a vehicle that you DRIVE not wear, so for some degree size differences beteween gender could be a problem... on the other hand since is the user pilot the suite that could be easily adjusted by simply introduce adjustable section of the armor, kinda like a sliding seat on a car that you can move according to your hight: just keep the seat's torso section fixed and adjust the limb lenght by sliding the padding/control inside for example.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Bad news guys, but some hope form this week's Roadmap Roundup:

Mystery Armor
The Character team splits time between work on SQ42 and work on the PU, and in this case, work needed for a piece on Squadron took priority and required us to pull multiple artists to support it. Because of this shift, and factoring in the complicated nature of this armor (cloth simulation and rigging, animations), and the fact that we’re waiting on upcoming back-end tech, it would be cutting it too close to branch day to confidently include this card in Alpha 3.12. It has been removed from the roadmap for the time being, with the intention of including it in the Alpha 3.13 column when it is added. This card has been designated as “Mystery Armor” because the character team is excited to surprise you with a popular armor-set that you’ve actually already seen concepts of… While we’re also looking forward to this new set, we want to dispel the rumor that this is the Titan Suit. Not yet folks.
Not yet. I may be reading into it but they seem to know its something VERY MUCH looked forward to.

Forgot your password?